PDA

View Full Version : Funny moments in the Corps

pocatellodave
10-06-11, 09:37 AM
I'll throw this one out to see how many Marines had a funny moment in their USMC tour.
Mine was at MCRD,Platoon 172 in boot camp.We were using are buckets filled with water to water the sand,when one Marine splashed water on another member of the platoon.This pizzed off the guy that got splashed,so he threw his whole bucket full of water at the antagonist!Now comes the funny part,he missed the target but threw it into the window of the D.I.'s duty hut!Sgt Jackson was the on duty D.I.,and he was the master of cursing and bringing wrath upon any thing and everything!I thought the punishment would never stop that A.M.!Having to go to chow saved us, but it cost a cigarette for the whole day.
Semper Fi

Apache
10-06-11, 09:58 AM
Defiantly an Aw S---- moment in time !

Fast forward several years
I was assigned to an Army unit for marksmanship training

In a meeting with the officers and the C.O.
C.O. commented the General was due on site tomorrow and he wanted the area strat
Note:this was one of the few leaders out there that you wanted to work for him
Took care of his troops (after the mission of course)
C.O. made the comment he'd like to really dress up the area
Picnic table walk stones maybe a canopy etc. HA HA

I drew a Duce and a clipboard
Went to the billeting area and assembled a work crew
Went to the Officers mess and borrowed what I needed
Returned to assembly area and deposited same items

C.O. found me and asked about said items
I told him he didn't want to know details

General did his visit and asked where the items came from
C.O. said he did not know

After leaving us the Generals next stop was guess where ?
SCRAMBLE
Sent a runner to delay the General with a message from another unit in the near vicinity
(bogus)

Scramble -return that which was borrowed

General never knew any different

Two days later the C.O. laughing his a-- off said thank you a good impression was made

montana
10-06-11, 10:00 AM
one very dark fogy mornin during rifel range while in formation after marching to the bus stop we hear a EEEEEEOOOOHHHH then a fante dig dig.....then EEEEEEOOOOHHH then fante dig ding....it gets lowder and lowder then hear the rithom of marching feet along with it....plt 3029 was marched to the buss stop the right guide had a bright flashlight and was the EEEEOOOOHHH fog horne..the last recrute had a bright red light swinging back and forth ....he was the ding ding...everyone got a lought out of that

Zulu 36
10-06-11, 11:26 AM
Apache reminds me of a similar incident I was involved with unwittingly. As the unit's truck driver, I was assigned to take one of VMA-211's Gunnery Sergeants and a couple of Corporals to Long Binh, the very large Army base north of Saigon. I had only been in Vietnam about a week or two.

Once aboard Long Binh, the Gunny directed me to a compound that had sheds full of pallets of beer. The compound had something to do with the Army/Air Force Exchange. He told me to drop the side on my deuce bed while he and the Corporals went inside a shack with my trip ticket clip board.

A few minutes later he came out (clip board in hand) and he had a Vietnamese guy forklift a pallet of beer into my truck. As soon as it was loaded the Gunny was all in a hurry to secure the truck, get in, and drive out. I was confused, but I was a PFC then and didn't question a Gunny.

The Gunny was smiling but said nothing to me until we left the main gate and got out onto Highway 1 back towards Bien Hoa. Then he told me we just stole that pallet of beer. He hadn't done anything inside the shack, just went in, hung out a bit, came out and ordered the forklift operator to load a pallet like he had taken care of all necessary paperwork and payment.

We got back to Bien Hoa, got a few extra hands, and loaded all that beer into a Conex box. I have a photo of me, the Gunny, and one of the Corporals in the Conex box. They were smiling, I looked like I was about to head for Portsmouth Naval Prison. But I had seen a master at work.

BTW, a pallet of beer then equaled 88 cases. Gunny counted every one.

Oh, I learned fast and participated in a few more "raids," wittingly those times. No more scrounged beer, but other things best kept secret.

MOS4429
10-06-11, 01:20 PM
Had a corpsman who was a friend of mine and flew SAR. This was when I was at El Toro the first time. He asked if I wanted to go up in the Huey with him as then flew training down to Pendleton. You bet. So...we flew out of El Toro, doors open, sitting in the open down to Pendleton and over to the beach. The pilot got a kick out of banking the chopper and scaring the you know what out of me. But if any of you know the beaches of Pendleton, by San Onofre there is an open beach to civilians. As the chopper flew in low and slow, the corpsman hung out the side of the chopper mooning the beach goers. He got a round of applause, but mostly cause that area of beach was nudist anyway so not shocking to them. But I thought the whole scene was quite hillarious.

vets rep
10-06-11, 05:16 PM
The Day I got Top Secret Pentagon Level Warfighting Equipment

A lot of grunts received secondary training. Some went to humvee school to get their license, others went to hand to hand combat training and got their green belt instructor's belt in Semper Fu, and still other got to go and learn high-speed CQB door to door room clearing. Me...I was selected to become the NBC NCO for my platoon. NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Warfare).

Part of my NBC training required that I learn how to trouble-shoot gas mask problems, learn to work high-speed chemical weapons detection equipment, and learn how to set up a proper MOPP Gear sterilization station.

Well, 9/11 happens and my unit 3/5 gets sent to Kuwait. About a week before the invasion we get word from battalion that all NBC NCO's are to meet with the NBC Chief Warrant officer for last minute training before we start the invasion.

So, I'm expecting that the warrant officer is going to give us some last minute intel on the threat of chemical weapons, or maybe pass out some high-speed chemical warfare gear for us to use....instead, when we get to the meeting, he tells us that the "higher-ups" decided that each platoon would be required to carry a live chicken with them.

WTF---A chicken in a cage? We were told that if the chicken suddenly dies, it might be because there is some harmful chemicals in the area. I know this story sounds too crazy to believe but I swear on chesty puller's grave that its the truth.

Sure enough, a few days later, some dudes show up with a chicken in a cage and hands it to our platoon. Nobody wanted the damn chicken in their humvee. I couldn't believe it. Here we are, on the eve of invading Iraq, its the 21st Century, with night vision, thermal vision, anti-armor rounds, etc. And here we are, invading a country using a damn chicken as our High-Speed Chemical weapon detection system.

Marine84
10-06-11, 05:49 PM
Way too many but, the one that sticks out the most was in Millington (A School) and the only thing seperating us WM's from the Squid Pen next door was a sidewalk. We were told, as soon as our feet hit the deck checking in, that we were NOT to be seen on the other side of that sidewalk under NO circumstances. Then we were given the whole blah, blah, blah spill about our reputations (LOL! Like we cared!). Now, what is the first thing we tend to do when we're told NOT to?

Yep, there just happened to be a really cute Squid from Australia had a room on the bottom floor of the Pen. He broke his leg at one point and a few of us WM's were just gonna stand at his window and talk to him. It was already dark outside so we decided we were going to sneak through that window and socialize with him for a while. One was already in the room, one was halfway through the window and I would have been next. Then I hear "GREEN! YOU KNOW YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO BE OVER THERE!". I swear I bout had a heart attack!

One of the Duty's that was posted at OUR barracks had gone upstairs and woke the frkn Deck NCO up out of a dead sleep to "report" something that was forbidden happening. Our punishment? We had to use razor blades to actually scrape up excess wax along the baseboards of the hallways on our deck, strip the wax, re-wax it and buff the bejesus out of it...............on a Saturday.

David R 1968
10-06-11, 06:31 PM
Zulu, It was 84 cases on a pallet, 7 per row, drank a lot of PBR Black label, after I came home I worked for PBR .and still drink a lot of it today.

Zulu 36
10-06-11, 07:04 PM
Zulu, It was 84 cases on a pallet, 7 per row, drank a lot of PBR Black label, after I came home I worked for PBR .and still drink a lot of it today.

You are probably right. It's been a few years after all.

I just looked at the photo. We got a pallet of Falstaff. But a free pallet of beer is a free pallet of beer. :D

Actually, I never drank a drop of that beer. I had gotten so un-Godly sick on Orion beer in Okinawa, I couldn't stomach any brand beer for over a year.