PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

tyro
11-02-03, 11:35 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all, I would very much like to complement the Leatherneck.com community for providing such a good resource for prospective Marines, such as myself.

Now then for needing the advice part, I am a graduating senior in college in process of enlisting into the Marine corps. I have had ... excessive amount of "life challenges" which has led to an inordinate amount of debt and bad credit . I have no legal or IRS issues just too much debt and bad credit. I have talked about this issue with my recruiter, and he insures me this does not disqualify my ability to enlist. My question to him was if it is better to resolve my debt problem now by declaring bankruptcy or if I can or should do this after I have enlisted. My recruiter told me not to worry about this issue and that I should resolve this after I enlist and talk to a financial legal officier.
Now my question, to everyone who is experienced or knowledgable in these kinds of matters, is: Can I trust my recruiters advise and easy declare bankruptcy after my enlistment or is it rather a difficult process that will hinder my military career, i.e. jeopardize my chance of getting secruity clearances in the future?

Anxiously waiting for your replies, thanx for you time.

firstsgtmike
11-03-03, 03:48 AM
tyro,

#1. I've got a problem with a graduating senior in college talking about "enlisting" as opposed to talking with an Officer Selection Team.

#2. As a former Recruiter, credit reports were NEVER part of the background checks for enlisting.

#3. If memory serves me, a question concerning bankruptcy DOES come up on the questionaire (DD398?) for background data. Which may, or may not affect security clearance or Officer qualification.

Sixguns is the most qualified to address THAT issue.

HOWEVER. I've got a personal thing about walking away from honestly incurred debts. To me, your integrity is on the line, and if I were in the driver's seat, I would judge you accordingly.

For tactical reasons, I filed for bankruptcy. I was legally absolved from all debts. It took me almost six years, but every bank, company, and individual was PAID IN FULL.

When I received phone calls from paid-up creditors expressing amazement and wonderment, I told them that running away was never an option. There was a temporary strategic withdrawal, but "I am and always will be a MARINE". (That was 11 years after retiring from active duty.)

You do what you have to do, and then you live with it.

privatebrady
11-03-03, 06:27 PM
i dont remember ever bein asked about any money problems or any thing I think you should put some trust in your recruiter.

Sparrowhawk
11-03-03, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by tyro

I have talked about this issue with my recruiter, and he insures me this does not disqualify my ability to enlist...

My recruiter told me not to worry about this issue and that I should resolve this after I enlist and talk to a financial legal officier.

So, what's the problem?

He's your recruiter, he's a Marine and he has advised you...

So, what's the problem?

Why the question?

Anyone that can't handle his own debts should never consider an officers position, where you maybe called to lead Marines.

<hr>

I tell you what, why don't you wait until you get to boot camp, then you can ask your D.I.

He is in the position of helping pay off your debt by assigning you extra duty assignments such as fire watch, and you can volunteer to be the house mouse that will help you pay off your debts.

He may even ask the platoon to contribute to your needs to help pay off your debts.

If you want our advice and wish to bypass the good advice your recruiter already gave you, and I tell you he's too kind.

I would have throw you out the door until you paid off your debts.

Les Elkins
11-03-03, 06:40 PM
Your credit standing does not ever come into question while you are trying to enlist.
You can contact your creditors and make arrangements to deferr payment until after training.
If you are fixing to graduate college with a 4 year degree you should be talking to the Officer Selection Officer, and not the recuriter.
Let your degree work for you and become an officer.
I would never (when I was a recruiter) talk to a college grad without first letting them talk to the OSO.
You just have to make sure that you honor your bills after your training because if you walk away you are walking away from your honor.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-04-03, 01:13 PM
I disagree with the idea that he should be looking at being an officer. This is the path for some, others need to enlist. I know that I would not be happy as an officer. Being an enlisted Marine is the greatest thing a person can do, in my opinion. Actually, being a Marine LCPL may be the best job on the planet.

Follow your desire. IF you want to be an officer, be an officer. If you want to enlist, do it.

jdfairman
11-05-03, 05:00 PM
I advise you to check out the "Marine Officer Programs" thread in the "Marine mentor" forum.

foxman
11-05-03, 05:23 PM
My only advice is to stop and take a real look at the situation. If you are planning on joining THE GREATEST FIGHTING FORCE in THE WORLD then you must think you are ready to become a man. A real Man does not run from that which he is faced with or in this case created himself. Make arrangements with your creditors to pay them off. No matter how long it takes. If you can't shoulder a little responsibility how can you Think you can shoulder the weight of the Most Profound Title there is to hold. My Advice is : Be a Man,Pay Your Debts and hold your Head up Proud. There ain't no Free Lunches.

Sixguns
11-05-03, 06:14 PM
I will dispute some of the information here. A credit check is done on every enlisted or officer commissioning candidate. This is part of the NACLC (National Agency Checks with Law and Credit checks). The information obtained from your SF86 or your EPSQ (security questionaires) is the source document for initiating these records checks. Sometimes an investigator is tasked with personally collecting local records and may even be required to sit down and interview the subject concerning information revealed in this process. (I know this process intimately).

Do not file for bankruptcy. It is better to arrange a payment schedule with your creditors than file for bankruptcy. Oh, by the way, bankruptcy is a legal proceeding and you will not be allowed to enlist while proceedings are ongoing. This also applies to divorce and many other legal issues. See if your creditors will work with you and give you some type of relief or deferment until you are through recruit training and collecting a regular active duty paycheck. Your recruiter may even want to talk to you about the Soldiers and Sailors Act and its provisions concerning financial payments etc.

Best wishes.

Sixguns
11-05-03, 06:21 PM
And for the comment about becoming an officer just because you have a college degree...

I find that to be a slap in the face. I have an undergrad and grad degree and served as an enlisted Marine. NCOs and SNCOs are the real leaders in the Corps. It was even bothersome to me that a SNCO made that comment. I agree that a prospect should know all his/her options, but choosing the enlisted route with a degree does not mean you screwed up. Men and women should be respected for choosing to don stripes versus bars. And I know at least a few folks around here who would agree that being a good enlisted Marine will make you a better officer!

jdfairman
11-05-03, 06:55 PM
I apologize. I stand corrected about the NAC. While I do remember my record being checked for any criminal activity when I enlisted, I do not remember being credit checked until I filled out the EPSQ when I was about to be commissioned. Sorry for the mistake. Will try to edit out above post.

firstsgtmike
11-06-03, 04:57 AM
"And for the comment about becoming an officer just because you have a college degree..."

As a high school dropout, I never had that option when I enlisted. Later, during my career, several times I rejected suggestions to apply for Officer programs.

Why? Because I discovered that " NCOs and SNCOs are the real leaders in the Corps."

I have NEVER regretted my decision. I feel I contributed more as a SNCO, and accomplished more, than I could have as an Officer.

That is the voice of experience.

My comment was directed to the inexperienced.

I visualized the difficulty faced by a graduating college senior, when his contemporaries are considering Officer options, and he attempts to justify his decision to join the enlisted ranks.

As a SNCO (by choice) I can understand, appreciate, and approve of his motives. However ...........

"#1. I've got a problem with a graduating senior in college talking about "enlisting" as opposed to talking with an Officer Selection Team."

I consider that to be a valid concern, until I received a satisfactory answer.

"satisfactory" means that it must make sense, whether I agree with it or not.

firstsgtmike
11-06-03, 05:05 AM
Echo_Four_Bravo;

It seems like you screwed up, and got promoted (CPL) out of the best job on the planet (LCPL).

I guess that's something you will have to learn to live with.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-06-03, 12:38 PM
First Sgt, didn't "screw up" just had to make the change. Being an NCO brings a great deal of pride to any person. Being a Cpl of Marines is the accomplishment I am proudest of in life. However, the job wasn't the same as being a LCPL. There were many times that being a leader came before doing the "Marine thing" that I had enlisted to do. I guess I mispoke about it being the "best job." Maybe saying the "funnest job" would have been better.

gemntx
11-06-03, 03:21 PM
Sixguns I have to agree with you on the issue of Officer vs Enlisted. Tyro follow your heart. I know a lot of officers that are dumb as a box of rocks that have a piece of paper hanging on the wall that says they should be educated. I have also led and have been led by some exceptionally educated NCO's and SNCO's. Whether someone enlists or recieves a commission should rely on their desires. Either way they become a Marine. As far as his "life challenges", ask the intimate questions, gather the data and make your decision.

tyro
11-09-03, 06:39 PM
I would like to thank everyone of you for giving me such good and thoughtful advice. I'm sorry I have not replied earlier, and yes I have listened to your advices and after much thinking, as of last Thursday, I am in the DEP to ship for MCRD San Diego in March as an active 03. And all of you are right I'll not declare bankruptcy, even though the debt was caused by a family illness it IS still legally MY debt, so I will take responsibility, after all I should act like a honorable Marine if I am to become one.
Again I appreciate all of you for your time and advice and I hope to join your brotherhood as a career Marine and maybe even a mustang officer someday but first and foremost, a Marine.

PS. Thank you 1st sgtmike for your prompt PM, appreciate it.