PDA

View Full Version : Dependents

Sadeghian
11-23-11, 09:22 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I had a question about dependents.

Can I get my parents to be my dependents? I remember this question being asked in receiving but for the life of me I cannot remember the answer. I ask because I would like to place my parents under my health benefits. Any insight would be appreciated

SSgtRSD
11-23-11, 10:31 PM
I do not believe so. There may be a catch in regards to the exceptional family member program if you are their legitimate care provider (and this is just a guess). However, if this is just due to your parents not having insurance or not as good, no.

DanM
11-24-11, 12:28 AM
Older document,but will give you reference material and starting info.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/hqbat/Documents/BAH%20Manual.pdf

Apache
11-24-11, 09:05 AM
Follow the document provided
I think similar ti IRS laws-if you provide the majority of Thier support you got a chance at it

Sadeghian
11-24-11, 02:44 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I was able to find the answer in that document, and it looks like I MIGHT be eligible, I have to check with my chain of command to be sure.

Parks
11-25-11, 02:51 PM
Generally speaking, it's very difficult to add a parent, let alone two, as a dependent. Basically you have to prove to HQMC that you supply 50% of your parent's income. This requires a bunch of documentation and in most circumstances you have to have been providing at least 50% support for a minimum of six months.

Basically, you need to fill out a DD 137-3, conduct an audit at your IPAC/admin unit, and provide the appropriate source documents. At that point, the admin unit will submit all of this to MRP-1 (HQMC office for Secondary Dependency Determinations) and they will review your case. They are the people that approve or deny your claim. No one else. If they approve it, you'll be able to get BAH (if you aren't already) and your parents will be allowed to get military IDS and have access to TriCare. You have to get reapproved every single year or else MRP-1 will automatically drop them. Pain in the butt, trust me. Now, if you get denied, they will send you a letter stating the reasons behind it and you can reapply.

When you fill out the form, you need to fill out EVERY SINGLE BLOCK. Even if it doesn't apply, you need to write N/A in the space. And make sure you get it notarized. Way too many people ignore that last part. If it's not notarized or completely filled out, you'll get denied straight off the bat.

I recommend calling MRP-1 (703-784-9529). They can help you with the process and let you know if you should apply and what documentation you need to submit.

Sadeghian
11-25-11, 02:58 PM
Damn, thanks LCpl, I didn't realize there was such a process involved.

Parks
11-25-11, 05:24 PM
Anytime. Let me know if you have any more questions. I usually talk with my POC there at least once a month. The process is worth it if you really fo meet the requirements.

And of course if you have any other admin issues, I'm all ears.

Sadeghian
11-26-11, 02:39 AM
kill