PDA

View Full Version : Advice? going over seas!

data0651
11-16-11, 02:20 PM
I just got orders to Japan for JAN 10th 2012. to the Marine Corps I am Single but I want Marry my Girl Friend over the 20 days of leave I will be getting before i go over there... I know with my rank she can not go and we are fine with that but i want to be able to support her while I am gone Will getting Married to her over the holidays cause things to screw up? I really want to go to Japan allways have. I just figured id ask for some advice on here. Bottom line I will Marry this girl but i do not want it to screw up my orders... Thank you and Semper Fi!

MOS4429
11-16-11, 03:18 PM
Bottom line: Getting married now is a stupid move.

If you plan on being married for life, she'll be there when you get back and then get married. You may be an NCO by then, which will put you in a better position.

If she will not wait till you get back, then it is a marriage that should not happen.

Zulu 36
11-16-11, 03:25 PM

If you plan on being married for life, she'll be there when you get back and then get married. You may be an NCO by then, which will put you in a better position.

If she will not wait till you get back, then it is a marriage that should not happen.

I agree 110%.

Tennessee Top
11-16-11, 03:26 PM
What's the hurry? You won't be together anyway. So, wait, save your money, pick up a promotion, and marry her when you get back. Use the separation to see if your relationship will survive the test (my marriage did not survive my first set of orders to OKI; my ex hooked up with Jody and decided she wanted to stay with him so that's what she did...her loss).

sempidr
11-16-11, 03:38 PM
data,
Listen to the guys that have been there, and have already shredded the t-shirt.
What can also happens, is, you get married, are separated a
lot, and then you get out. You find out you can't live with each other more than two or three months at a time. Happens more often than you think. Happend to me in 1970. We had been married for four years, but two tours overseas, going to schools, and really never being together for more than 6 months at a time, it took one year after I was out to realize we could not live with each other, the rest of our lives. One of us would have gone to prison a long time.
MOS4429 is right on. If it is meant to be, it will last, and she will be there when the right time arrives.

Good luck with what ever YOU decide, Marine.
Take advantage of your free time in Japan, and learn all you can about the people and the culture. It's knowledge that will make you a better Marine/Person.

Sempidr

advanced
11-16-11, 07:03 PM
I think it's a great idea, go ahead and get married. Of course I've only been married 4 times, but each time it get better.

data0651
11-16-11, 11:02 PM
.... Thanks Gentelmen and yea I know you all are right about everything! lol not what i wanted to hear but its truth nun the less so thank you... if we can make it two years then its somthing that will last when we finaly do tie the knot!

Marine1955
11-16-11, 11:43 PM

Don't do it yet wait !!!!!!

When you get back see how you and her feel.. besides a little apart time might help you both out. they say absents makes the heart grow fonder..
But they never met my slut of a first wife. OH chit did I say that..
Think about this just think if your sexually active right now and you leave and go over seas for one year who to say she's not going to have urges and in other words get horny like I'm sure you will and want to satisfy them urges .. you can't say she go to her room and grab her little toy and pleasure herself with it every time and along with you I know a hard Dick has no conscious and when your over there and your buddies say lets hit creep street and get some and if you've been drinking like most Marines do you slide right down there and get your freak on and get out. and say later OH chit what did I do and you'll want to call and say I'm sorry for messing up so don't get married yet wait till you get back from over seas and see how things are between you and her, and if you still feel like you want to marry her then please go ahead and marry her. but wait till you get back...
good luck and hope you have a good tour overseas.. I did...:thumbup:

tripledog
11-17-11, 01:49 AM
Heu Advanced, two more and you got pall bears.

Ill tell you the truth, if the Marines EXPECTED you to have a wife, they would issue you one. Now if you dont like the one they give you, you get to take your pick since DADT !!

Quinbo
11-17-11, 02:21 AM
I think it is ill advised for any Marine without a hash mark to get married. It is financially hard.

RNC
11-17-11, 02:44 AM
I got orders to Iwakuni, Japan in 1983. 12 month tour. I liked it so much, I extended for another 12.
My advice is to get engaged while you're on leave. That way, you affirm your committment to her and there is no need to set a date. When you come home, if you both still want to get married, set a date then.
2 years seems like a long time, when your young. Trust me, it's a blink of the eye. You can use leave to go back for visits. Wait 6 months or so, and have her come to visit you. It will be a great experience for her. Maybe meet half way, in Hawaii. Regadless, you can survive the seperation, if you really want to.
Otherwise, make the best of your time in Japan. Take some college courses (stick with the basics, math, science and language). Get scuba certified. The air stations even have flying clubs that will let you earn a pilots license, get a night job. Make sure to see as much of the country as you can. Be polite and kind to the locals and make friends with them. Don't spend too much time in the bars. Save a little money, if you can.

Edit;
One more thing, if you deploy, don't go ***** chasing. A nice Japanese girl isn't hard to find. All you have to do is talk to them. They are as curious about you as you are about them. I know, your girl is back home, but a young man has needs. Be realistic.

boomer56328
11-17-11, 03:27 AM
Maybe i'm the minority, but I got married while I was still an E-3 and everything worked out great for me and my wife. Granted I didn't have orders to a permanent duty station oversees, but I was married for about the last 3 years of my enlistment and I was gone for about 2 of them. Between work-ups, deployment, 9-11, Afghanistan, work-ups for Iraq (because everyone knew we were going), and then finally a deployment to Iraq, I was gone a lot. I'm not saying to go an get married but eventually you have to do what you think is right. Also my wife and I weren't straight out of high school either which I think helped us.

On another note, maybe it was because she worked, but my wife and I never struggled financially while I was active duty. We actually did very well. I think it was more because we didn't need a lot and didn't have kids. Now that I have kids I can tell the financial burden is much heavier.