PDA

View Full Version : Switching to AR or Active?

slambert
10-05-11, 08:24 PM
Good Evening,

Im in the process of switching from the USMCR component to Active USMC. Ive been doing it since Feb. 2011, and its very long process for me right now. My unit released me, but my recruiters are giving me the run around. Ive searched the web and cant find any resolute answers for myself. This is whats happened:

Feb 2011: Request to go active
May 2011: approval for release from unit
June 2011: My recruiters say i need to run a PFT and CFT
Oct 1, 2011: Finish both PFT and CFT with 1st class

So this past monday I went and spoke with the RSS in my area. The SNCOIC said he had no clue were to go from here and he would contact the operations officer. Its been almost 4 days now so Im starting to get worried and seeking advice. These are regular recruiters and not a PSR. I want to go Active but this is taking forever and Im getting the run around. Does anybody actually know the process? I contacted a Gunny in VA who is the reserve liaison and he said to get in touch with a PSR. Today I called a PSR and he said he could make me Active Reserves in about 1 month. Ive heard a lot of negatives about the AR program. I just recently got married in August and want the best decision for my wife. Im 19 and I thought you had to be 21 for the AR program but the PSR said he could get around that or something? Im asking for advice on HOW to go active from where Im at AND should I possibly consider the AR program as a solution? Does anybody know the pros and cons between either, and can anyone help me with going active. I feel lost and need some guidance. Im an Lcpl 0231 Intel Spec reservist. Im basically sitting at my house all day like a bum waiting. I feel like Im wasting valuable time with all this cat and mouse crap. The PSR said I can apply friday and it will take abut a month to go AR. Im about ready to just say yes so I can be done with all of this and take care of my wife. Any help would be appreciated and I thank you for the time taken to read this.

Semper Fidelis
Lcpl Lambert, Chris

SSgtRSD
10-05-11, 09:05 PM
First, have you read the MCO regarding augmentation to active duty? If not, you need to. The problem with te process is two fold. First, most RSSs or RSs dont know the process, nor have experience putting up a package. Second, recruiters are contacted regularly by reservists and prior service marines who seek to go active but do not follow through. This then leaves the recruiters with a bitter taste in their mouths. I know because I just completed the process this past august and am back on Active Duty.

Do me a favor, read the order, and then follow up with questions you have. Also, if I were you, I would continue to meet with the PSR and continue the process. It would not hurt to move forward on both.

slambert
10-05-11, 09:18 PM
Yes SSgt Do you know where I can fin the MCO regarding augmentation to active duty. I will thoroughly read it as you suggested. Also I have no plans to abandon ship on my journey to the active side. Im all for this. I appreciate your help.

slambert
10-05-11, 09:28 PM
SSgt I read the MCO. I think I understood it. Basically my time in Grade will be wiped and my placement as an Active Marine is based on the needs of the USMC.

Process
a. Former Marines who desire to reenlist must contact their recruiter for instructions. Requests will be processed as quickly as possible.
b. Application instructions and proper chain of command endorsements will differ depending upon status at the time of application.
c. Marines who have been mobilized may apply for reenlistment in the regular Marine Corps, but must be released from their mobilization orders by CMC (MPP-60) before effecting the reenlistment.

I have been released from my unit. I have gone to the recruiters as well as a PSR for the 1st time today. Thank you for this info but Im still confused. With all due respect I think Ive done all this. What do I do now. The Recruiter acts like he doesn't know from beyond this point. Is there something you were leaning towards that Im missing? Thank you.

SSgtRSD
10-05-11, 10:02 PM
Nope, just wanted to first make sure you knew the basics. Also, you will have seen that you can't actually suit your package until January 1st. This is done to allow current active duty Marines first dibs on boatspaces. This will not prevent you from starting your package though. The RS should have the PSEP (prior service enlistment package) requirements. There is a lot of paperwork and most of it is the same as new working applicant packages. Big thing is Getting the basics to go to MEPS. You still have to do the full physical. Here's my suggestion, first SNCOIC is who you need to be working with. They are the only ones with the time. Honestly, you will run into the problem with your rank. It is not impossible, but you are fighting an uphill battle. Just trying to be honest, it can be easy to blow of a LCPL. So if you are getting blown off, I would move to a different RSS and try your luck there.

slambert
10-05-11, 10:11 PM
SSgt I neglected to mention I have already done my physical at MEPs. I did that a couple months ago. To be honest I had completely forgotten. I have also completed that step. I understand your honesty about being a Lcpl. I plan on beating this horse till its dead or I get what Im striving for. What do you mean by having to wait till Jan 1st? Can you elaborate on that please. Also is it possible to go through with the AR package and then move to active from there once I pick up NCO. Thank you.

SSgtRSD
10-05-11, 10:25 PM
Yes you can move from the AR to AC. However you would probably have to wait till you complete your first AR tour. But it would probably be easier because it's less of a transition. As I had said, per the MCO all FTAP packages must wait till Jan 1st to submit a package. It's in there. Furthermore, a recent MARADMIN changed it to all PSEP packages, including SNCOs, must wait to Jan 1st to submit a package.