PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from experianced Marines

Scarhead222
09-26-11, 08:55 PM
I'm fairly new to the Corps, little under a year. I've recently been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety disorder. My questions are; <br />
<br />
1: Will this separate me from the Corps? If so,...

Scarhead222
09-26-11, 09:07 PM
I should also add that this isn't me trying to get a ticket out of the Marine Corps. I want to stay in! I'm not a bag of ass either, I have good pros and cons, high PFT and CFT scores, and have graduated top of my classes. But I'm just wondering how this will affect my career if at all?

Zulu 36
09-26-11, 09:09 PM
1. Possibly it will. My guess is it would be a medical discharge under honorable conditions. Unless you've been acting up and getting yourself in trouble to warrant a General Discharge. They taught...

Scarhead222
09-26-11, 09:13 PM
I haven't been a troublemaker Sgt, and I don't want to get out, but I also don't want this affecting how I do my job or how it could affect my unit. I'd actually rather not share my situation online...

Scarhead222
09-26-11, 09:26 PM
Yes, I was prescribed medication by my civilian Dr. for it. So would this conflict with the military or can I stay in? I remember when I enlisted they talked about if you had ever been seen for...

Zulu 36
09-26-11, 09:28 PM
Then there isn't much we can do for you here. Nearly every Vietnam vet on this site has PTSD and the rest. Same with most of the Iraqi and Afghan vets. Most of us carry on to one degree or another. Some better than others. Some on meds, some not.

Seek therapy at your base. Sometimes you have to plain force yourself to get through the day, but that's what you have to do.

Are you on prescribed meds? If you just started them, it takes a few weeks for them to start kicking in. Don't self medicate (booze or drugs) - doesn't help and just makes things worse in the long run.

Phantom Blooper
09-26-11, 09:33 PM
Were you just given a diagnosis or is there other treatment involved? <br />
<br />
Are you on meds and seeing a psychotherapist? <br />
<br />
Who is giving you the information of discharge? <br />
<br />
Besides being a good...

Scarhead222
09-26-11, 09:42 PM
Let me suggest, also, that if you end up feeling uncomfortable here in the "open", literally in the Open Squad Bay, you can always continue this thread in Chesty's Hooch. Not suggesting that you do, but if you get to where you'd rather not talk quite so openly------
But we wish you the best of luck....you can talk about this stuff with any of us anytime....you know that, I hope
Yes sir, I surely do. Marines take care of our own. Thank you for all the advice and information.

DrZ
09-27-11, 07:54 AM
You have been in the Corps for 5 months so I take it you are in the fleet. You are from CA and stationed in CA. I know most new Marines feel somewhat out of it after boot, ITR (SOI now), and A school because they are used to being told what, when, and how. Once you get to the fleet... it is on you.

Since you have only been in 5 months...I don't see you having already been in combat...so the depression must be intrinsic to your personality from the start. You have some good suggestions here BUT I need to throw in something for consideration. You said you have been prescribed meds from a civilian doctor. If you are given a drug test.... are you going to pop hot since what you are taking is not in your medical records? Doing so will screw up many things for you. I suggest you get your butt to sick call and see a military doctor. Get things documented and have them assign you the drugs they may feel you need.

Work the issue before the issue works you.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

Tennessee Top
09-27-11, 09:22 AM
You have been in the Corps for 5 months so I take it you are in the fleet. You are from CA and stationed in CA. I know most new Marines feel somewhat out of it after boot, ITR (SOI now), and A school...

Cpl Heglar
09-27-11, 10:03 AM
Your in a very tough situation. You better get over to sick bay asap. Tell them your situation and let them prescribe you meds that you won't pop hot on. You can't take certain Meds and remain in the Corps. Military Drs. work around this Civilians don't big difference and big mistake to go civilian.

MOS4429
09-27-11, 11:56 AM
You have received good advice and counsel. I understand you are seeing a civilian doctor at present. Have you gone to sick bay at all? Are any in your unit aware of your condition? <br />
<br />
One very...