PDA

View Full Version : Retirement System Changes

allenl0391
10-31-11, 12:59 AM
Good Morning Marines,
I have a question regarding the proposed change in the retirement system. My dream/plan is to do 20 years in the Corps and retire. It's part of the reason I decided to join the military. The reports say that men/women already in would be grandfathered in to the current system. I know that poolees are not Marines yet, but we have contracts that we are enlisted into the Inactive Ready Reserves wich counts toward our 8 years of enlistment. So if they change this before we ship to our respective Boot Camps, are we to be grandfathered in too? Or is it only Marines who have already shipped?

On a side note, I know that officials are just going over options at this time and have not set anything in stone. I personally will still join regardless because earning the title of Marine is more important than money or benefits. I hope that they do not switch this practice because I think anyone who risk their life for their country should have this retirement and not a civilian 401k.

Thanks for every Marines input and service. Have a good day.:flag:
-Poolee Lewis

SSgtRSD
10-31-11, 10:56 AM
I hearf first hand the Sgt Maj of the Marine Corps himself say that the proposed plan was no more than just that, proposed and nothing more happened with that. We have the Marine Corps times to thank for blowing that one out of proportion. So no, I wouldn't worry about it.

Apache
10-31-11, 02:45 PM
Not to concern
The way government works----your children may be affected but nothing sooner

Zulu 36
10-31-11, 06:30 PM
Military retirement changes have been bandied about a few times in the past. Most of the time, it was obvious someone was simply running a flag up and see who saluted - if anyone.

The last time it appeared someone seriously wanted to change the military retirement system, the hell that was raised scared the crap out of a lot of Congress-critters. The proposal died a rapid death.

I think this is one of those test balloons that is crashing.

allenl0391
10-31-11, 10:12 PM
Thanks SSgtRSD, Apache, and Zulu 36. That puts me at ease about my future career.