PDA

View Full Version : Is this True?

Rooger
10-02-11, 11:09 AM
I received this letter via email today and would like to validate whether it is true or not.

" This is a letter that my good friend's husband wrote today after his uncle's funeral yesterday. If Obama does not want his name associated with our military, too bad he wanted his name associated with "The President of the United States."
Today I was incensed at the conclusion of a traditional Serbian-Orthodox funeral for my beloved 85 year old uncle, Daniel Martich, who proudly served in the US Army during The Korean Conflict.
During the committal service at a Pittsburgh cemetery the local military detachment performed their ritual, then folded and presented the American Flag to my aunt.
As I'm sure you have witnessed during military funerals, a soldier bends to one knee and recites a scripted message to a surviving relative that begins
'On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation, I wish to present you with this flag in appreciation for your husband's service ...'.
However, today the dialogue was 'On behalf of the Secretary of Defense and a grateful nation ...'
After the service I approached the soldier who presented the flag to my aunt to inquire about the change in language.
His response was "The White House notified all military funeral service detachments to immediately remove 'the President' and insert 'the Secretary of Defense'.
I couldn't believe what I heard and the soldier smiled and said "You can draw your own conclusion sir but that was the order". He, too, was ashamed of what he was required to say.
This president has taken off the gloves.
My only response to this endless cesspool of Anti-American rhetoric dripping from his mouth is to borrow a phrase (with one minor change) uttered by another temporary Washington resident living in government housing:
"Today for the first time in my adult life I was ASHAMED of my country".
I did not serve in the military, but my love of country parallels that of people like my late uncle who bled Red, White and Blue.
As a second generation Serbian-American who's heritage produced many patriotic military men and women who fought for freedom both in The United States as well as in the former Yugoslavia (most recently in Kosovo against the slaughter of Serbs by Muslim extremists) I implore you to make the American people aware of this little-known or, at least, publicly acknowledged fact."

What do you think Marines? Personally it make me very very angry. :mad:

GySgtRet
10-02-11, 11:52 AM
I hadn't heard of this until you posted it. To win the hearts and minds for votes doesn't seem to be on the agenda of this CIC? So I would like to see him step down go out of sight so we won't have to go through the funeral of a past presidet and that stuf associated with that put the nation in mourning for a moron who is destroying the country that I love. I don't think this CIC would last very long in the real world he is a prime target with executive orders like this going out. To answer your question.

Is this true?

I hope not. For the memory of great people like your uncle to gave everything at their own expense.

Semper Fi
Gunny out
:usmc:

Old Marine
10-02-11, 12:53 PM
You might look it up on SNOPES.

jamielang1951
10-02-11, 01:51 PM
I tried Hoax-Slayer and Snopes. I assume you sumitted it to Snopes. As you can see it's still undetermined. They list it as "research in progress".

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n491/jamielang1/Forum%20Postings/snopescom-ChangeinMilitaryFuneralProtocol2011-10-0213-42-24.jpg

EastofWest18
10-02-11, 02:32 PM
I just buried a Marine and his working dog a little over a Month ago, and let me assure you gave the condolences of the President of The United States and a Grateful Nation when we introduced ourselves to the family. I know for a fact that during the ceremony we didn't mention the Secretary of Defense.

There is a ton of Bunk out there about Obama, and I don't care if you like him or not. But whoever started that rumor directly disrespected the Marine who I helped bury by insinuating that his Commander and Chief didn't give his condolences to his family.

Disgusting trying to use our fallen heroes for political purposes. This is a direct insult to the families of fallen Marines as far as I am concerned, and whoever started this rumor is despicable.

EastofWest18
10-02-11, 02:38 PM
Additionally this website's editor contacted the Army directly and: " A spokesperson for U.S. Army Public Affairs Department told TruthOrFiction.com that there has not been any official change in the protocol of presenting the flag to the family of a member of the military who has died. "

"On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and Corps." is what we say to the family of a Marine.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/military-protocols-funerals.htm

Old Marine
10-02-11, 02:48 PM
I would say that the majority of what we hear about the President on the internet is nothing more than a whole lot of BS.

jamielang1951
10-02-11, 03:23 PM
I would say that the majority of what we hear about the President on the internet is nothing more than a whole lot of BS.

After twelve years on the internet, I would say the majority of any rumors, or those "keep this e-mail going" is BS. Over the years I have received hundreds of those e-mails and it's a VERY rare occasion to find one that is true. It still amazes me that people fall for those. Especially the e-mail from a foreign country that wants help getting "millions" out of the country and wants your bank info to deposit it in and "give" you a percentage of it. That old adage is right, "a sucker is born every minuet".

FoxtrotOscar
10-02-11, 04:06 PM
Yes, it is true...!!!

The email is authentic and TruthOrFiction.com communicated with the writer, John G. Martich Weirton who said this happened at a Pittsburgh cemetery at the funeral of his uncle, U.S. Army Korean War Veteran Daniel Martich. A spokesperson for U.S. Army Public Affairs Department told TruthOrFiction.com that there has not been any official change in the protocol of presenting the flag to the family of a member of the military who has died.

Wierton said he was standing next to his aunt when the flag was presented to her. He also told us that he used to be employed in the funeral industry, had experienced past military services and was surprised by the variation from the script that he had heard during previous ceremonial handovers of the flag that draped the coffin.

Like Mr. Wierton, most people who have attended funerals of military personnel are accustomed to hearing a reference to the President during the presentation of the flag but that is because it's become a tradition to do so, not because it is a required part of official protocol.

The actual wording of the presentation of the flag, according to current U.S. Army regulation (https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/10879-1/fm/3-21.5/chap14.htm), is, "Sir/Ma'm, this flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation as an expression of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service rendered by your loved one."

We checked the web site (http://www.mfhcmdrs.osd.mil/mfhcr_edu_present.htm) for Military Funeral Honors Commander's Reference for Authorized Provided Partnership Program, which seems to indicate that the protocol has not changed. The site has scripts of "preferred wording" that vary by military branch and all include mention of the President:

Generally, after "Taps" is sounded, the flag is folded and presented to the appropriate family member.
Stand facing the flag recipient and hold the folded flag waist-high with the straight edge facing the recipient.
Kneel, on one knee, in front of the flag recipient and solemnly present the flag to the recipient.
Present the flag using the veteran's Service preferred wording:

Army:
On behalf of the President of the United States and the people of a grateful nation, may I present this flag as a token of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service your loved one rendered this nation.

Marine Corps:
On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and Corps.

Navy:
On behalf of the President of the United States and the Chief of Naval Operations, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to this Country and a grateful Navy
Air Force:
On behalf of the President of the United States, the Department of the Air Force, and a grateful nation, we offer this flag for the faithful and dedicated service of [Service member's rank and name]. (NOTE: If the next of kin has expressed a religious preference or belief, add: "God bless you and this family, and God bless the United States of America.")

Coast Guard:
On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Coast Guard, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and the Coast Guard.

rufus1
10-02-11, 05:29 PM
Do not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!

weapons124
10-02-11, 06:47 PM
Just did a funeral the other day, Nothing has changed.

Rooger
10-02-11, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the Info Marines, I thought We would have heard If it Changed.

249gunner
10-04-11, 05:21 PM
As a second generation Serbian-American who's heritage produced many patriotic military men and women who fought for freedom both in The United States as well as in the former Yugoslavia (most recently in Kosovo against the slaughter of Serbs by Muslim extremists) I implore you to make the American people aware of this little-known or, at least, publicly acknowledged fact."

I can see he has alot of reasons to hate Obama just based on ethnicity from this last paragraph. I can deal with Obama just not this Balkan bull**** and blatant hatred for Muslims in every circumstance.
Last time I checked the history books it was the Serbs who had an active three front genocide against Muslims.

FistFu68
10-04-11, 06:12 PM
:usmc: Only Known But To God :iwo: