PDA

View Full Version : Reserves

0311chuck
11-16-11, 12:23 PM
Whats going on gents

I have a few questions, maybe some of you motivators can help me out. Little background I was active for 4 years-active contract ended in the beginning of 2009. I am currently IRR, but I am about to re-enlist with the reserves at a local unit.

1.) Is it possible to go back to IRR status, if so what is the process like?
2.) Will it have a negative impact on my USMC record, if I do decide to do this?
3.) Are there specific reasons in which they will allow you to go back to IRR status? Are there reasons where they will not let you go back to IRR status?

First & foremost I do not have plans of going reserves & ditching out as I do still want to be a part of my beloved Corps, however if the **** hits the fan. And I have a family, relocate, get a solid career, or the unit is just a bunch of bag nastys, etc. I would like to have the option to go back to IRR status, and I was wondering how exactly does this type of thing work. If there was a thread about this already I apologize, I have seen a few threads but have not seen any definitive answers.

Thank you for any responses
Semper
Sgt. V

Blutic
11-21-11, 09:34 PM
Marines that have been active duty (or that have completed their initial reserve contract) are not obligate to stay in the SMCR (this is active drilling reserve in case you didn't know). They can drop to the IRR at any time provided that they have not been issued orders for a deployment. Dropping to the IRR from the SMCR doesn't have a negative impact on your record per se but common sense would tell you that someone that bounces in and out of the SMCR would probably not be rated as well as someone that consistently drills, deploys, etc. IRR time is also not going to count for retirement years unless you do MCI/Marinenet courses, or get enough retirement points some other way ie funerals.

Marinefelon
11-22-11, 05:28 PM
Whats going on gents

I have a few questions, maybe some of you motivators can help me out. Little background I was active for 4 years-active contract ended in the beginning of 2009. I am currently IRR, but I am about to re-enlist with the reserves at a local unit.

1.) Is it possible to go back to IRR status, if so what is the process like?
2.) Will it have a negative impact on my USMC record, if I do decide to do this?
3.) Are there specific reasons in which they will allow you to go back to IRR status? Are there reasons where they will not let you go back to IRR status?

First & foremost I do not have plans of going reserves & ditching out as I do still want to be a part of my beloved Corps, however if the **** hits the fan. And I have a family, relocate, get a solid career, or the unit is just a bunch of bag nastys, etc. I would like to have the option to go back to IRR status, and I was wondering how exactly does this type of thing work. If there was a thread about this already I apologize, I have seen a few threads but have not seen any definitive answers.

Thank you for any responses
Semper
Sgt. V

If you join a reserve unit DO NOT TAKE A BONUS. If you do.. then you are under contract. You can call MOBCOM and have them email you a re-enlistment package. You can do most of it yourself. Or call a prior service recruiter in your area. You can drop back to the IRR whenever you want. You can even take active orders (I am doing this right now) and if you don't like your job you can de-mob back to your parent command.

Its actually awesome because you can pick and choose deployments and where you want to go .... if you want to go active duty to another country or do something stateside you can. If you get bored.... you can go home