PDA

View Full Version : "Peace Time"

SC13
11-04-11, 11:15 AM
Good afternoon,

I have searched this site and the internet and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I was wondering what do Marines do during "peace time?" The reason I ask is I have heard the estimated deadline for the US to leave Afghanistan is 2014. I will graduate college in the summer of 2013 and by the time I am finshed with training (enlisted or officer) and am ready for a deployment we should be exiting Afghanistan. I was just wondering what can I expect and what would a deployment be like? I know to take one step at a time but this is just out of pure curiosity of what Marine life and deployments are like during "peace time"

Any former Marines who have served during this type of time and anyone else who can help answer these questions please feel free to chime in

Thanks in advance.

awbrown1462
11-04-11, 11:36 AM
you do you job just like war time but no one is shooting at you or you at them, If you are a combat Mos you train for war if not a combat mos you do your job just like any other time

03Mike
11-04-11, 12:40 PM
Easy / Simple Answer -- In peace time, Marines train for war.

More realistic answer --

1. You train, train, train -- one lessons that Marines learn in time of conflict is that you are never prepared enough to go to war. This involves training in the US, training with allies, and training overseas.

2. You deploy -- whether to Okinawa or part of a Marine Expeditionary Unit, the Corps has deployment schedules to fulfill, as well as treaty obligations.

3. You get sent to MOOTW -- Military Operations Other Than War -- there is a whole bunch of stuff that Marines do that rarely makes the headlines or keeps Americans from watching their favorite reality TV show. From NEO (Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations) to show of force and presence operations, Marines will still be called on to those "shiney-pointy things" in their rifles and go into harms way.

4. You go where you are sent when you are called to go. You say that the deadline to leave Afghanistan is 2014. Do you think that those Marines who finished their training in the summer of 2001 had even the remotest idea that they'd be going to Afghanistan in the next year or so? Shoot, I'd bet that over half of them couldn't have found Afghanistan on the map. So, where is the next "poop-hole" that the Marines will be sent? Watch the news and take a stab at somewhere else in SW Asia, SE Asia, East Africa, West Africa, North Africa, Middle East, Balkans, Indonesia, Central America, South America.... Chances are, we'll send troops to one of these areas in the next 5 to 10 years.

eric huitrado
11-04-11, 12:51 PM
Hurry up, and Wait.

MOS4429
11-04-11, 01:10 PM
Marine Corps is a force is readiness.

You make sure you are ready.

SC13
11-04-11, 01:20 PM
Thank you Marines this is the answers I was looking for. I had a general idea of what was done but thanks for all the details and 03Mike you make a good point about the Marines in 2001. Just like in One Bullet Away, Fick says that everybody was saying he would serve in a peace time Corps, and before he knew it he was in Afghanistan and within a year or two after that he was in Iraq. Good stuff Marines. And thanks again

Old Marine
11-04-11, 02:02 PM
Each and every day is a new experience and you never get bored.