PDA

View Full Version : Helmet cams

the802
11-29-11, 09:43 PM
Does any body know where I can get a good helmet mounted camera? And soon...

thewookie
11-29-11, 09:54 PM
Going down on a WM?:banana:

elliscraig12
11-30-11, 02:04 AM
Going down on a WM?:banana:Is there a line?:thumbup:

sdk87to91
11-30-11, 04:30 PM
http://helmetcameracentral.com/

I cant testify to their site, but it looks good.
When I searched I also found
helmetcameraoutlet.com

If you can spend time surfing the web there are skiing and snowboarding videos available posted by camera companies almost like a commercial. Then youcan actually see which equipment they used and how good the quality is.

I wish I could remember where I saw it but recently I saw a video created by a skier with cameras mounted on both ski poles, one on the helmet, one on a wire about 2 feet above and behind his head, and one or two on his skitips. They combined all the footage to make a really great video.

FrankTheTank
11-30-11, 11:17 PM
Just go to Best Buy. That chain store is everywhere nowdays. They have a helemet cam there that has lasted through a year deployment in Afghanistan without too much trouble. Unless you are taking it diving, the thing works. They only had the one that I saw, so I wouldn't think it would be hard to find. What are you using it for?

the802
12-01-11, 11:11 AM
Deployment. Im leaving for Afghanistan in a week.

thewookie
12-01-11, 12:06 PM
Deployment. Im leaving for Afghanistan in a week.

And you have to buy your own cam? WTF - find out how much and I'll approach the members of my MCL and see if we can help you with the cost.

Is this an optional piece of gear, or required?

the802
12-01-11, 01:40 PM
Optional. I want to bring one for my own use. Im probably just going to buy a cheap digital camera.

thewookie
12-01-11, 02:36 PM
Optional. I want to bring one for my own use. Im probably just going to buy a cheap digital camera.

OK, well you're on your own then,, but if you get any good footage, send it to me and I'll put it on my YouTube channel -- just kidding. ;)

FrankTheTank
12-02-11, 01:56 AM
Only issue with helmet cams, some of the commands will not allow you to put them on, or attach them to any of your gear. Even having camers is sometimes a "no no", depending on where you are at and what you are doing. Just throwing it out there, you may purchase this thing and then not be able to use it. Good luck either way.

m14ed
12-02-11, 02:23 AM
Carefull what you take pictures of ,, a real quick way to end up in DEEP$hit if you aren't carefull.
Keep your head down, your ass covered, "SemperFidelis", and good luck Marine.
Prayers for you while you're gone

Some day, you'll look back this and laugh ???

doc h fmf
12-02-11, 04:40 AM
Stay Safe Jeff You Will Be In My Thoughts And Prayers
Semper Fi And Godbless My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Zulu 36
12-02-11, 06:38 AM
Only issue with helmet cams, some of the commands will not allow you to put them on, or attach them to any of your gear. Even having camers is sometimes a "no no", depending on where you are at and what you are doing. Just throwing it out there, you may purchase this thing and then not be able to use it. Good luck either way.

I happened to mention this to #1 daughter. She said they had a few wounded/KIA troops come through the Bagram hospital during her time there who were wearing helmet cams or some other sort. It was SOP to confiscate those cameras so they could be viewed by Intel and PR people. A lot of times the camera came back with the memory wiped, particularly if they captured the soldier/Marine getting hit or showed others getting hit. Sometimes the cameras didn't survive the IED or whatever.

They never kept the cameras as one of #1 daughter's jobs was ensuring all of the wounded troop's personal belongings went with them to Germany. Often the unit of the wounded Marine/soldier stripped those things in the field before the medevac and sent them on later.

thewookie
12-02-11, 09:14 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I would think most commands/units would only allow helmet cams and cams of that nature to be on people they want, when and where they want. The thought of some random Marine wearing helmet cams to capture video is funny, to me. I can see some Marine randomly wearing a helmet cam and in the same vision I see one of my old company GySgts or 1stShirts ripping the thing off their brain bucket and stomping it to death. :usmc: I could be wrong, but me think the PFC should be very discrete and careful in choosing what video they take.