PDA

View Full Version : "PC" in boot camp

That1guy221
09-27-11, 05:44 PM
I thought I'd address all the rumors about boot camp being PC and having less cursing etc. I don't know how it was 20 40 or 60 years ago, but It definitely is not PC now haha, I graduated a week ago and my DI's used f*ck every other word, kicked/punched/choked/tackled us on a daily basis (one person needed stitches in my platoon because he "fell"), and they constantly sit us down and explain to us how boot camp need that sort of treatment and we all respected and agreed with them. I don't know about other platoons but I'm pretty sure my platoon had it no different then anyone before us. (just an assumption though) Thanks for reading, input/comments are always welcome. :D

Moderboater
09-27-11, 05:51 PM
I thought I'd address all the rumors about boot camp being PC and having less cursing etc. I don't know how it was 20 40 or 60 years ago, but It definitely is not PC now haha, I graduated a week ago and my DI's used f*ck every other word, kicked/punched/choked/tackled us on a daily basis (one person needed stitches in my platoon because he "fell"), and they constantly sit us down and explain to us how boot camp need that sort of treatment and we all respected and agreed with them. I don't know about other platoons but I'm pretty sure my platoon had it no different then anyone before us. (just an assumption though) Thanks for reading, input/comments are always welcome. :D

Devilpup,

Why on earth would you post this in the open squad bay? The MOA is going to have a field day with this. Nice work.

That1guy221
09-27-11, 05:54 PM
Devilpup,

Why on earth would you post this in the open squad bay? The MOA is going to have a field day with this. Nice work.

Hmmm? Maybe I misinterpreted what open squadbay meant? I'll move the the thread, thanks.

Apache
09-27-11, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the good news
Sounds like the Corps is on track with making Marines.

Nobody promised a Rose Garden

thezero
09-27-11, 08:20 PM
Yet you guys don't know what a scuzz brush is? There are some things that are believable but DI's going that far could get them in a lot of trouble especially if they get that one little b*tch that cries to momma. Not to be a dick but seeing some of the guys at the school house here and the MCT kids at the exchange on New River for there family day it takes a lot not to go off on some of them.

EastofWest18
09-27-11, 09:47 PM
The only thing that I saw that was bad forced PC was at MCT. The 240B instructor taught us that he had a saying that we could use to determine our rate of fire... Run Fuzzy Bunny Run.

As soon as we got out of that class our instructors explained what the real saying was (Marines, I am sure you all know who is supposed to Die and what they did to someones mother) and that the instructor in question had gotten in trouble because a overly sensitive Marine complained on the MCT evaluation a few cycles before about the insinuation about mothers...

SGT7477
09-27-11, 10:22 PM
Maybe it should happen daily,Semper Fidelis.:D

SlingerDun
09-28-11, 12:02 AM
... kicked/punched/choked/tackled us on a daily basis (one person needed stitches in my platoon because he "fell"..You know that your DI's could get into deep deep career ending doo doo over that, with PC prevailing in the end. Is it worth spreading the scuttlebutt?

FaDeD
09-28-11, 08:56 AM
Yet you guys don't know what a scuzz brush is? There are some things that are believable but DI's going that far could get them in a lot of trouble especially if they get that one little b*tch that cries to momma. Not to be a dick but seeing some of the guys at the school house here and the MCT kids at the exchange on New River for there family day it takes a lot not to go off on some of them.

I do go off on them, I use to work on Geiger at SOI for abit and I would constantly blast boots for various reasons.

Tennessee Top
09-28-11, 09:50 AM
Happy to hear this.

When I was at PI in June, we sat in the bleachers on the grinder and watched a platoon close order drill. I knew instantly the DI's weren't happy campers because the guideon was furled. Sure enough, it didn't take long for the SDI to start dropping f-bombs left-and-right...brought a smile to my face.

When the platoon was dismissed, they had to jog passed us in single file to get to their gear staged behind the bleachers. Each one of them rendered us a verbal greeting as they passed by...very impressive.

It is mine and my niece's opinions the female platoons marched better and sounded-off louder than the male platoons. They demonstrated their saying of "the fewer, the prouder". We talked to one of the instructors at DI school and he said the female DI's are harder on their recruits than the male DI's are on theirs...and it shows. Dave, if you have the opportunity, see if you don't agree.

afraziaaaa
09-28-11, 10:48 AM

Coincidence that you went to MCRD San Diego? I think not. PI is where all that nonsense comes from. I have recruits coming back talking about how their DIs were lazy or didn't know how to do _____, or didn't teach them how to wear a certain uniform, blah blah blah.

I am from Oakland, CA and went to MCRD San Diego so this is definitely a biased opinion and should not be taken personally, but San Diego is where the real Marines are made! The east coast Marines are too focused on image in my opinion.

afraziaaaa
09-28-11, 11:03 AM
Afraziaaaa, do you believe those stories of how boot camp is easy?
I read that stuff and wonder what the Corps is coming to, seriously.
Then I read posts where DIs are still DIs and not personal training aides, and it makes me feel better, but where does the truth lie?

I just cannot believe that many here come back from boot camp saying it wasn't that bad----something's wrong with boot camp and the Marine Corps if that is the truth

And, I thought the training regimen was/is exactly the same at both MCRDs

I do believe them because they are not from every recruit. I also believe them because I look at the youngsters we recruit these days and I often find myself thinking "this kid has no spine, he will never make it", but most of them do. Long gone are the days of the Marine Corps taking America's dregs and turning them into America's finest! We are slowly morphing from a branch of roughneck degenerates into Marines with "morals". The thought makes me sick.

I also believe that DIs are still DIs for the most part. I think both sides are true. Ultimately, I am biased towards MCRD SD and want to bolster my own ego, lol. I really think that the reality lies in who we are recruiting now. It is different for the Marine Corps than it ever has been. We are incredibly selective. In the month of September my RSS had a quota of 2, for four recruiters! The way we are structed, we basically have to take the most qualified as per our manuals.

I also think the MCRD SD recruit's experience is different because there are no officers around during field training and no females around at all, which means DIs are more likely to be focused on the recruits (as opposed to their female counterparts) and a lot less likely to get in trouble. PI recruits do not have that "luxury". Same training, but slightly different environments.

But let's remember, this is all the opinion of a lowly SSgt, so take it for what it's worth which is about $.02.

afraziaaaa
09-28-11, 11:27 AM
Haha, I just try to remain humble. It is difficult to keep my oversized ego in check sometimes.

I only have 6 months left on recruiting duty, Dave. After that my posts will be more like "well when I was on recruiting duty, it was like this but now I don't know"!

Mongoose
09-28-11, 11:43 AM
Speaking of boot camp, heading to Orlando Friday morning by car, stopping at Parris Island on the way, my first visit since 1996. I went thru there in 1963. Even then, you would not have seen anything unusual with recruits and DIs "interacting" on a physical level, because all that was done behind closed doors.
So I don't expect to see anything outside but a lot of hollering and drilling. Will be good to visit there once again, and be able to leave when I want to :)
Last time a DI asked if I wanted to speak to the recruits, but I politely declined......
Evidently you didn't tell the DI you traded in your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor to send Air Force personal to jail for abusing typewriters and pencils.

afraziaaaa
09-28-11, 11:59 AM
Any idea where you'll be going, or no idea?

And the humility was not sincere, well, that's just like me---I'm very proud of my humility. LOL

Haha, yes. Humility and sincerity. Two of my biggest challenges in life.

I am transitioning out of the Corps. It has been a good 9 years, but it is time to move on!

chulaivet1966
09-28-11, 12:04 PM
We are slowly morphing from a branch of roughneck degenerates into Marines with "morals". The thought makes me sick.

Good one...at least your sense of humor is in tact.:D
Can't imagine telling someone boot was easy.
If your a SSarg and only are good for .02 cents worth I've wasted bandwidth with my worthless opinion.

Carry on....

bausmc87
09-28-11, 01:14 PM
Great news!!!

Congrats Marine. Be careful what you post. Loose lips sink ships and then we will not have anyone to give us a ride. :flag:

Sgt Jim
09-28-11, 01:48 PM
Wonder if they still have motivation platoon,I had some time there!!

That1guy221
09-28-11, 02:19 PM
Coincidence that you went to MCRD San Diego? I think not. PI is where all that nonsense comes from. I have recruits coming back talking about how their DIs were lazy or didn't know how to do _____, or didn't teach them how to wear a certain uniform, blah blah blah.

I am from Oakland, CA and went to MCRD San Diego so this is definitely a biased opinion and should not be taken personally, but San Diego is where the real Marines are made! The east coast Marines are too focused on image in my opinion.

Hahah oh man, my DI's made for damn sure you new how to wear every uniform. We didn't sleep until every single IP was cut, belt was 3 inches past the buckle (although regs for the web belt are 2-4in and 2 3/4-3 3/4in for the alpha belt), our gig lines were all perfect, our trousers were 1/4in above the well of the shoe with no more then one wrinkle at the ankle, our shooting badges were 1/8in above our left breast pocket and our ribbons 1/8in above them, everything was marked with marking tape except our coraframs which were marked with recruit tape, collar stays on our long sleeves, and no less then 4 shirt stays (garters).

bausmc87
09-28-11, 03:04 PM
Awesome! On grad day 19 dec 87 cold day at PI we had the wools on and one idiot had on his poly's and the DI's picked him out. There were 69 of us in our platoon. We were outside in formation getting ready to hit the parade deck and they dug him. They had him doing push ups, mountain climbers. (too slow, get up side straddle hops, still to slow more mountain climbers) The DI's had us (with permission of course) laughing like crazy. It was awesome. Glad to hear things have not changed.

thezero
09-28-11, 04:32 PM
I do go off on them, I use to work on Geiger at SOI for abit and I would constantly blast boots for various reasons.

Most of the time I see them I'm in civilian attire and am trying to relax and not draw too much attention but when I see one walking and playing/talking on the phone, dog tags hanging out, anything that's obvious I just let loose.

Marine1011
09-28-11, 05:01 PM
Another amatuer DI