PDA

View Full Version : Temporary I&I staff for officers

Yut3531
10-06-11, 06:26 PM
Good Evening,

I'm a reserve LCpl. and I just graduated PLC this summer. Once I graduate with my bachelors in May I will get commissioned. This is great, except for the fact that the wait from the time I get commissioned to the time I can go to TBS is over a year. During that time I will get no pay or benefits, and I will get kicked out of my reserve unit and I can't deploy. I will essentially be a civilian. I did however hear that it is possible to find reserve units that will take me and put me in an I&I staff billet as a butter bar before I go to TBS. Has anyone done this? How did you go about it.

Semper Fidelis
LCpl. Engel

Blutic
10-07-11, 08:50 AM
Highly unlikely due to lack of funding. Money is extremely tight right now, particularly concerning reserve support. Some reserve officers can do up to a year of active duty with I-I staff after TBS and MOS school, but they have to be at a unit scheduled for deployment following that time. I pretty sure you won't qualify for any billet because you don't have an MOS. Enlisted MOS doesn't matter once you commission. My advice: go to Hawaii, Key West, or some place like that and tend bar for a year.