PDA

View Full Version : USMC to be based in Australia

CplQuick
11-16-11, 10:59 AM
Obama visit: Australia agrees US Marine deployment plan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15739995

16 November, 2011

Australia has agreed to host a full US Marine task force in the coming years, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced at a news conference with US President Barack Obama in Canberra.

She said about 250 US Marines would arrive next year, eventually being built up to 2,500 personnel.

The deployment is being seen as a move to counter China's growing influence.

But Mr Obama said the US was "stepping up its commitment to the entire Asia-Pacific", not excluding China.

"The main message that I've said, not only publicly but also privately to China, is that with their rise comes increased responsibility," he said.

"It is important for them to play by the rules of the road."

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin questioned whether the move was in keeping with the region's peaceful development.

"It may not be quite appropriate to intensify and expand military alliances and may not be in the interest of countries within this region," he was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

The Global Times, a newspaper produced by the Communist Party-controlled People's Daily group, has been much more bellicose, says the BBC's Damian Grammaticas in Beijing.

An editorial warned (http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/ID/684097/Australia-could-be-caught-in-Sino-US-crossfire.aspx) it was "certain" that if "Australia uses its military bases to help the US harm Chinese interests, then Australia itself will be caught in the crossfire".

Luo Yuan, a senior officer at the People's Liberation Army's Academy of Military Sciences told the paper (http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/ID/684012/Sino-US-war-unlikely-but-not-impossible.aspx) that while neither the US or China wanted to start a war, "if China's core interests such as its sovereignty, national security and unity are intruded on, a military conflict will be unavoidable".

Alliance honoured

The US president flew into Canberra from this weekend's Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (Apec) forum in Honolulu.

The visit comes as the two countries mark a 60-year security alliance.
Ms Gillard said about 250 Marines would be deployed on a rotational basis in northern Australia from next year.

"Australia will welcome deployments of a company-size rotation of 200 to 250 Marines in the Northern Territory for around six months at a time," she said.

"Over a number of years we intend to build on this relationship in a staged way to a full force of around 2,500 personnel, that is a full Marine air-ground task force."

Analysts said the deployment was the biggest in Australia since World War II.

Mr Obama said the deployment would allow the US to "meet the demands of a lot of partners in the region" in terms of training, exercises and "security architecture".

Later in his visit the US leader is due to visit a memorial in Darwin to honour US and Australian soldiers killed during World War II.

Mr Obama has twice cancelled visits to Australia in the past - in March 2010 as he worked to pass healthcare reform legislation and then in June the same year amid the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

After his stop in Darwin, Mr Obama flies to Indonesia for a summit of Asian leaders.

R Landry
11-16-11, 11:46 AM
Throw a shrimp on the barbie for me.

Zulu 36
11-16-11, 12:09 PM
Can I get back in?

CplQuick
11-16-11, 12:13 PM
Throw a shrimp on the barbie for me.

:thumbup:

and Zulu, I was thinking the same thing..... sigh :beer:

DWG
11-16-11, 12:57 PM
2500 Marines vs 2.5 million chinese? Sounds about right. Remember Chosin! :mad:

sempidr
11-16-11, 01:30 PM
2.5 million Chinese????????????
What did I miss?

The ladies there would make this one choice duty station.
S-

DWG
11-16-11, 01:45 PM

But Mr Obama said the US was "stepping up its commitment to the entire Asia-Pacific", not excluding China.

"The main message that I've said, not only publicly but also privately to China, is that with their rise comes increased responsibility," he said.

Last estimates of Chicom army 2.2 million +

Other than that, hell yeah! Oz is the place to be for beer and broads. :thumbup:

Apache
11-16-11, 01:46 PM
I will sign for "Indefinate"
When do we sail-fly-other ?

sempidr
11-16-11, 02:20 PM

Last estimates of Chicom army 2.2 million +

Other than that, hell yeah! Oz is the place to be for beer and broads. :thumbup:

Only reason I questioned the 2.5Mil is the fact that the Chinese Reserve and Chinese Paramilitary units are closer to being active than you would like to believe. The number that the US has to worry about is closer to
4.5 million armed troops being available.
Been there. Built toys and consumer products over there since 1996. Was in Hong Kong for the Chinese take over, and I swear they had 3 million troops on the border for that. It was scary. We had to hide all our cameras. Anyone caught taking pictures of the military would disappear.

Sempi

Kegler300
11-16-11, 02:49 PM

That's what I was thinking...

MOS4429
11-16-11, 03:14 PM
Is this the beginning of the New Cold War?

rufus1
11-16-11, 03:26 PM
I'll take some of that duty!!!!!!!

Cpl Heglar
11-16-11, 03:31 PM
Bring them Commies on, Talk of war scare anyone here? Def not me.

Tennessee Top
11-16-11, 03:35 PM
That doesn't sound like the USMC is going away in the near future! That sounds like the country using it as the expeditionary force the CMC sees it as!! Very positive news.

Zulu 36
11-16-11, 04:02 PM
Positive news, but think of what is going on. Obama sending 2,500 Marines to show U.S. resolve in confronting China. Wow. If I was the Chinese premier, I'd be quaking in my Mao suit over the thought of a whole 2,500 Marines facing off against my 2-million plus man army.

I don't care how bad-assed we are, 2,500 jarheads is nothing when it comes to showing "determination." A whole MEF might show some resolve, but not one MEU sized unit.

Obama is such a retard. And they called Bush an idiot.

DWG
11-16-11, 04:46 PM
[quote=sempidr;820639]Only reason I questioned the 2.5Mil is the fact that the Chinese Reserve and Chinese Paramilitary units are closer to being active than you would like to believe. The number that the US has to worry about is closer to
4.5 million armed troops being available.
Been there. Built toys and consumer products over there since 1996. Was in Hong Kong for the Chinese take over, and I swear they had 3 million troops on the border for that. It was scary. We had to hide all our cameras. Anyone caught taking pictures of the military would disappear.

Sempi[/quote

I wouldn't worry about the extra 2 million until they had finished the first 2.5! :marine:
HELL, enjoy the beer, the ladies and the races. :beer: It's all good until the shooting starts. Oz really has more problems with muslims than the chinese, and I don't doubt the chinese won't have an eventual problem with the hadjis too.

rufus1
11-16-11, 06:07 PM
Send them on the Marines can stack them up like cord wood! It is always better to have multiple targets to choose from anyway or better yet just shoot in among them on automatic.

Old Marine
11-16-11, 07:28 PM
For the surfers. They have some very big water over there, and very large great white sharks to go along with it.

FistFu68
11-16-11, 08:59 PM
:beer: Going on R&R Too New Zealand doin Sum Fishing or Stag Hunting!!!Not to Mention for You Single YoungBucks how Beautiful those Round Eyed Ladies Down Under are and How they Love U.S.Marines...And tha Southern Cross is a Sight to Behold...That's Why it was Put on tha 1st.Marine Division Patch...S/F :beer::iwo:

sgt tony
11-16-11, 09:46 PM
send me please please I take a rank reduction even

boomer56328
11-16-11, 11:37 PM
Just a side note. I was in Darwin with the 15th MEU on 9/11 in 2001. I still remember shore patrol come storming into the bar we were at and telling us to get our a**es back to the ship. Our first reply wasn't vey kind but then he told us why. I think that bus ride back to the Peleliuwas the most surreal moment of my life. That's when I realized s**t was going to get real serious.