PDA

View Full Version : You have to be a 03 to be in FAST RTT

REMUSMC
10-04-11, 03:17 AM
I'm stuck inbetween re-enlisting and going to collage, and I really haven't decided what one to pick just yet. If I do consider re-enlisting I'd like to move to FAST RTT. I was wondering if it was true that you had to be a 03 to join? Also if anyone is appart of FAST and has some info they could give to me that'd be amazing! Thanks for you time!

thewookie
10-04-11, 07:08 AM
I'm stuck inbetween re-enlisting and going to collage, and I really haven't decided what one to pick just yet. If I do consider re-enlisting I'd like to move to FAST RTT. I was wondering if it was true that you had to be a 03 to join? Also if anyone is appart of FAST and has some info they could give to me that'd be amazing! Thanks for you time!
No, you do not have to, but it's very hard. I know one guy who I worked with teaching CQB at the MCSF schoolhouse and he did it. He was originally a MP, and hard as nails. He left teaching with us and went to FAST to get OJT'd as a 03, once he got the 03 MOS -- then he joined the fun with FAST.

Over ten years later, he's still in, but now he's a senior enlisted Marine teaching at the MARSOC schoolhouse.

It won't be easy, I can assure you of that, but it can be done - but it will most definitely require some type of lat move.

FaDeD
10-04-11, 07:54 AM
No, you do not have to, but it's very hard. I know one guy who I worked with teaching CQB at the MCSF schoolhouse and he did it. He was originally a MP, and hard as nails. He left teaching with us and went to FAST to get OJT'd as a 03, once he got the 03 MOS -- then he joined the fun with FAST.

Over ten years later, he's still in, but now he's a senior enlisted Marine teaching at the MARSOC schoolhouse.

It won't be easy, I can assure you of that, but it can be done - but it will most definitely require some type of lat move.

Thats because field MP's. do the exact same thing 03's do an more. We generally attatch to victor units for deployments and get laced in with little notice. MP's are one of the few mos's to unnticed by the harsh crowds of Marines screaming the word POG. If you search hard enough MP's are also the only other MOS at a time that was alloud to attend Scout Sniper Course in Quantico/Pendelton. Because of the roles and billets they fill.

If you are not around weapons on a daily basis, and have been doing things like patrolling ect on deployments and in traiing, then a lateral move after your first enlistment is going to be hard on your career, especially if you plan on staying in, You are basically going to be a boot again in a new mos/duty and you will loose all your MOS credibility. If you a LCPL now and you havnt even picked up CPL by the end of your enlistment do you think you will be able to pick up SSgt by your 10 year mark.

Just some things my JR Marines never think about, when you are trying to make a career out of somthing you should be happy with what you have and not always look to what you think is greener grass.

Cpl, USMC

REMUSMC
10-04-11, 08:08 AM
thewookie: What would be the hard part about it? Getting the actual job or being able to do the training? I've wanted to do high speed stuff since I was 16, then i got lied to by a recruiter and enlisted as Motor T (haha).

FaDeD: I understand what your saying here, but like I said above to Wookie, its something I've been wanting since I was young. Most people hate MCT; the combat conditoning the long stressfull hours 'n things like that. Well I love it and its something I want. I think the only thing in life holding you back is yourself and I always give 100%. In regards to CPL My cutting score is mid 1600 at the moment so I'm just chasing the score, So i'll probably go on a board or something.

Thanks for the input Gents.

thewookie
10-04-11, 09:57 AM
Thats because field MP's. do the exact same thing 03's do an more.

I hear what you are saying and I agree for the most part. Although the fact that my buddy was a MP had a little to do with it: the biggest factor was his ability, drive, and past performance. They offered the same basic package to me, originally a 3531, and another guy in our section who was originally a electrician.

thewookie
10-04-11, 10:03 AM
thewookie: What would be the hard part about it? Getting the actual job or being able to do the training? I've wanted to do high speed stuff since I was 16, then i got lied to by a recruiter and enlisted as Motor T (haha).

I think the hardest part about getting it is first getting it lined up -- they don't do that for everybody. And, who knows what they do now. Miles was already in the Battalion, they knew him, it made it easier for the powers that be to let him go over to FAST for his OJT package.

The training itself is going to be a challenge depending on your skillsets. You are going to be thrown to the wolves and if you survive then you might make it. Not only will you have to learn the 03 things, but you will also be thrown into the 8152/54 MOS's and need to perform there.

Anything is possible, anything, but like I always say -- what are you willing to sacrifice and give up to get what you want. How bad do you want it, and can you convince somebody else that you are worthy of the time and money that is going to be invested in you.

FaDeD
10-04-11, 11:03 AM
To original poster:
You sound like every other motto boot that we get in our shop fresh from schoolhouse. "Youve always wanted to do highspeed things" "My recruiter screwed me, i really wanted to be infantry" these are speals i hear daily, You want to be high speed, you want to do somthing very few do, somthing you will find challengeing and rewarding, go Marsoc.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/recruiting/Main-Page.aspx

Recruiting information ^

You will pick up rank fast, deploy alot, have challenging schools, ect..

This is the Marine Corps new golden child, you want to do somthing high speed and good for your career, there you go.

Marinefelon
10-10-11, 07:28 AM
I did not read all the comments. But if you re-enlist for security forces anyone can... Regardless of MOS... when you get to a PRP command (bangor or Kingsbay) you can try out for RTT. If you pass the Spin ups at the base they will send you to the school at Chesapeake. Then you will be in RTT as a shooter, breacher, or DM