PDA

View Full Version : Thousands in Oceanside line street, cheer on OIF fighters

thedrifter
11-02-03, 06:10 AM
Thousands in Oceanside line street, cheer on OIF fighters
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 20031031175220
Story by Cpl. Matthew S. Richards

OCEANSIDE, Calif.(Oct. 25, 2003) -- Thundering cannons blasted confetti into the air as thousands cheered I Marine Expeditionary Force Marines marching through Oceanside Saturday in the Defenders of Freedom Parade.

The parade featured 10,000 Marines, sailors, veterans and two high-school bands.

In an outpouring of support, onlookers held "welcome home" and "thank you" signs.

"I think it's really cool to have Marines out here in their uniforms strutting their stuff," said Stacey MacBeth, of Oceanside, a Vista High School student .

Veterans from past wars stood along the route. For some vets, the parade contrasted starkly with receptions they received returning from war.

"We were more or less snuck back in," Ray Flores said of his 1967 Vietnam return. "There were some people at the airport but they were mostly demonstrators. I think the support is well overdue, that's why I'm here."

Other veterans agreed.

"In World War II you went there and just came back," said Walter Moore, a retired Marine. Locals had a love-hate relationship with the Corps.

"I would have been here on my hands and knees," Moore said as he sat in his wheelchair on the parade route.

Business owners also were happy to have the Marines home.

Bikers and Marines in cammies crowded the Motorcycle Cafe to watch the procession.

"This is the best day ever," said Mike Fiscetti, the cafe's owner. "We've been busy since we opened.

"Since they've been coming back (from deployment), business has picked up," Fiscetti said. He said they opened in May and didn't suffer as badly as other businesses during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The 101 Cafe also showed support for the troops, handing out free coffee to them. By the start of the parade, John Daley, one of the cafe's owners, estimated they served up 1,000 cups of free coffee.

"We've been watching the Marines come back since World War II," Daley said. "I think it's always important to support the troops. We need to welcome them and tell them they're appreciated."

Support even came from people who didn't support the war, including retired Marine Tom McDermott of Murietta.

"I was against it for my own personal reasons, but as soon as they sent (Marines), I was one of the first people waving the flag," he said, adding that his 16-year-old son plans to become a Marine pilot.

Paraders marched through town from 10 a.m. until noon, covering nearly a mile along Coast Highway. They were treated free lunch and a show featuring R. Lee Ermey of "Full Metal Jacket," "The Boys of Company C" and the History Channel's "Mail Call."

The flood of gratitude from celebrities and citizens alike overwhelmed some Marines.

"I didn't expect (this), it's just a shock," said Lance Cpl. Mario Jones, of 1st Force Service Support Group who returned from Iraq Oct. 13. "I didn't think the community would go to this length."

"Personally, I didn't think there (would be) that many people to support us," said Sgt. Dennis J. Winiger, of 1st Intelligence Battalion.

He was especially impressed with the patriotism of children.

"A little girl about 4 or 5 years old screamed out, 'Marines are the best,'" he said. "Hopefully, she's a future Marine."

The parade consisted largely of Marines marching and riding in military vehicles. They waved and smiled as they ambled in formation past cheering, flag-waving admirers. Marine helicopters periodically buzzed overhead along the parade route.

Longtime residents, city records and military archives cited only one other parade in history dedicated to the military ? following Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

Gunnery Sgt. Matt Hevezi, Sgt. Jim Heuston, Sgt. Leo A. Salinas, Lance Cpl. Macario P. Mora Jr. and Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere contributed to this story.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031031175543/$file/grand04lr.jpg

Confetti rains down on Marines participating in the Defenders of Freedom Parade Oct. 25, 2003 in Oceanside, Calif. Photo by: Sgt. Jim Heuston

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/FCCE7820E672D63185256DD0007DA459?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: