PDA

View Full Version : foremer DI's/ Current please help

FaDeD
10-17-11, 04:14 PM
I have done alot of research, talked to a few former Drill Instructors in person, and Im trying to find out the method for the "frog" voice, the raspy di voice, i know its one part destroyed vocal cords but what is the key to getting started? I am going to PI soon to DI school and I am trying to get ahead, I already have some cards with the drill movements I recieved in a welcome aboard packet, ANY help would be greatly appreciated. If i can do it now, thats one less thing i have to do when i get there.

Thanks.

Zulu 36
10-17-11, 04:38 PM
I have done alot of research, talked to a few former Drill Instructors in person, and Im trying to find out the method for the "frog" voice, the raspy di voice, i know its one part destroyed vocal cords but what is the key to getting started? I am going to PI soon to DI school and I am trying to get ahead, I already have some cards with the drill movements I recieved in a welcome aboard packet, ANY help would be greatly appreciated. If i can do it now, thats one less thing i have to do when i get there.

Thanks.

Let DI School and the drill field ruin your vocal cords. Lots of practice to be had there I'm told.

SGT7477
10-17-11, 07:43 PM

Thanks.
Not all DI's have that raspy voice, mine never did,Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Phantom Blooper
10-17-11, 08:00 PM
Smokin' & Drinkin'

ecfree
10-17-11, 08:12 PM
Smokin' & Drinkin'
The 4 DI's we had ,did not have the frog..
The BLOOP is correct,,,,,try gargling with Jack Daniels 3 times a day....:beer::beer:
Good luck FaDeD..
SEMPER FI:iwo:...............Ed

Lisa 23
10-17-11, 08:20 PM
When my brother was a Drill Instructor, he never got the frog voice either.

thewookie
10-18-11, 06:11 AM
Don't try to be something your not - a frog - :yes:

None of my DI's had a "frog" voice, personally, I think it's ghey.

But, if you think that'll make you appear tougher,, then frog on....

FaDeD
10-18-11, 09:43 AM
Well I happen to be one of those guys with a voice that is less then manly hehe.

Quinbo
10-18-11, 11:48 AM
NCO school they told us to turn on your windshield wipers and march them in your loudest voice while driving home. When you get to a stop light give em mark time and when you make a lane change give an oblique. Turns are column movements. You'll have them wipers marching in perfect cadence ;)

iamspartacus
10-18-11, 12:42 PM
NCO school they told us to turn on your windshield wipers and march them in your loudest voice while driving home. When you get to a stop light give em mark time and when you make a lane change give an oblique. Turns are column movements. You'll have them wipers marching in perfect cadence ;)

Did you have to start out with a "to the rear" when backing out of a parking space? haha! I bet having your windshield wipers going in sunny Southern California would turn a few heads.

3 out of my 4 drill instructors didn't have the frog voice either. But they were all intimidating enough as it was. One just had a deep booming voice. He was about 6'5" with arms the size of tree trunks. And our Senior Drill Instructor's voice was piercing. Not screeching... but kind of like the sound you hear when an indy car zooms by. Except it never went way, it just keep going!

Quinbo
10-18-11, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCOVAW4pmw&feature=related

thewookie
10-18-11, 12:54 PM
Well I happen to be one of those guys with a voice that is less then manly hehe.

Did your DI have one? A manly voice that is.... ;)

BTW - your recruits will remember you because of how hard you train them. Good luck, have fun.

03Mike
10-18-11, 02:52 PM
Hmmm... never remember any DIs trying to get the frog voice, most were trying to find techniques to avoid getting it. The worst cases of "frog voice" went to almost total loss of voice for a couple of days.

weapons124
10-18-11, 08:05 PM
worry less about the stupid frog voice and more on perfecting a good cadence @ 120 steps per minute. Pace count, volume and intensity dictate how well you will do marching and controlling a platoon. Ive been doing cadence for years and am amazingly good at what I do. Not too many marines can march an entire company(300+) of LOS students and have prior drill instructors come up and praise you ;) Ill be putting my package in for DI as well within the next year/year and a half. My cousin is there now with 3rd rec trng bn and I have several other friends there as well all as DI's.

MAKE SURE you can EASILY score 290 or better pft/cft, thats the single killer alone of students at DI school. Have fun man, its gonna be an experience!

VictoryttBold
10-18-11, 08:20 PM
:iwo:This is a joke right ?

tripledog
10-20-11, 12:17 AM
Man, what I would give if someone had told my DIs they had frog voices. That would have been the show of shows.

Tennessee Top
10-20-11, 04:51 AM
When I visited PI in June, I only heard one DI with a frog voice but he definitely stood out from the rest.

Good luck at school. Let us know when you become a hat. I will be going back to PI for my niece's graduation next September if she ships on time so maybe we'll see you there.