PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for poolie

Peterpasta
11-05-11, 05:56 PM
Hi, maybe someone can help with advice for a poolie dad. My son has entered the dep program and has been going to PT for the last couple of months at the recruiter. He has scored in the 90's on the ASVAB and is currently waiting for a flight engineer MOS. He has no problems completing the PT requirements, in fact he completes the run in under 10 mins, and easily completes 15 pull ups.
Here's my question - there is another poolie that is also waiting for the same MOS and there is a slot available in DEC, problem is that this poolie can just barely pass the PT requirements, he passed it today for the first time. Is there anyone that my son can talk to to plead his case that is higher than the recruiter, it seems like a waste of time to send someone to boot camp that can just make the requirements when there is someone else that is more qualified.

Thanks
Matt - retired Coast Guard

kpouncey
11-05-11, 06:37 PM
Well, idk how much it'll help because I'm only a poolee myself. But lately in my RS they haven't been allowing poolees to ship to boot without being prepared first. They don't set you up to fail. With that being said, if one poolee isn't exceeding or meeting requirements, then he/she does not ship, and another poolee takes his/her place that is exceeding/meeting requirements. But it also depends on how long this person has been in the DEP and all that. I think if you pass the IST right before you go, they let you ship anyway. Even if it is the bare minimum.

Zulu 36
11-05-11, 06:57 PM
Hi, maybe someone can help with advice for a poolie dad. My son has entered the dep program and has been going to PT for the last couple of months at the recruiter. He has scored in the 90's on the ASVAB and is currently waiting for a flight engineer MOS. He has no problems completing the PT requirements, in fact he completes the run in under 10 mins, and easily completes 15 pull ups.
Here's my question - there is another poolie that is also waiting for the same MOS and there is a slot available in DEC, problem is that this poolie can just barely pass the PT requirements, he passed it today for the first time. Is there anyone that my son can talk to to plead his case that is higher than the recruiter, it seems like a waste of time to send someone to boot camp that can just make the requirements when there is someone else that is more qualified.

Thanks
Matt - retired Coast Guard

Your profile is a little light, but I'll answer your question.

#1 - The recruiter will not ship someone who can't pass the IST (he gets in trouble if he does). The IST is the minimum required, and anyone who passes the IST, even just barely, has met minimum shipping requirements.

#2 - Your son needs to stick to his own preparations. He doesn't need to start upsetting people in the chain of command before he even goes to boot camp.