PDA

View Full Version : Proud to be a Marine

pocatellodave
10-01-11, 09:02 AM
It has been a number of years since I became a Marine.Since January 23,1944 I have been a Marine.You see my last name is Marine.It was spelled Marin when my Grandfather emigrated to the United States from Sweden.He put an E on the end of Marin in the 1870's.
I became a Real Marine in 1962 at MCRD.I owe the Marine Corps a debt I can never repay!I was a smart azz punk when I arrived at San Diego,and I was headed for big trouble if I hadn't joined the Marines.I was taught many things by the Corps,and they have held me in good stead all my life.
A lot of things have changed since I joined the Corps.Dress shoes were dark brown.The boots were the old boon dockers,and were a hard to shine.There were still E-4 Sgts.as they didn't have crossed rifles.We marched different,and the marching cadence has changed.The D.I.'s could get away with stronger enforcement measures,as I think from what I have been seeing,they have been reined in a tad bit.There wasn't any Crucible,as the 13 weeks were a Crucible!
I will say this I'm very proud to have been a Marine since my birth,and long live the greatest fighting force in the world.
Semper Fi!

Cardboardbox
10-01-11, 04:43 PM
I want to hear some stories about what the Corps was like back then, boot camp and all. Semper Fi!

Ray Merrell
10-01-11, 05:54 PM
Dave, You are among many other very proud Marines,
and what a GREAT last name! How lucky can you get?

Gung Ho,

Ray.....1942-1945

Rocky C
10-01-11, 05:57 PM
Dave, You are among many other very proud Marines,
and what a GREAT last name! How lucky can you get?

Gung Ho,

Ray.....1942-1945

OUTSTANDING NAME !!! :thumbup:
Semper Fi Marine,
Rocky

SgtMcCrory
10-06-11, 06:50 AM
It has been a number of years since I became a Marine.Since January 23,1944 I have been a Marine.You see my last name is Marine.It was spelled Marin when my Grandfather emigrated to the United States from Sweden.He put an E on the end of Marin in the 1870's.
I became a Real Marine in 1962 at MCRD.I owe the Marine Corps a debt I can never repay!I was a smart azz punk when I arrived at San Diego,and I was headed for big trouble if I hadn't joined the Marines.I was taught many things by the Corps,and they have held me in good stead all my life.
A lot of things have changed since I joined the Corps.Dress shoes were dark brown.The boots were the old boon dockers,and were a hard to shine.There were still E-4 Sgts.as they didn't have crossed rifles.We marched different,and the marching cadence has changed.The D.I.'s could get away with stronger enforcement measures,as I think from what I have been seeing,they have been reined in a tad bit.There wasn't any Crucible,as the 13 weeks were a Crucible!
I will say this I'm very proud to have been a Marine since my birth,and long live the greatest fighting force in the world.
Semper Fi!

i know exactly how you feel. My whole outlook on life changed because of the corps.