PDA

View Full Version : To go back in... Or not to go back in...

Sgt Dude
11-21-11, 01:02 PM
Good morning,

First time poster here. Been struggling with thoughts of going back in for a few months now, thought I'd share my thoughts and see if anyone is or was going through the same thing.

I got out of the Marines in Sep 2010. I did not want to, at all. Since I was a fresh boot I always knew I was doing 20+ years in the Corps. I wanted to be a 1st Sgt one day. That was my dream, the scariest rank in the Marine Corps was always the 1st Sgt to me.

When I returned from Afghanistan in Dec 2009 I came into a job that I absolutely hated. This started to put a really bitter taste in my mouth and that's when I started strongly considering getting out. But, I didn't want to. So I decided to try to become an 0211 CI.

Everything went smoothly with my package. I qualified head over heels on all tests, namely scoring a 122 on the DLAB and a 12.9 on the education test. Everything was going perfectly until I made the one mistake a Marine should never make, believing I was smarter than everyone else.

I lied. About my drug history and my financial stability. They found out, hit me with integrity violator, and said "try again in 6 months." At this point it was July 2010 and my EAS for Sep 5th, it was too late to re-enlist and all boat spaces were full. I was forced to get out. So upon getting out I decided to give it a shot. Going back to school, getting a job, the works.

Fast forward a year later. Lost my Girlfriend due to depression, moved back home, now living at home unemployed and struggling in school.

Everyday I miss the Marines. I loved the Corps. Sure the bull**** sucks sometimes, but the happiest time in my life was the 7 months I spent in Afghanistan with my Marines.

So here's my question and where I'm at. I qualify for any job I want to do in the Marines. 120 GT score, 295 PFT, Sgt, 122 DLAB, SQ1 Swimming.

If I want to go back in, what should I be expecting, and looking for, to take care of myself. I don't want to go to Japan, not yet at least, I want to be stationed at Pendleton or Miramar till I get situated back in, then I'm down for whatever. I'm considering going Intel field, then once I'm back in my devil dog mindset, attempting to get into 0211 again.

Thoughts? Thank you.

thewookie
11-21-11, 01:12 PM
but the happiest time in my life was the 7 months I spent in Afghanistan with my Marines.

It's funny we always hang onto the good memories a lot longer. Think long and hard, Marine: sure you'll have plenty of good times if you go back,, but a lot more sh1tty ones. I'm sure if you could stay overseas away from the majority of the BS you would,, but the reality is you can't.

Might get better with rank, but you got to get there.

Good luck, Marine. I offer no real advice, just my random after lunch thoughts.

Good luck.

Semper Fi

SGTBAKER
11-21-11, 05:44 PM
Good luck Devil Dog!!!!

Tennessee Top
11-21-11, 10:02 PM
It's nice that you want to go back in but from everything I've seen on here lately (plenty of former Marines have wanted to do the same thing with no luck) the USMC will not give you that option. In case you have not noticed, our Corps is downsizing and you had your shot at staying in. If you're lucky, they may give you a reserve billet. Reading recent posts on here from others in your situation, prior service recruiters are not even talking to anyone right now.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

Master Sergeant, USMC(Ret)

iamspartacus
11-22-11, 05:46 PM
I was in your situation not too long ago. I actually got off active duty the very same month you did. Took me about 8 months to get the itch to go back in. I won't go into my story, but basically I just missed being connected with the Marine Corps. I'm now in the SMCR doing the one weekend a month, two weeks a year gig. For people in the IRR who look good on paper (i.e. have a clean record, no NJPs, no disqualifying tattoos, etc), and are motivated to get back in, it's pretty easy to go reserves. I did it no problem. I contacted a PSR (prior service recruiter) and it was just a matter of finding a unit who had an opening for my MOS and wanted me. So if you're willing to stay in your MOS and go reserves, I think that option is very feasible for you.

However, if you're looking to lat move... I wouldn't count on it. When I was getting back in (about 5 months ago) my PSR said the Corps isn't paying to re-train Marines in a different MOS. As Top said, the Corps is downsizing and it's not willing to put out much money right now.

As for active duty, I don't know about that. I never tried to go active. But I kind of got the impression that it may be a little more tricky to go active than reserves.

You also can go the active reserve route. Again, I don't know how hard it is to get into, but it's basically like you're on active duty. You're a full time Marine, but you're in the "active reserves" (which is different than the SMCR or "drilling reserves"). That may be something to talk with a PSR about.

If you're looking to get back in and submerse yourself in the Corps, the drilling reserves is not what you're looking for. Personally, I like the reserves. Is it the "Marine Corps experience"? No. It's good if you're looking to get your Marine Corps fix once a month. You live the civilian life throughout the month and for a few days you put on your uniform and be a Marine. You show up on Friday all motivated, and come Sunday night you're sick of it and remember why you got out in the first place. But it's all good, because you go back to civilian life on Monday. Then next month comes around and you're motivated again. It's a vicious cycle.

Good luck!