PDA

View Full Version : Going from IRR to Active reserves

travisgreyfox
10-06-11, 12:55 AM
Hey there marines...I did 4 years active duty, Have been out for a year and i'm collecting VA benefits (60%) A prior enlisted recruiter contacted me and I got interested in trying to go into the reserves. Did all my paperwork and got it turned in. I'm now waiting for an interview with the 1st sgt. of the reserve unit.
I dont (or cant) loose my VA benefits money coming in. I have a baby girl and wife and a house I just bought. I will loose my home without that money. So my question is, how much of a risk am I taking? What are the oods of the VA coming after me to stop the payments?

Any info. would be great.

Thanks, and Semper FI!

Blutic
10-07-11, 08:53 AM
Are you talking about disability money? If you are disabled, you can't be in the SCMR. If you are not, you're a fraud and should go to prison. Which is it?

sparkie
10-07-11, 09:29 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106308

Wonder if this guy is collecting anything.

SSgtRSD
10-07-11, 10:41 AM
Incorrect. You can be in the SMCR while collecting disability. However, during drill weekends your check will be reduced during that time as you can not collect disability and a military check for the same period. This also applies that if you deployed (and are medically able to) or activated, your disability will be suspended. But yes, you can be in the SMCR with disability. You cant be on active duty or the AR program with disability.

SSgtRSD
10-07-11, 01:24 PM
No disrespect meant sir. Also, this obviously implies that you are medically qualified. Hell, you can get disability just for receiving an injury (that may even be fully healed) while in service. So having dusability doesn't necessarily mean that you are not medically today.

travisgreyfox
10-07-11, 07:44 PM
Thanks alot guys, I'm working for the army now, and that makes me miss the marines even more so! The VA said i'm 60% but only get payed for 50. I just want to be around marines again and defend my country...I just cant loose the money I have coming in, that would'nt be worth going back in if the VA decicides to come after me.

markmil2002
10-13-11, 07:39 PM
Thanks alot guys, I'm working for the army now, and that makes me miss the marines even more so! The VA said i'm 60% but only get payed for 50. I just want to be around marines again and defend my country...I just cant loose the money I have coming in, that would'nt be worth going back in if the VA decicides to come after me.

I ended up in the Army Reserves as well.....I can't stand those nasties! I miss the Corps more than ever!