PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting with 15 College Credits...

Salient
10-14-11, 03:18 PM
My H.S. diploma is complicated because I am a dual enrolled student at a high school and a community college. Thus, the military classified me as homeschooled (but apparently not really as a homeschooler, just as something "complicated"). So my recruiter told me I have to wait until I have 15 college credits (which will be in May of 2012) in order to enlist.

Can I enlist while only showing I am on track to have 15 college credits? So during March or April next semester, I show that I am about to have all 15 college credits, like high school seniors do with their diploma when they enlist. Or is it simply, you have the credits on a transcript or you don't. Thanks.

Salient
10-14-11, 03:26 PM
Also, I went to MEPs in July and qualified. How long is my physical valid? Will I have to take another one in May, especially since I dislocated my shoulder in August (on track to full recovery though)?

MOS4429
10-14-11, 03:42 PM
My H.S. diploma is complicated because I am a dual enrolled student at a high school and a community college. Thus, the military classified me as homeschooled (but apparently not really as a homeschooler, just as something "complicated"). So my recruiter told me I have to wait until I have 15 college credits (which will be in May of 2012) in order to enlist.

Can I enlist while only showing I am on track to have 15 college credits? So during March or April next semester, I show that I am about to have all 15 college credits, like high school seniors do with their diploma when they enlist. Or is it simply, you have the credits on a transcript or you don't. Thanks.

First of all, start here:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96657

Next, read this:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101872 specifically the second and last entry.

MOS4429
10-14-11, 03:43 PM
Also, I went to MEPs in July and qualified. How long is my physical valid? Will I have to take another one in May, especially since I dislocated my shoulder in August (on track to full recovery though)?

How long did your recruiter tell you it was valid for?

Salient
10-14-11, 04:38 PM
I take it as I need to have the college credits completely done. Thanks.

How long did your recruiter tell you it was valid for?

He never told me. I haven't talked to him since he called me to tell me to come back with 15 CC and I don't want to contact him just to ask a question more of curiosity than real purpose.

Salient
10-16-11, 06:16 PM
My original question seems to have been answered but can anyone confirm how long a physical at MEPS is valid for? I still keep finding mixed answers of 6 to 12 to 24 months. Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-16-11, 06:24 PM
That's one I actually don't know. I would think a year, but hopefully a recruiter will stop by with that answer.

afraziaaaa
10-19-11, 01:18 PM
My original question seems to have been answered but can anyone confirm how long a physical at MEPS is valid for? I still keep finding mixed answers of 6 to 12 to 24 months. Thanks.

2 years.

This doesn't add up. You are schooled at home concurrently enrolled in college, or are you a senior in a traditional high school concurrently enrolled in college?

Salient
10-19-11, 07:43 PM
2 years.

This doesn't add up. You are schooled at home concurrently enrolled in college, or are you a senior in a traditional high school concurrently enrolled in college?

It's really complicated. I don't take enough classes at my private high school (because of tuition cost) to have them as my school of record (thus not get a diploma from them this year) so I have what I'm told is an umbrella school put my transcripts together. The director of the "school" told me I should be considered private schooled as all students that work with her apply to universities and jobs as such. I also take the rest of my classes at a local community college. So even though I don't take any classes at home/online, the Marine Corps put me under Tier II as homeschooled (my recruiter was told this was because the "private school"/umbrella school worked with homeschoolers.

I then found out that supposedly homeschoolers are indeed to be put under Tier I, so I contacted a legal group that worked with this type of problem. They told me I don't fall under the Homeschooled Policy that would let me be put under Tier I because I don't take any class at home and that the Military is really labelling putting me under Tier II as "complicated". So I'm going to ask them later if I would fall under the policy if I took an online class "at home". If that doesn't work, I wait until I get the 15 college credits at the end of the school year to enlist (which I guess won't be too bad as my shoulder is still healing).

Hopefully everything works out with my college credits and medical history of my shoulder. I plan to go to EMT school during the summer since I should now have extra time waiting to go to Boot Camp after I graduate. ...And that's my progress with enlisting into the United States Marine Corps. :cool:

Lisa 23
10-19-11, 08:39 PM
Also...along with all of what you have going on now, be sure to let your recruiter know about your dislocated shoulder. You'll need a medical waiver for that.