PDA

View Full Version : sleeves down all year???

1994formulalt1
10-18-11, 12:10 PM
:banana:so I heard through the LCpl underground that we will be going to sleeves down all year around, anyone else hear about this?

LoveOfCountry
10-18-11, 12:49 PM
Yes. It is effective 24 Oct per MARADMIN.

LoveOfCountry
10-18-11, 12:50 PM
I am still looking for some official announcement, but I was just informed by my Company's INI Training NCO.

1994formulalt1
10-18-11, 12:50 PM
it's going to get hot! luckily i'm super pog so i'll just go boots and utes in my office

Quinbo
10-18-11, 12:56 PM
I heard you all were gonna go to the Army NBC counter measure sleeve roll?

Apache
10-18-11, 01:38 PM
What about the MARPAT shorts For POGs ?

FaDeD
10-18-11, 02:18 PM
Its true, My Gunny called me and told me to tell my plt that starting Monday no more sleevs rolling,

now if we can change this tattoo policy

LoveOfCountry
10-18-11, 02:31 PM
http://www.kevinwebb22.com/marine-corps-news/marine-corps-sleeves-down-all-year

LoveOfCountry
10-18-11, 02:32 PM
How come my signature is disabled?

LoveOfCountry
10-18-11, 02:34 PM
Next month we get to wear go-fasters with our cammies.

Phantom Blooper
10-18-11, 05:04 PM
How come my signature is disabled?

There is a thread on this in Open Forum from about a month ago.

Shaffer's team disabled signatures unless you are a paid member.

Reasoning....to try to keep Spam off the site.

If you go as a paid member you can get your signature back.

thezero
10-18-11, 06:15 PM
MARADMIN 621/11 what you are thinking of, I was reading it earlier. I would pull up the link from marines.mil but my internet doesn't like to open some web pages for some reason.

BGW
10-18-11, 06:28 PM
This is pretty damn sweet

Barnett20110425
10-18-11, 06:42 PM
It's easier but I like the rolled sleeves. Just looks better.
I got word of it about an hour ago. Wish the Commandant would've said something about it yesterday when he was here.

CBRN5711Tech
10-18-11, 09:36 PM
This is horse****

blackshirts
10-18-11, 10:42 PM
Next month we get to wear go-fasters with our cammies.

Right...because rolling sleeves has anything to do with warfighting. You were aware the mission of the Marine Corps is winning wars, right?

FrankTheTank
10-18-11, 11:25 PM
Right...because rolling sleeves has anything to do with warfighting. You were aware the mission of the Marine Corps is winning wars, right?

And leaving them down does? It's just one of those changes the Corps makes. It happens all the time. Anyone remember the brown shirts and changing them to the green? Remember the old jungle boots that were green and black? Loved those, they took 'em. The all leather cadilacs. Multiple types of cammie changes, no more spit shining boots, ironing cammies, etc. Take away tradition and we once again follow in the footsteps of the army. I personally liked rolling the sleeves, it was something destictive to the Corps. However, as the Corps changes, we change...or we get out.

Semper Yut!

blackshirts
10-19-11, 12:29 AM
Well, SOP in country is sleeves down...my response was directed at the go fasters reply. Comparing the two is just ridiculous.

FrankTheTank
10-19-11, 12:34 AM
Indeed it is. I know only too well. I can see where the uniformity issue is, I just appreciate tradition and this is one more way to kill it. Marines foward and Marines in the rear will "look" the same...I get it. I always like the change going back conus, it was refreshing. Spending a year in Afghanistan, sleeves down the whole time, has really affected my damn redneck tan!

Mxzero
10-19-11, 12:52 AM
Wow, never realized how many people would really be so mad about something like this. I don't really see how it's a big deal, it's just one less thing I have to worry about all in all.

FrankTheTank
10-19-11, 01:09 AM
Wow, never realized how many people would really be so mad about something like this. I don't really see how it's a big deal, it's just one less thing I have to worry about all in all.

...is exactly what I thought when they took away spit-shining our boots. Never thought of it as a tradition, just thought of it as annoying. Looking back on it, I realize that it was one of those things that stood us apart from the other branches. This is one of those things. The rolled sleeves were something you really only saw on Marines and it put us apart from our sister services. I never did that "perfect cuff" thing, just liked the look...plus I have big arms and now how am I going to show those things off? Seriously though, it's not anger, or being mad about it...it's more...dissapointment and a little sadness at the loss of the tradition. We'll all get over the butt-hurt and move on to doing what we do best. As with all change, this too shall pass.

gonzo4
10-19-11, 01:56 AM
I only have spent 1 summer with having to roll my sleeves being that I spent this summer in Afghanistan. I like rolling the sleeves but I'm not gonna miss cutting off my circulation or having someone else haing to help me get my blouse off. And with people concerned about the heat... Sleeves down in the sandbox, its horribly hot and it sucks but you get used to it.

silverdollar
10-19-11, 07:53 AM
How in the hell is it a tradition to roll your sleeves up? When did it start?

Sgt Morales, AM
10-19-11, 08:24 AM
HERE YOU GO FELLAS :(

MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE
Date Signed: 10/18/2011
MARADMIN Active Number: 621/11 2011

R 181719Z OCT 11
UNCLASSIFIED//
MARADMIN 621/11
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE//
REF/A/MSGID-DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MCUB/31MAR2003//
AMPN/A IS MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//
POC/M. BOYT/CIV/UNIT:MCUB/-/TEL: 703-432-3333/TEL-DSN 378-3333 /EMAIL:MARY.BOYT(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THIS MARADMIN ANNOUNCES THE COMMANDANT'S DECISION TO CHANGE THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM (MCCUU) WEAR POLICY.
2. EFFECTIVE 24 OCTOBER 2011, THE MCCUU WILL BE WORN WITH THE SLEEVES DOWN, YEAR ROUND. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT TIMING OF THE SEASONAL UNIFORM CHANGE, WHICH WILL BE ADDRESSED AND ANNOUNCED IN A FUTURE MARADMIN.
3. REFERENCE (A) WILL BE UPDATED TO REFLECT THIS CHANGE.
4. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY LTGEN W. J. WILLIAMS, DIRECTOR, MARINE CORPS STAFF.//

GregHager
10-19-11, 08:18 PM
Here at Fort Leonard Wood it's pretty much universal from what I've saw and heard...no one likes the change.

1994formulalt1
10-19-11, 09:34 PM
yeah I really wished the man would have told us when he was here like 4 days ago... but it's all good one less thing I have to do on sundays, maybe next he will change some hair cut regs

FrankTheTank
10-19-11, 11:32 PM
How in the hell is it a tradition to roll your sleeves up? When did it start?

A tradition is nothing more than something that has been "passed down" from one generation to the next. I have heard the term "white sleeves", or "white side out" many...many times. Don't get me wrong, this isn't something that is going to matter in a few weeks, i'm sure. Most people find it annoying, or pointless, to say the least. Like I said earlier, it is just one more way we will follow in the footsteps of the army. We should start wearing berets and put zippers on our uniforms. No more tattoos, period. Get rid of the high-and-stupid all together. Actually...that last one has merit. Hah!

DuckSauce
10-20-11, 12:00 AM
I liked the look of squared away sleeves, but it doesn't matter any more...

Knighthawk
10-20-11, 03:56 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that it should be up to Base Commanders as to whether or not their Marines roll their sleeves and when. I'm stationed in Yuma and I know that we could stand to have rolled sleeves year round, while other bases (Lejeune, New River) could stand to have sleeves down into April and as early as October. Thats just my thinking.

giveen
10-20-11, 10:26 AM
Yet another thing taken away that makes us stand out. Next it will be the EGA on the uniforms.

BGW
10-20-11, 12:53 PM
Usually some one out there is trying to come up with ways to make things rather more difficult. How often does that kind of thing happen?

Yonkers
10-21-11, 03:15 AM
This is so stupid...

devilbones2
10-21-11, 08:55 AM
We are all going to be like this:
http://hoodpasstv.com/wp-content/gallery/thumb-image/thumb655.png
No more buttons and ribbons on the blouse.

DuckSauce
10-21-11, 02:21 PM
Usually some one out there is trying to come up with ways to make things rather more difficult. How often does that kind of thing happen?

All the damn time. :banana:

Preacher
10-21-11, 02:45 PM
I don't understand it. They are saying sleeves down because they don't want tattoos to show. But since they repealed the DADT it's OK for queers to show. Go figure.

SF, Jay

AAV Crewchief
10-21-11, 03:07 PM
:banana:so I heard through the LCpl underground that we will be going to sleeves down all year around, anyone else hear about this?

Welcome to the Air Force.

BGW
10-21-11, 03:11 PM
All the damn time. :banana:

I only wish that I could of been a part in your world. Perhaps in a dream. :beer:

thewookie
10-21-11, 03:14 PM
But I hated rollling sleeves. Hated it. And of the two options, it's much more practical for a "fighting" uniform. :usmc:

SlingerDun
10-21-11, 03:56 PM
Working men and women often roll up their sleeves before approaching a difficult physical task - for freedom of movement and heat dispersion - then often roll them back down again.
My city-ex once asked about this ritual?
It's a habit from when i was a cowhand, mostly tradition.
Marines should also enjoy this freedom

cAs
10-21-11, 05:27 PM
It's a new commandant trying to leave a legacy for when he retires and is long gone. I give it one summer before people really start to say something about sleeve rolling. It really doesn't matter right now because we will be sleeves down in jungle cammies in 2 weeks. But once summer rolls around next year, everyone will have something to say. Once we get a new commandant, he will change the policy back to sleeves up and general Amos' sleeves down policy will be something we all talk about for years and that will be his legacy... An aviator commandant that made marines go sleeves down year round.

Kegler300
10-21-11, 06:10 PM
Just put 'em down girls and quit yer *****in'!

SlingerDun
10-21-11, 10:55 PM
General Amos appears to have sprouted from the perimeter of Big Ranch Country in SW Idaho. Looks like it's sleeves down until he retires.

http://buckaroohalloffame.com/photos/carlbw00.jpg

Come summertime you all light green Marines are gonna have tanned hands, cheeks and necks - nothing else

slug
10-21-11, 11:02 PM
Fvckin gay.

Sure, rolling sleeves took a few extra minutes, but we look good with em rolled. Especially compared to the garbage other services.

FrankTheTank
10-22-11, 02:28 AM
Just put 'em down girls and quit yer *****in'!

I've always been wary when Marine's aren't *****ing. If they aren't *****ing, then there is something wrong. Secure that morale. Just sayin'.

FrankTheTank
10-22-11, 02:29 AM
Umm...that filter thing made my post sound sexually explicit. I find that disturbing.

RNC
10-22-11, 04:09 AM
But I hated rollling sleeves. Hated it. And of the two options, it's much more practical for a "fighting" uniform. :usmc:

Sleeves rolled up in Vietnam. We lost, so you must be right.

Sgt Tig
10-22-11, 08:25 AM
Well s#!* happens, things always change. When I was in we had to shine boots, crease your cammies, and roll your sleeves (correctly).

I think active duty Marines have it now if you ask me... :confused:

MarinesFTW
10-22-11, 09:23 AM
Good thing it doesn't effect coveralls.

Vandrel
10-22-11, 11:17 AM
The dumb **** that people come up with when they get put in change. So ****ing glad I'm out

FoxtrotOscar
10-22-11, 11:39 AM

I don't know how you figure we "LOST"... Marine's won each and every engagement...

Politicians did not want to win...!!!!

RNC
10-22-11, 12:31 PM
I don't know how you figure we "LOST"... Marine's won each and every engagement...

Politicians did not want to win...!!!!

The politicians must have had their sleeves rolled up too. Fashion can have a great impact on the outcome of war.

FistFu68
10-22-11, 12:45 PM
:usmc: ATTITUDE CHECK-F**K IT~~~We do as We are Told...Carry On :beer::iwo:

thewookie
10-22-11, 04:49 PM

Who is we?

TheReservist
10-22-11, 04:56 PM
http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/2008/06/medium_basilone1.jpg

Rolled sleeves? Don't need them if you aren't even wearing a shirt. Who is that by the way? John Basilone

Wood5831
10-22-11, 08:41 PM
Never thought I would see that change.

Quinbo
10-22-11, 10:20 PM
If that is an official change then I believe it should also reflect on the service uniform and do completely away with service charlies and blue deltas. Futher more the tatoo policy should be modified to only tatoos that can be seen while wearing cammies with sleeves down.

Vandrel
10-23-11, 10:40 PM
If that is an official change then I believe it should also reflect on the service uniform and do completely away with service charlies and blue deltas. Futher more the tatoo policy should be modified to only tatoos that can be seen while wearing cammies with sleeves down.

Don't forget green shirts....gotta get rid of those and go with long sleeves. Then....then ditch PT shorts, don't want people seeing skin

RNC
10-24-11, 01:10 AM
Never thought I would see that change.

Blame tapes. I never thought I'd see that. I preferred stenciling the name on the back of the utility blouse. However, big army always seems to prevail. Waiting for unit patches to make a comeback. I give it 5 years.

silverdollar
10-24-11, 07:39 AM
I don`t remember rolled sleeves, must be a lot of boots on here.:D

FistFu68
10-28-11, 06:35 AM
:evilgrin: Sarge Dem Der Rolled up Sleeves is for Tha New P.C.Gyrenes Who wanna show off their Gun's and Rub Elbow's and git sum Skin when they are AzzHole 2 Belly Button~~~DADT!!! THE NEW CORPS :D :iwo:

LandsNGrooves
10-30-11, 05:16 PM
Working men and women often roll up their sleeves before approaching a difficult physical task - for freedom of movement and heat dispersion - then often roll them back down again.
My city-ex once asked about this ritual?
It's a habit from when i was a cowhand, mostly tradition.
Marines should also enjoy this freedom

So on this, quarter rolls are ok? sweet thanks bro

Old Marine
10-30-11, 06:48 PM
Rolled sleeves, what is that? Cammies, what are those?

249gunner
10-30-11, 08:08 PM
I taught they stepped over the line with the whole dont ask dont tell bull****, now this?!?!

FistFu68
10-31-11, 06:48 AM
:evilgrin: Well Iffen I was in now I'd B-Happy bout this...I think they did it so these Men and Women Marines Who have too Rub Elbows with QUEERS,Will not git Contaimated!!! Chit If I were in tha Corps now I'd wear a HAZMAT Suit all day or Night and Not Complain...You know this FAGGOTERY Is Hazerdious too Ones Health :beer: :iwo:

Old Marine
10-31-11, 09:00 AM
If the Marine Corps didn't make changes every few years, we wouldn't have anything to ***** about and all Marines would be happy. Doubt that that would work. (The happiness part)

Nedward
11-01-11, 10:59 PM
All this talk about tradition... I thought it was instant and willing obedience to all lawful orders, and discipline, that set us apart from other branches.

FrankTheTank
11-02-11, 03:26 AM
All this talk about tradition... I thought it was instant and willing obedience to all lawful orders, and discipline, that set us apart from other branches.

With that logic, we should get rid of the Marine Corps Ball, high and tights, rifle quals for anyone but infantry (every Marine a rifleman?), physical fitness...please, just do the minimum and you'll be fine, using nautical terms...the navy does that...get rid of it, Semper Fidelis...what's that?, stading for the Marine's hymn...that hurts my back...lose it, looking out for your Marine's..pfffft, Corps values? Honor...courage...I can't remember the last one...whatever. Heck, we could just all get Army digies and put a Marine Corps emblem on them. Then we could be a special unit in the Army. The Marine Corps Army Special Tactics Unit. We are exactly the same as every other army dog, but I am sure our willing obedience to all lawful orders and our discipline will set us apart.

I am certain you know what Esprit De Corps is. The way we embrace our Marine culture, history, comraderie, tradition...these are what give us that grasp on the foundation that is our discipline. Without it, what are we?

I know that this is blowing out of proportion something that is so meaningless as to be forgotten in a few weeks, but erosion works the same way. Do not misunderstand me, what you say about obeying orders and discipline are both EXTREMELY important to who and what we are. However, don't lose sight of what makes us Marine's and gives us that meaning beyond orders and dicipline. I've lost interest in the sleeve's thing. It has happened and we have moved on. I wonder though, what is the next "tradition" that will be stripped from the Corps? Hopefully it's high and tights.

As a final note, I thought it would appropriate to quote the Marine Corps itself on customs and traditions. Enjoy:

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS PROVIDE A LINK TO THE PAST; THEY BOND
MARINES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE WITH MARINES WHO WILL CARRY THE TORCH THROUGH THE FUTURE. ANY LOSS OF TRADITION OR IMPROPER OBSERVATION OF CUSTOM BLURS OUR IDENTITY AND WEAKENS US AS AN INSTITUTION. THROUGH THE FAITHFUL ADHERENCE BY COMMANDERS AND EACH INDIVIDUAL MARINE, WE PRESERVE OUR IDENTITY AND REPUTATION AS A UNIQUE AND ELITE FIGHTING ORGANIZATION.

249gunner
11-05-11, 12:12 AM
x2 ^

I was somewhat glad when I heard recruits would get M16A4s to qual with. Brand new barrels..sturdy new iron sights, but now Quantico is sending a cycle through with ACOGs to see if its going to increase the pass rate.

A 236yr old tradition of shooting iron sighted muskets and rifles is about to end aswell.
Its bad enough that table 2 now counts for the rifle badge. It was only a 100+ something years old tradition that ended in 2007.

Nedward
11-06-11, 09:18 AM
I was simply stating that things change, if someone of a higher rank says no more sleeves. No more sleeves.