PDA

View Full Version : Going Active to Reserves

Marine02231986
11-20-11, 08:01 AM
Hey gents,

Im currently stationed in Tagaz, Afghanistan as an advisor for the Afghan Border Police. Ive been in six years done two tours in Iraq and I'm thinking about going from active duty to reserves. I'am an 0241 Imagery Intelligence Analyst stationed in Camp Lejeune. Is there anyone that can give me some advice or help on this. Do I pick the reserve unit I want to be with? What will the pay difference be for a sergeant thats married? What are the deployment cycles like for a reservist? If anyone can help me it would be great.

Thank you

SSgtRSD
11-20-11, 08:46 AM
You can find the pay charts online. Understand, Reserve pay will only cover your tricare reserve select (not free as you are used to, and not all inclusive) and maybe gas mileage depending how far away you live. Breing married will not effect monthly drill pay. Deployment cycles depend on the unit. For instance my old unit, a HQ Btry has not deployed as a Btry in decades, but only augments a few at a time. Other units are on a regular rotation schedule. I would think long and hard, as the grass is not typically greener....

Zulu 36
11-20-11, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the economy isn't doing very well out here and reserve drill pay won't pay all of the bills. If the Corps will let you re-up, think hard about doing that.

weapons124
11-20-11, 06:40 PM
dont go reserve man....its not even close to fleet life. In 14 years you will have a retirement man, If I were you I would stay in. You will choose a reserve unit that is in your area, if they dont rate your MOS they will most times re train you for another, or just keep you as you are. For Example we are a Weapons Co and we took aboard a 1171 in HQ platoon because he is 10 mins from our HTC. We dont rate that mos at all either. As far as pay, depends on the weekend. Could be a 2, 3 or up to 5 drill weekend. Expect to make around 250 bucks minus sgli etc. There is more downtown on the reserve side than anything. Alot to think about man!