PDA

View Full Version : That salty feeling

Bruce59
11-12-11, 08:42 AM
I believe theirs just one time in a Marines tour of duty when he or she have this feeling of being
salty. And that feeling all takes place in just two places, PI or SD. OK this would be, as they say
back in the day, when we wore olive drape utility's and we had boot that had to be shined.
You would be just about 3/4 through boot and a new platoon as just arrived, about one week ago.
They still have that confused look on their faces, there uniforms are shiny new olive drape look that
haven't been washed yet, and they all looked like refuges from a grab bag were nothing quite fits yet,
there covers were not boxed yet and the bills didn't have that nice curve in them. And their you were
your uniforms were faded and fit like a glove, your boots were bloused, your covers were boxed and
fit, you looked like Marines and you felt salty. As your platoon looked at the new guys you saw in
them what you looked like when you were a week in, not a pretty picture. And I think this was the
only time in my four years in the Corps I felt salty, its that time just before graduation when you can
see the end in sight, I just loved that feeling of being salt, it just felt good.

Mongoose
11-12-11, 10:15 AM
I got in Country the summer of 68. The next day, was flown out to the bush to join the 3/26. I don't remember what I was expecting, but I do know it was a jolt to reality. I stuck out like a bright light in a dark sky. The plt. Sgt. told me, don't get to comfortable, we won't be here very long. No one talked to me very much, I sort of kept to myself. That same night I got baptized. Went on my first night ambush. About 3 hours into it, we made contact. What happened was an intense 30 min. fire fight. Although I was scared shetless before, after the rounds started flying, I forgot about it. Everything happened so fast, you didn't have time to be scared. We had 2 wounded, but came out alright. When we got back that morning, I couldn't count the number of Marines that came up and started talking to me. All had one thing to convey, welcome to the Nam, Marine. That's the one day I felt like a salty Marine. Never experienced that feeling again.

Zulu 36
11-12-11, 10:17 AM
I think my "saltiest" moment came when I was a Sergeant and I went to MCRD San Diego on Family Day to see my brother. I wore Charlies, all of my brag rags, and made certain I was super squared away.

I was BSing with his DIs like they were old pals of mine and we schemed ways to mess with my brother. Calling him over, and ordering him to do bends and thrusts. Only made him do about ten before I stopped him. Just making a point. Evidently his DIs made him do extra stuff later "in honor of your brother."

He was kind of p*ssed. I felt salty. :marine:

RNC
11-14-11, 01:12 AM
I started to feel pretty salty after enjoying some time at a few legendary Marine Corps liberty spots. Tiajauna, B.C. street and Olongapo City.

FistFu68
11-14-11, 02:05 AM
:beer: Oh Yeah I remember it very well...I was on Gate Duty at Henderson Hall,wearing those Trop's...Had a crease so fine in them that a Worm could have,cut Himself in 1/2 like slidding down a Straight Razor.I was tha Most A.J.Squared away Marine on that Duty Station.Since I had just gotten Busted from Cpl.to PFC...For Drinkin and Fightin'...Here I am when a Vehicle with a 3 Star Flag on it Roll's up to Tha Gate.I'm doin My ROBOT action and Salute Tha Driver Very Smartly.The rear Window Roll's down about 1/2 Way...Tha Lt.General was Eyeballing My 4 Rows of Ribbons...Jump Wing's and Shooting Badges and Goes,PFC.What unit were You with.I goes Sir.India Company 3rd Bn.26Th.Marine Regt.He Roll's tha window back up.About 5 Min's later The Duty NCO...Comes too Releave Me and Yell's at Me too Git up to Tha C.O's Office.I pound on tha Hatch,and when told to Enter Lt.General.Lew Walt,said I do not Salute Non NCO's Son.Then Right there on Tha Spot they Promoted Me Back too Cpl...That Lasted until My Next Liberty in Georgetown...Busted again :beer::iwo:

advanced
11-14-11, 06:58 AM
My saltiest moment came soon after I was moved from the 1/5 to the 3/5. I had been there at An Hoa for a few days when we received a bunch of replacements FNG's and I was in our living area when the Capt called for all the new people to fall into formation. He was giving them a talk on what to expect and what their lives were going to be like. Anyway I was over by one of the bunkers talking to some other Marines when the Capt spotted me and called my name saying since I was a new guy I was supposed to be in the formation.

I walked over and told the Capt that I really wasn't a new guy. He asked where I had come from so I told him the 1/5, so he asked how long I had been in country, so I told him. He asked if I had been at Hue City and I said Yes Sir. He then told me As you were and he then told all the new people that I was the kind of Marine that they were to learn from on how to survive.

That Capt gave me a lot of recognition and I FELT LIKE ONE HELL OF AN OLD SALT!

Phantom Blooper
11-14-11, 07:58 AM
Did he ask for your autograph?:beer:

advanced
11-14-11, 08:25 AM
Did he ask for your autograph?:beer:

No, only the 8th Marines were asked for their autographs.

I know it was before your time but the 5th Marines received a lot of respect back in the day. How soon they forget.

montana
11-14-11, 11:59 AM
I got in Country the summer of 68. The next day, was flown out to the bush to join the 3/26. I don't remember what I was expecting, but I do know it was a jolt to reality. I stuck out like a bright light in a dark sky. The plt. Sgt. told me, don't get to comfortable, we won't be here very long. No one talked to me very much, I sort of kept to myself. That same night I got baptized. Went on my first night ambush. About 3 hours into it, we made contact. What happened was an intense 30 min. fire fight. Although I was scared shetless before, after the rounds started flying, I forgot about it. Everything happened so fast, you didn't have time to be scared. We had 2 wounded, but came out alright. When we got back that morning, I couldn't count the number of Marines that came up and started talking to me. All had one thing to convey, welcome to the Nam, Marine. That's the one day I felt like a salty Marine. Never experienced that feeling again.

talkin about stand out like a sore thumb....was sent out in the bush with this red headed kid...plt sgt said...ya may as well take your shirts off andget your tan started......a little bit later he walks up to the red head and said...you mite want to put your shirt back on ...your dam sure gonna draw fire...man he was white
no one said much to me eather...sept the squad leader ...he was cool and gave me good advise.....4 nights later i shot it out with a gook machinegun and won...he didnt have trasers or i moste likely wouldnt be here...anyway then i seemed to be accepted