PDA

View Full Version : Marines win top unit award for Iraq fight

thedrifter
11-04-03, 07:19 PM
Marines win top unit award for Iraq fight

ASSOCIATED PRESS
2:39 p.m. November 4, 2003

WASHINGTON – The Navy has awarded its highest unit honor to the Marines who invaded Iraq, pushed north to Baghdad and helped Army troops liberate the capital.

Navy Secretary Gordon England gave the Presidential Unit Citation to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force on Monday. The award is the highest given by the U.S. military to an entire unit.

Marine units have won 40 of the awards in the corps' 228-year history, the last coming in 1968 during the Vietnam War.

"This is the Oscar of unit awards," said Steven Mackey, head of the Marines' military awards branch. "The Medal of Honor is the most coveted award for individuals. The Presidential Unit Citation is the most coveted award for units."

The unit – called 1 MEF in military jargon – oversaw all of the more than 60,000 Marines involved in the Iraq war. Those Marines now may wear the Presidential Unit Citation ribbons on their dress uniforms.

The citation commends the Marines for their "extraordinary heroism and outstanding performance" during the invasion of Iraq. The Marines made the longest sequence of overland attacks in the corps' history, moving nearly 500 miles from the Kuwait border to areas north of Baghdad.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20031104-1439-marines-award.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

REDfella
11-04-03, 09:58 PM
those devil dogs deserve it!! just before our birthday too :)

lurchenstein
11-05-03, 01:23 AM
True to form, that's Marine Corps!

James82
11-22-03, 03:41 AM
I can say one thing, down the road I will remember this award. But most of all I will remember serving with the unit I did. The 5th Marines. My wishes and blessings to all who I have and all who I will server with in the future.

bobpage
11-22-03, 12:33 PM
I too wear it with pride. Just help us old times square away the knuckleheads on which side is up. PUC - blue up CAR - blue towards the center of the chest. Help 'em out.