PDA

View Full Version : Help with MECEP school choice...

USMCFLBOY
11-07-11, 02:31 PM
Marines,
I have a decision to make that I would like to get other Marnie's opinions on.

Let me begin by saying that as I write this, I am waiting on the results of this years MECEP board. I am 26 years old and ever since I can remember I have wanted to attend a military college. If all goes as planned I will be accepted into the MECEP program and the Citadel in Charleston, SC would not be out of reach. However, my wife and I are both from Florida and our families have been having their fair share of health problems lately (death, cancer, old age, etc). We also have two kids (1 and 3) that the grandparents wouldn't mind spending some time with.

Now that the plot is set, my question is this...

Do I attend the Citadel and regret that I had the chance to spend the next couple of years at home with family before I travel the world some more? I feel that this option would be most beneficial for my carreer as a Marine Officer.

or

Do I attend college in Florida near my family and regret that I had my chance to attend a military academy and didn't? Obviously, this option would be most beneficial for my family.

One thing that sticks in my mind is some advice that I have had from senior Marines regarding taking care of your family. Basically, they said that one day you will reach your service limit and the Marine Corps will give you the boot, so don't neglect your family in the mean time.

I am open to all CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Thanks in advance
Semper Fi
:flag:

Zulu 36
11-07-11, 03:59 PM
You have to think that The Citadel and VMI are not "military academies" in the sense that West Point, Annapolis, and the AF Academy are. They are essentially colleges with ROTC programs that are also very strict with discipline and dress code. Does The Citadel allow married cadets?

Personally, I would attend a regular university and spend more time with your family. Where would you go? Someplace around Tampa/St Pete?

USMCFLBOY
11-07-11, 04:07 PM
You have to think that The Citadel and VMI are not "military academies" in the sense that West Point, Annapolis, and the AF Academy are. They are essentially colleges with ROTC programs that are also very strict with discipline and dress code. Does The Citadel allow married cadets?

Personally, I would attend a regular university and spend more time with your family. Where would you go? Someplace around Tampa/St Pete?
Zulu,
I know exactly what you mean about the "academy" aspect. However, the Citadel does accept married people as long as they are avtive duty, MECEP (Marines) STA-21 (Navy), etc. whereas the "academies" do not. So at this point Citdadel and VMI are my closest options. Thanks for the advice.

Hunt1284
11-07-11, 05:27 PM
IMHO, I think that you should attend a college near your hometown. A fellow Marine that I went to bootcamp with spent 3 years at the Citadel and he hated it so much that he dropped out and joined the Corps. Of course everyones experience in college is going to be different, but the college that you attend for the MECEP isn't hugely important. In the end all they want is for you to have a bachelor's degree in something. On the other hand, Charleston is an AMAZING city! One of the most beautiful on the east coast. But your senior Marines are correct, family is vitally important, especially if they are ill.
Good luck with getting selcted for the MECEP, and your college choice!

Tennessee Top
11-07-11, 05:43 PM
Err on the side of family. Besides regret in the future, you may have to fight a feeling of guilt as well as hard feelings from siblings/family members that could last your lifetime.

USMCFLBOY
11-07-11, 07:13 PM
So far it looks like family is up 3-0. Thanks for the advice gentleman.

RNC
11-07-11, 09:49 PM
I can certainly understand the appeal of The Citadel and VMI. Tradition, esprit de corps, the bortherhood, the prestige. There is a network of alumnus looking out for one another.
You will have all of those things with a career as a Marine Corps officer. I would choose a school near home and enjoy family and civlian life while you can.
Officers who attended a service academy will never look upon a graduate of VMI or The Citadel as an equal. If that's your aim, forget it. You either have the ring, or you don't.