PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Ghost Story

kbay0351
10-25-11, 02:44 PM
The story below I told during a live interview on Art Bell's "Ghost-to-Ghost AM" evening radio talk show on Halloween of '04. It takes place on Kaneohe MCAS in '95 hwile I was in the MPs...enjoy.

---------------------------------

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> In 1995, I was stationed on Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station (now called Marine Corps Base Hawaii) on the island of Oahu. I was temporarily assigned to the Military Police following my second tour of Okinawa. This story takes place at the rear entrance to the base (which was called Bravo gate), which I stood guard duty at several times. I would get dropped off by one of my fellow MPs at the gate at 1800 and stay until I secured it and got picked up at 2200. The gate was open to both incoming and outgoing traffic, but not a lot of cars passed through after about 2000. The spot was fairly isolated, and after the sun went down the area got very dark and quiet. Often, the only sounds came from my two-way radio. Well, every once in a while I would hear someone’s voice. Not very loudly, kind of like the wind was carrying their voice from a distance. It was so faint that sometimes I wondered if the voice was in my head. I couldn’t make out any of the words, either, although sometimes I thought I heard my name, but that was probably just my imagination. The weird thing is, there was no one else around but me. The closest house was too far away outside the gate, and inside the gate its just sand dunes down to the beach and on both sides. One night I swore I heard a man’s voice say “hey!” like three times. Not in a row, maybe about every five minutes or so. It was like someone was hiding in the brush nearby messing with me, or something. But I grabbed my flashlight and checked out the area I thought the voice came from and didn’t find anything.

Well, later that night one of the other MPs (I’ll call him Chris) brought me out some dinner and we got to talking. So I mentioned how the area was kind of creepy at night and told him about the things I’d been hearing. The funny thing was he didn’t seem too surprised. He said when he used to stand guard at the gate he would get spooked, too. He said on one occasion, he thought he heard someone call his name several times very clearly. He said it really freaked him out, and he explained to my why.

He said a couple of years prior an MP standing guard at the gate had committed suicide. I guess what happened was the MP (I’ll call him Bob) and his friend (I’ll call him Tom), for whatever reason, decided they wanted to kill their watch commander and then themselves. They were on day shift at the time. Tom was on duty at the front gate (Alpha gate) and Bob was at Bravo gate. The plan was Tom would radio the watch commander and request his assistance. When the watch commander showed up, Tom would shoot him with his service pistol. He would then radio the desk sergeant and tell him “ everything is code 4”. That was to be the signal to let Bob know that the watch commander was dead. Code 4 meant everything was good to go, situation under control, etc. Both MPs would then shoot themselves. The problem was when the watch commander came out to the gate Tom chickened out and didn’t even draw his pistol. I guess the watch commander had been having a bad day and started yelling at him for calling him out for no reason and wasting his time. The watch commander then said “well, are you going to call control (desk sergeant) and let him know you’re good to go or do I have to do it for you?” So Tom radioed control and let him know everything was code 4. Of course, Bob had no way of knowing that Tom hadn’t killed the watch commander. There was another MP on duty with Bob at the time and he later told Chris that as soon as they heard “Alpha gate is code 4” on the radio, Bob turned and walked quickly across the one lane of traffic (nearly missing an incoming car) and into the restroom. The other guard then heard a gunshot come from inside. He stopped traffic, and by the time he opened the door to the bathroom, there was already blood running out of it. Well, I guess Chris was part of the working party that was assigned to cleaning the restroom after the investigation. He said it was amazed by how much blood there was. He brought me into the restroom and pointed out some black spots up in the corner that they hadn’t been able to reach. Man, you talk about creepy. Actually seeing that dried blood that was still there really affected me. And as you can imagine, that story didn’t make my nights out at Brave gate any easier.

Coincidentally, the peninsula that the base was built on used to be a sacred meeting place for Hawaii’s chiefs. There are actually ancient burial mounds located in the dunes just a couple hundred yards from Bravo gate. Maybe they had something to do with the voices.

Anyway, that’s my ghost story. I hope it scares you and the listening audience as much as it still scares me. Happy Halloween and take care.