PDA

View Full Version : Still can't get bent in the fleet?

kbay0351
10-25-11, 12:13 PM
When I had about 6 months left in the corps in late '95, I was in Weapons Co 3/3 in Hawaii and word came down from the Commandant that we couldn't thrash/bend anyone in the fleet anymore. It didn't apply to boot camp and OCS. All we could do is make someone stand firewatch or write an essay!

We had just gotten a load of boots, and needless to say we were shocked. Since then I've often wondered how that worked out long term as far as discipline in the fleet. Can't imagine not making a guy dig a fighting hole for dropping his rifle in the field.

Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

jp2usmc
10-25-11, 12:50 PM
You had to write an essay?

Which essay did you write?

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_11/sp_1106_02_m4.jpg?width=200

kbay0351
10-25-11, 02:50 PM
I didn't have to write anything, the new guys did... it was usually something to do with what they did wrong in the first place.

jp2usmc
10-25-11, 04:15 PM
Oh. So I had the wrong pic.

How about this?

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/lists/blackboard/cutcorners.jpg

RNC
10-25-11, 05:26 PM
I was in from 82 to 86. An Airwinger. Until a few years ago, I had never heard of the practice of such bootcamp B.S. going on in the fleet. A younger, late 90's era Marine that I work with told me it was not uncommon in his unit.
All I can say is that when I was in, if you had told a Marine to do bends and thrusts, push ups, or whatever brainless bootcamp game, he would have at best laughed in your face or at worst, physically assaulted you. This is the Wing I'm talking about. We had real jobs and little time for ego based games by uncreative NCO's.

Edit;

FWIW, I worked in a technical MOS. Counting bootcamp, I was in the Corps for over a year, a senior L/Cpl before I left a training environment for the fleet. Even in training, other than bootcamp, no such games were played. In spite of that, we manged to perform our duties with reasonable efficiency and esprit de corps.

joseywales
10-25-11, 05:32 PM
Right on target. Great post.

Zulu 36
10-25-11, 06:30 PM
I don't remember doing any such silly boot camp stuff after ITR. Even ITR didn't have much of it.

I was in units where bulkhead discipline was permitted, but if you were the NCO, you'd better be tougher than the Marine you were thumping. It was not commonly done, but mainly because it just wasn't needed that often.

People that needed a little reminder of who was boss just got the **** details for awhile. If he didn't like that, there was always Office Hours.

EGTSpec
10-25-11, 10:00 PM
I had a SSgt give me remedial PT for refusing to double time to the chow hall in 90 degree + heat in utilities. After I ran the first days run I requested Mast. According to the UCMJ back then (1975), if it is not an organized PT formation you can not be ordered to do, or punished for not doing PT. The SSgt lost his promo to Gunny for what he did to me and another L/Cpl who was with me. It was part of the UCMJ back then. Maybe it isn't now, I don't know, but if it still is, request Mast to your CO.

Tennessee Top
10-25-11, 11:02 PM
Liberty is always important to Marines of any era. When I was leading troops and needed to get someone's attention, I would just simply secure their liberty for the amount of time I figured fit the crime...that usually worked and was something that could be done without going to the old man first. Never had to resort to extra PT or training. Did use the "musical uniforms" a couple of times (they had to report to me in a different uniform for personnel inspection until every uniform in their wall locker had been inspected; any failed inspection had to be repeated).

Sgt Leprechaun
10-25-11, 11:46 PM
Buddy of mine from 2/3 (K-Bay) 2005-2008 told me in his Infantry Bn PT was the norm, as was standing at parade rest in the present of a combat vet, if you had not yet 'seen the elephant'.

So there seem to be a disparity of experiences, dependin on one's unit, and time frame, I would think.

I PT'd the dogcrap out of my Comm platoon in 99, but also did, in fact, assign 500-1000 word essays, due the next day, on such topics as Disclipine and it's importance in a combat unit, Marine Corps history, and the rank structure. Hand written, not typed, and sourced as well if required. Points deducted for misspelled words, improper grammar, and poor penmanship. My Marines always told me they'd rather me take them out and thrash them instead of doing those....so as time went on, the essays grew as the thrashing ceased. (Essay's were carefully graded, copy returned to the Marine, and then placed into the Marine's Platoon Training jacket).

Essays were assigned for such things as failing room inspection, being an hour late coming back from chow, general jackazzery, etc.

They worked for me, actually better than any thrashing I could have dreamed up. But then again, I also followed through with them, and tried to make them into 'good' (or at least, learning) things that they could get credit for come promotion time, by putting them into the training folder and counting them for PME when it came Pro/Con time...

Zulu 36
10-26-11, 10:28 AM
I had a SSgt give me remedial PT for refusing to double time to the chow hall in 90 degree + heat in utilities. After I ran the first days run I requested Mast. According to the UCMJ back then (1975), if it is not an organized PT formation you can not be ordered to do, or punished for not doing PT. The SSgt lost his promo to Gunny for what he did to me and another L/Cpl who was with me. It was part of the UCMJ back then. Maybe it isn't now, I don't know, but if it still is, request Mast to your CO.

The UCMJ was silent on this exact issue in 1975, as well as now. However, there was/is probably something in Marine Corps Orders. So, failing to obey an MCO (or similar unit order) is a UCMJ Article 92 violation (Failure to Obey a Lawful Order or Regulation).

GT6238
10-26-11, 02:19 PM
Was also in the Wing...RNC is right. Good was to get laughed at. The only time I got harsh was when I was SOG...what a bunch!!...Some S/Sgt thought i was a bird too but he never said it to my face...Meanwhile I pulled some jerk's azz off the top bunk one day...