PDA

View Full Version : Looking for that collective wisdom

smnews
10-08-11, 12:58 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Before I begin, I'd like to say that this is my first time posting on this forum. While I've read many threads before on many subjects, I've never contributed to the conversations. The purpose of this threat is to ask for your collective wisdom in a matter that is very important to me: my service to my country.

To give you some background, I am a 25 year-old, active duty Sergeant (recently selected to Staff Sergeant) in the 0511 MOS, MAGTF Planner. For the past several years, I've found it very hard to decide what the next step will be. During this time, I had it in my mind that I wanted to be an officer of Marines. After all, being in this position would grant me two things: first, the privilege of leading Marines, and second, the ability to be part of a cadre of individuals whose decisions have an operational and strategic-level impact. Unfortunately, I've come to lose that vision as I've become increasingly aware that I MAY not be able to have the impact I want to have as a Marine Officer, or perhaps even as a Marine. This has led me to a point where I feel that I should leave the Marine Corps if I am to serve my country in the manner that I seek.

Now, some will say (and very rightfully so) that the Marine Corps offers nothing else but the title "Marine" to those who earn it. Anything else, from MOS to duty station, is "icing on the cake." Should I be content that I have the title and go on my way? To put it bluntly, the answer to this is "no." The reality for me is that having the title Marine is not enough. While grateful to have gotten as far as I have in my career, I don't believe I am serving my country to the full extent of my ability and desires (two very different factors, I know.) I feel that the next step I take must bring me closer to the service I seek.

I keep abreast of all current events -- both foreign and domestic matters -- and often witness the plight that many people experience. Dictatorial regimes, human trafficking, and even poverty are things that I wish I could do something about. In fact, I began to volunteer with an organization that helps victims of human trafficking, and am looking to increase my participation in other areas. Yet, I feel that I am barely scratching the tactical level of a broader, strategic-level problem. Others will say that Marines are often involved in everything from humanitarian missions to combat operations, yet this is only after the bureaucracy above us can muster the political capital to make it acceptable to "send the Marines." As we have seen in the recent UN Security Council resolution vote, as well as muted responses in government, not even in the face of human rights violations does the bureaucracy act in a manner that effectively protects human life.

Can I reasonably expect to have the impact I seek while in the Marines? Is the Marine Corps still right for me, and am I still right for the Marine Corps? Have you found yourselves in a similar situation, and how did you contend with it? What can you tell me that will grant me some clarity?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any information and guidance you may provide.

Respectfully,
Sgt Castillo, Franklin R.

Quinbo
10-08-11, 01:09 AM
I am having a difficult time understanding the purpose of your threat.

Marine84
10-08-11, 12:07 PM
Bulky, you been hanging out on the Fort too long.

Sgt - I know how you feel and all I can tell you is just pick the right road for YOU. If you have a family, take them into consideration when making your decision.

The world does seem to be going to hell in a handbasket. I love it when people like you want to help people but, why not help people in/from THIS country. It gets overwhelming when you think about everything that should be done so that ALL of us on the planet can have the good life. WE CANNOT CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD! We can only do what we can when we can and try to enjoy what time we have on this earth in the process.

The Serenity Prayer has been my "saviour".

God, grant me the Serenity to accept things I cannot change. Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference.

You'll work it out. Just try not to over think things and you'll make the right choice.

Sgt Jim
10-08-11, 01:12 PM
:thumbup:What Marine84 said

Mongoose
10-08-11, 01:49 PM
:thumbup:What Marine84 said
Ditto!

Sergeant M
10-08-11, 05:35 PM
If you are looking to go down the road of politics.... I would vote for you!

EGTSpec
10-08-11, 09:04 PM
All I can say is "YOU" have to follow your heart/beliefs/values. No-one can make a career/life decision for you, but "YOU". But we are here to give you support no matter what you decide. And what Marine84 said makes a lot of sense.

sparkie
10-08-11, 10:17 PM
You sound like a business operator to me. We could use a few of those. Go do business, pay some folks, so they can feed famlies,,,,,,,,,,,Semper Fi.