PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for son? ideas?

jdubbya
11-12-11, 09:51 PM
I'm looking for a fitting gift for my son this Christmas. He turns 21 in early December, and this wil be his first Christmas at home in three years, since joining the Corps. I'd like to go with something related to his service but coming up short on ideas. Was considering an engraved KABAR but not sure if this is something he'd like. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.
Thanks!

SlingerDun
11-12-11, 10:45 PM
Is he still stationed at Bremerton or Whidbey Island?

jdubbya
11-12-11, 11:51 PM
Is he still stationed at Bremerton or Whidbey Island?

Yes, he's still at the Naval Base there.

SlingerDun
11-13-11, 01:13 AM
Guided drift fishing trip on the Olympic Peninsula. Christmas is about the time when Winter Steelhead enter the system on coastal rivers and streams. All he would need to bring is a one day angling license/harvest tag, lunch, rain gear

Quality civilian rucksack with laptop sleeve - Starbucks gift card. Everybody around the PACNW carry's packs, waterproof packs are highly coveted

sparkie
11-13-11, 08:07 AM
I've been looking at military watches for mine. Google comes up with some nice stuff.

The DUKE
11-13-11, 10:15 AM
Just a thought,
many years ago,
when my two boys got big enough to decide what they wanted to get dad for Christmas,
they hit upon a novel idea.
They started a Zippo lighter collection for me,
I was retried USMC so they got together and every year they got me a new zippo with some kind of engraving or emblem of my years of service to the US.
Since then I have started the same thing for them ,
since they started their careers in the US military,
One US Army,
one US NAVY,
we get each other zippo's for Christmas and I have got an extensive collection,
they purchased me a hard collectors case a few years into the collection,
so that's what we do,
you don't have to be a smoker to be a collector,
the engraved ones are one of a kind because they're done on a personal level they also have limited edition ones ,
so your not limited to the military side of it if he's into other things,
sports, events, special people, all kinds of things.

Zulu 36
11-13-11, 11:40 AM
A good Leatherman tool is always a plus, if he doesn't already have one. It was one of the most useful things I carried in the field.

jdubbya
11-13-11, 05:06 PM
Some great suggestions! THanks for your ideas. Gives me a lot to go on. Sometimes I think he'd simply like cash, but I want him to have a remembrance (although it's going to cost him about a grand to fly home, so he could use the money!)

FoxtrotOscar
11-13-11, 06:05 PM
Some great suggestions! THanks for your ideas. Gives me a lot to go on. Sometimes I think he'd simply like cash, but I want him to have a remembrance (although it's going to cost him about a grand to fly home, so he could use the money!)

FYI, I'm located here on the Olympic Peninsula, if you lean towards a fishing trip as suggest by Dun.. drop a line and I can send you in the right direction..