<br />
Ethics and a Marine Corps Probe <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
By Matthew Dodd

thedrifter
10-31-03, 05:59 AM
My comments: A doctor, who never personally physically examined the victim, apparently had the major influence on the diagnosis of the victim’s condition. What makes that last sentence even more amazing and troubling to me is that Isaac’s doctors at his rehabilitation center in Atlanta “would not speculate on what they think happened at Parris Island.” I am guessing they would not speculate because they were too far removed from Isaac at the time of the accident, and that they did not actually examine Isaac in the precious moments immediately following the accident.

Based on the ethics checklist, I am not sure about the legal aspects of the diagnosis, but I am sure it did not foster any sort of win-win relationship between the command and Isaac’s family. Also, I would hope that seeing the diagnosis discussed in the public media causes the doctor and the command to be embarrassed, or at least cause them to reflect on what they did and did not do.

“[Malia] Isaac says investigators should have interviewed all of the doctors who cared for Josh, conducted detailed interviews with everyone who witnessed the incident and consulted with more than just one outside expert …. Malia is frustrated at the lack of information. She has been unable even to get a copy of the EMT’s report and the hospital records from when Josh was treated; she was told the records will be made available once the investigation is complete …. “They haven't kept me totally in the dark,” Malia said, adding they won't provide details. “I hate to be cynical and suspicious but I think there's something they’re not telling me.” … Officials confirmed that there was a report that Josh was struggling in the water and was denied a request to get out of the water, Malia said. Also, doctors who treated Josh indicated he was underwater for several minutes, not a few seconds as she was originally told.” -- The Citizen News.

My comments: Once again, I see an apparent disconnect between what the command was willing to accept and what the victim’s family expected. With the command and the family sharing similar concerns and interests with respect to the accident, I have to wonder why they have not partnered more to share information and minimize or prevent confusion, misunderstanding, and animosity.

According to the ethics checklist, I do not believe that there were any legal problems associated with this excerpt. The main problem is a repeat of what has plagued this story all along: a failure to look at the long-term effects on the relationship between the command and the Isaac family.

In terms of how this information would make the decision-makers feel, I am torn between two responses. On one hand, Malia Isaac’s opinions and assertions paint a less-than-flattering picture of the investigating officer and the command. If true, then I would not feel good about what was done. On the other hand, I can see that she does not have all the information and I believe that there is a distinct possibility that she may have gotten some information out of context. If that possibility is actually true, then I would not feel bad about what was done, but probably frustrated that certain facts were being misrepresented.

“I want someone to be accountable, to say ‘Hey, we screwed up ... and we’ll take care of Josh for the rest of his life.’ ” Malia said. -- The Citizen News.

My comments: This quote is very interesting. While I understand and empathize with her anger and frustration about what happened to her son, I do not like her total rush to judgment that somebody is responsible, out of negligence, for her son’s condition. From what I know about this accident, the only things so far that have been “screwed up” have been the Marine Corps’ handling of their initial insistence that Josh be sent to a VA hospital in Tampa, and the way that the investigation appears to have been handled (sloppy, incomplete, too slowly, and too indifferent to the interests of the Isaac family).

From my experience, military ethics is usually a very dry subject, and very often taken for granted. Those two facts are very unfortunate and reflect poorly on our military. While not everyone will agree with my comments and analysis, I hope that every military professional will take some time to reflect on the three ethics check questions and see how often they can apply to most, if not all, daily decisions and situations we face in and out of uniform.

A friendly word of warning to all those who will reflect as I recommended – those questions and your answers are much more difficult and challenging than they appear. At least they are for me.

For anyone interested, deposits to the Josh Isaac Fund to help the family with expenses related to his recovery can be made at any Bank of America branch. Information: 770-631-3200.

Lt. Col. Matthew Dodd USMC is a Senior Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mattdodd1775@hotmail.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=234&rnd=193.99384011709048

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: