PDA

View Full Version : College Football - Army Navy - Game of Honor

Popsicle
11-01-11, 02:13 PM
This years Army Navy game is coming up in about 6 weeks. It's an amazing game to attend live and showcases a lot of the good things about America. This year CBS Sports and Showtime are producing a 2 hour documentary, A Game of Honor, not just on the game itself but on West Point and the Naval Academy.

"A Game of Honor docu-drama and web series will capture the personal stories of this unique group of men who are rivals on the football field and brothers in arms on the battlefield.

As the young men at Army and Navy endure a much different athletic experience than other Division I football players, A Game of Honor will capture the dedication, discipline and determination demanded of the cadets and midshipmen who are members of these storied football programs. A Game of Honor reveals their unique journey from summer training to the demands of an elite classroom education to the weekly preparations for the football field, all while training to serve their country in a time of war.

This rigorous passage culminates with the playing of the annual Army-Navy game this year from the nation's capital in Washington, D.C. Then on Wednesday, December 21 SHOWTIME will premiere the two-hour exclusive docu-drama revealing an unprecedented look at America's two oldest military academies."

Showtime is releasing on-line snippets of the documentary each week for the next 6 weeks. The following URL will take you to the main site where you can watch the 3 videos and the game trailer that have been posted thus far.

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/game-of-honor/MvgvV2cf7ElIurIYuG16iMyHquCSIQGG

About 265 Naval Academy Graduates are allowed to service select the Marine Corps from each graduateing class. The main qualifier for the rising seniors or "Firsties" is a 4 week summer block called "Leatherneck" The 2 day test referred to in the video is actully part of a much larger and longer process.

Enjoy the video clips

awbrown1462
11-01-11, 02:33 PM
Army Navy Prisoner exchange from 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-6As6mNKcQ

About 25 minutes before the game, the commanders of each student body marched to midfield for the "prisoner exchange." Navy swapped 11 West Point cadets studying in Annapolis for 11 midshipmen studying at Army. When the Navy students lined up, letters applied to the backs of their dress blue overcoats spelled out "EIGHT YEARS."

jamielang1951
11-01-11, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mark, I enjoyed those. That's one game I never miss.:beer:

jrhd97
11-01-11, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting. I've enjoyed these clips. Now it makes me want to get Showtime so I can see the whole 2 hour show.

Zulu 36
11-01-11, 03:27 PM
Go Navy - Beat Army

Popsicle
11-01-11, 04:11 PM
Army Navy Prisoner exchange from 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-6As6mNKcQ

About 25 minutes before the game, the commanders of each student body marched to midfield for the "prisoner exchange." Navy swapped 11 West Point cadets studying in Annapolis for 11 midshipmen studying at Army. When the Navy students lined up, letters applied to the backs of their dress blue overcoats spelled out "EIGHT YEARS."

Agree with you very fun moment. How about when they introduced the medal of honor attendees and brought them on the field. You could hear a pin drop on the field with a crowd of over 70,000.

On a personal note - I remember watching my first Army Navy game when I was sick at home with the mumps when I was about 7 years old. Flash forward to 2001 and I'm watching the Army Navy game on TV with my then 12 year old daughter. She had recently told us that she had decided her future career goal to was to be a Marine Officer. I also remember her looking up at me and telling me that someday she was going to be sitting with the Midshipman at that game. At last years game, It was a WOW moment for this old dad to look over and see a young woman sitting with her fellow Midshipman and remember when this was just a little gilrs dream sitting on a couch.

The dream continues on as next month we head to Quantico for her TBS graduation and new MOS as a Logistics Officer.