PDA

View Full Version : Other MOS than 0311

SovHerb
10-26-11, 04:27 PM
So I have recently joined the DEP program for the USMC and on my contract I have had 0300 put on it. I am very excited and enthused to be a grunt for the Marines, and I think it is a very respectable MOS to have. I am just curious on what other intersting MOS's there are to have, and if any one has a strong opinion on what a very challanging, rewarding MOS is. I scored high enough on my Composite and Line scores on the ASVAB to where my recriuter said I qualified for any MOS the marines have to offer. Just looking for ideas and things i havent considered yet. Thanks all, look forward to joining you all in calling my self a marine soon.

MrSnips
10-31-11, 11:54 PM
If your gonna be a Marine you might as well be a Grunt. POG's have their uses but ultimately we are a fighting force. If you are good with math being a mortarman might be a good choice for you. If you are good with technical skills and have good memory tow gunners use that stuff. If your big and strong and can hump anything anywhere go with the machine guns. If you want to blow **** up on a regular basis (included ear drums) assualtmen are where it's at. If you want to do all of the above with less training just become a rifleman.

I have carried and dropped mortars, i've fired machine guns, and been way closer than my liking to the back of a SMAW. I've called for mortars and air. Infantry is where its at. They dont make commercials about IPAC.

SSgtRSD
11-01-11, 08:03 AM
He writes a very convincing thread, and what he writes is true to a degree. Every MOS has its use, pros, and cons. If you want to learn about other MOS's google USMC MOS and click on the Usmilitary.about.com link. It will briefly describe every MOS. you have a good program though, so I would probably not change it if I were you. It is there you will get a more pure view of the Corps.

nditech8838
11-01-11, 09:49 AM
Although the the Marine is best known as being the hard charging grunt. I was an aviation Marine. I loved all 8yrs of it. I learned a lot about the aircraft that make up the support for the men and women on the ground. If you dont mind more school after boot camp and infantry and possibly looking at a 5 or 6 yr enlistment out of the gate due to the extra time in school. Also talk to your recruiter as he should give you all your options and not just the option he wants for you. Good luck in which every you choose just keep one thing in mind if you get out before 20 its easier to get a job if you already have a back ground in a real world job.

advanced
11-01-11, 12:18 PM
If you want an MOS that will reward you throughout your entire life go 0311. Marines stand out in a crowd, 03's stand out in a crowd of Marines. You will gain a confidence and a bearing and learn to know yourself deep within your own core. The weak will hate you, the strong will want to be you, nobody will go uh.

Ray Harvey
11-08-11, 06:45 PM
It has been my understanding that all Marine's are 0300 no matter what.

MrSnips
11-08-11, 07:06 PM

I'm sorry gunny...if you truly believe that some ipac Marine could do my job i think your crazy. Thats just an example but the old adage that "every Marine is a rifleman" is sort of a joke. We all shoot rifles but thats where the similarities end. I have to do a hike as a combat replacement with our regiment that we arent wearing sapi plates and only bringing a day pack. Normally in our unit we would wear all sapi's as well as main packs with basically our entire CIF issue.

I have seen some POG's run ranges with us but normally its forward observers and engineers. Occasionally a HET guy or something like that. But i definatley dont see the WM's and IPAC Marines out there in the desert when its raining.

advanced
11-08-11, 07:30 PM

Gunny, not hardly. You know better than that.

wilsontc11
11-10-11, 08:10 PM
Honestly, if you want a good idea on grunt life: www.******************

As a grunt, prepare to deal with bull****, get treated like **** if you're a boot, get rained on every field op (in which you do land nav or some bs that you've already done like 10 times).

However, you do feel a sense of pride when you're standing next to the IPAC Marines in the chow line, because you're the image that the civilian thinks about when they think Marines. Most everyone else has to silently live with the fact that they aren't grunts, they aren't that image. They can still be proud of what they do, but they don't do what grunts do.

+ Being a grunt can be skate (easy) at times, like getting off at 10 am, or a work day consisting of you playing xbox (Dont expect that often, if you have a motivated squad leader or plt commander, you wont be doing this) all day.

all in all, its fun. and dont expect to blow **** up as an assaultmen, they're just riflemen except they have to shoot a notional smaw rocket at a bunker on every range. with the war we're fighting in today, you probably wont fire a smaw shot in country because of collateral damage.

FistFu68
11-11-11, 04:27 AM
:evilgrin: 0311 Lifetakers and Heartbreakers...Don't join tha USMC Too 1/2 Step,You can alway's add additional Secondary MOS's but if You aren't an 0311 From tha Git Go...You can B-A pretend One On Qual.Day!!! Grunts are The BackBone of The USMC...Don't let nobody Try and Bullchit You...Deep Down inside All Marines want B-One but did not have what it Took 2-B-A-RIFLEMAN!!!Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Merc6432
11-11-11, 08:36 PM
I made the mistake and listened to my parents and went to Avionics 6300. If you are a techy and like working with aircraft that is great but it does not pay if you don't finish your tour. I was...

andrew5760
11-13-11, 01:10 PM
Infantry. Yes it sucks, sometimes. But trust me, the reward is worth every moment of it.

Dutch 44
12-22-11, 06:48 PM

Every Marine is "rifleman" but not every rifleman is an infantryman

DrZ
12-30-11, 08:06 AM
Every Marine carries an important job. I don't give a damn if you are cook, supply, Wing, or a Grunt. Every Marine has the additional task of supporting the Grunts. If you do your job honorably....if you take pride in your Country and Corps.... you cannot go wrong.

I have known people in all of the various MOSs and have found both sh!tbirds and honorable Marines. Just be the best at whatever you do.

Just for general information.... keep in mind that some POGs do go outside of the wire. It happens.

gonzo4
01-01-12, 08:02 AM
I give a lot of credit to all the grunts. I sure as hell I know I couldn't do what they do for a living. However, if you do find something that interests you don't let the fact you aren't a grunt take away from anything you do. I'm a female and I'm combat camera. I have my Combat Action Ribbon, I've been blown up, I've had to hump my **** from one PB to another. I know 100% I'm no where close to being a grunt, they have an extremely hard job, but I've worked with a lot and regardless of your MOS if you know your **** and aren't a dumbass, you can earn [I]some[i/] respect from them. I have a good buddy here with 2/4 and he is getting a NAM with a "V" for saving the lives of some of the guys he was out with. O, by the way, he's a ComCam guy. But the grunts are the Tip of the spear and everyone else is the shaft. So do what ultimately is going to make you happy, not what you think is going to get you the most props.

advanced
01-01-12, 10:43 AM
But the grunts are the Tip of the spear and everyone else is the shaft.

It has been said by many that Grunts are the tip of the spear, but from my experience we certainly did seem to get the shaft more than other mos's most of the time.

On the positive side, once you are a grunt it will stay with you your entire life. Many men and women will admire you (I've actually been told that many times), and some (those that doubt themselves) may actually say you were just trying to be macho. But, during my time grunts were kind of segregated from everyone else. In the Nam for instance there certainly weren't any pretty ladies around for us to impress. And when I was a cop I spent most of my time in the projects. Who were we trying to be macho to, each other? BS.

Simply put, grunts are a different kind of Marine. They think different, act different, talk different (for instance there are at least 50+ different meanings for the F word). And let's not forget at times we certainly smell different. Grunts just see the world differently. And let's not forget that sometimes we are considered to be a little outspoken.

Some perceive grunts as reckless, but when you have a committed plan and the confidence to take action there is definitely method to our actions. To a grunt living a long life and dying of old age is for wusses. And yet, as time has gone by, some of us actually accomplish that - and it doesn't look so bad now.

ChrrySkoal
01-01-12, 01:12 PM
High respects to the grunts out there lost my 03 contract...shipped out early boot camp, was alot better then being homeless. If I ever get to chance Ill raise my hand and unlike some POGs I know and go outside the wire. I didn't earn the title to work on to fix lights. Trackin'??

Silverain
01-08-12, 08:31 PM
My apologies if this is random but I am new to this site. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything more specific about being a counter terrorist trainer, because this sounds appealling to me. I...