PDA

View Full Version : how to gain weight

ptjoshpt
10-11-11, 08:02 PM
Right now im in good shape for bootcamp I can do 30 dead hang chinups, do 100 crunches in 2minutes and get a 19 43 3mile, but I only weigh 152 pounds, right now my daily workout consists of me doing 200 pullups total, 100 chinups ,500 pushups and 100 dips. Can someone tell me how to gain weight while still staying (cut), like for example instead of doing full body workouts daily should I split up my muscle groups like back one day chest one day, lastly how many reps per set should i do for gaining weight Thank you for any tips you give me and thank you for the service to your country.:flag:

MOS4429
10-11-11, 08:08 PM
Right now im in good shape for bootcamp I can do 30 dead hang chinups, do 100 crunches in 2minutes and get a 19 43 3mile, but I only weigh 152 pounds, right now my daily workout consists of me doing 200 pullups total, 100 chinups ,500 pushups and 100 dips. Can someone tell me how to gain weight while still staying (cut), like for example instead of doing full body workouts daily should I split up my muscle groups like back one day chest one day, lastly how many reps per set should i do for gaining weight Thank you for any tips you give me and thank you for the service to your country.:flag:

You didn't say how much you run every day.

ptjoshpt
10-11-11, 08:40 PM
sorry, about that sir i do long distance running 3-5miles monday-wed-friday and i do 400 meter sprints on tuesday and thursday.

Phantom Blooper
10-11-11, 08:46 PM
What is your height?

ptjoshpt
10-11-11, 08:47 PM
5'11

Phantom Blooper
10-11-11, 09:00 PM
According to the weight standards for height and weight you fall about right in the middle for your height.

http://www.*************/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/usmc-weight-charts

Are you going for bulk and tone?

Due to health reasons I can't lift anymore...haven't in about 1 1/2 years but I did a full body work out ....all groups 3 x's a week to maintain tone along with diet.

Worked for me for years.

MOS4429
10-11-11, 09:03 PM
There are a lot of variables to this. When I was your age, I also wanted to gain weight for football. The way we did it was we ate a lot and drank a lot of protein shakes and we weightlifted. I wasn't too concerned about that 6-pack thing and staying cut.

But the bottom line is to gain weight, you have to consume more calories than you burn, and if you do not want to add fat, then you need to consume lean calories and not fat calories. BTW, excessive carbohydrates stores as energy, and it stores in the form of fat.

A 16 year old kid who is active needs to consume, so say the experts, 2200 to 3200 calories a day. But your level of physical activity is burning about 1000 to 1200 calories a day.

So you might start by getting a calorie counter, write down everything you eat in a day for a week. Add up the calories and see how many you are consuming. If you are consuming about 3500 a day, I'd say that is about enough to maintain.

Weightlifting is good for adding muscle mass, and muscle weighs more than fat, but it also burns more calories.

Once you determine how many calories you are eating a day and average it for a week, if you are maintaining weight, then you know that you need to eat more. But don't go eating more pogey-bait to do that.

I was never into body building so I was never into eating all those raw vegies and cans of tuna, but you want to be selective in what you eat to put lean body weight and not fat. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say you need to be eating 4,000 to 4,500 calories a day and maybe more with you running. I will PM somebody who has posted some info about this and might help, too.

BTW, you should be running cross country, too!!

Phantom Blooper
10-11-11, 09:07 PM
http://www.*************/military-fi...-weight-charts (http://www.*************/military-fi...-weight-charts)

military dot com

chulaivet1966
10-11-11, 09:52 PM
Ok...I'll chime in to get you going...

It is very difficult to gain solid muscle weight and stay 'cut' at the same time.
Reason: your diet (macros+ratio of protein,fats, carbs) has to be impeccable to do both....even body builders cannot do both easily.
So...most would say do one or the other but do it smartly.
IIRC one can only gain about 2-3 pounds of solid muscle a year with proper eating and lifting.
Lot's of bull sh!t bro science out there so don't believe anything without verification along with your own judgment.

In order to get gain weight you have to eat more than your daily macros.
Meaning healthy fats, proteins mixed with complex carbs and a sh!tload of veggies.
Then...hit the iron with a good routine without setting lofty goals.
To build/maintain the muscle mass (if you are lifting) get at least 1-1.5 grams protein per body pound of body weight.

For further education go here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php

Much here to learn and that should get you on the path.
If you have a specific question I'll try to answer but the web site above should help.

Good luck....

ptjoshpt
10-11-11, 10:48 PM
thank you for the helpful tips Marines

lamanognr86
10-12-11, 06:37 AM
Two things that may/may not help you.

1. Eat
2. Why ask on a military website about physical fitness. How about going to bodybuilding.com or go to your local GNC store and ask there

thewookie
10-12-11, 06:51 AM
Get married, have kids. ;)

Good luck. :yes:

MOS4429
10-12-11, 11:12 AM
Get married, have kids. ;)

Good luck.

LOL! :)

But...but...he said he wanted to remain cut! :sick:

chulaivet1966
10-12-11, 12:00 PM
LOL! :)But...but...he said he wanted to remain cut! :sick:

Yes....can't do both.

Wookie.....you're suggestion is certainly a path to success.:)

Carry on....