PDA

View Full Version : Combat Marksmanship Coach Course Help

EastofWest18
09-23-11, 09:28 AM
Good morning Marines,

I am waiting to hear back from my command on if I am going to get to go to a Combat Marksmanship Coach Course with an Active Duty unit through the reserves. Does anyone have info on this course? All I know is the gear list shows we are going to spend time with some firearms, but that's it. The course does warn that it is not a shooting school, but a school to teach how to become a CMC.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially from a Marine who went through the course in the last two years or so.

As a side note, I have been having a debate with another Marine in my unit about CMC authorized cover. I remember seeing an MCO stating that CMC get to wear the Pith Helmet while on the range, while my buddy says that they get to wear Campaign Covers. We both went back to Marines.mil but couldn't find the MCOs. Can an experienced Marine help with this debate?

Thanks,
EastofWest18

Apache
09-23-11, 10:29 AM
Is calling the school an option ?

EastofWest18
09-23-11, 11:59 AM
We were told not to contact the school house until we get final conformation that we are in (although I have been told that unless something really unforeseen happens I will be going)

thewookie
09-23-11, 12:03 PM
As a side note, I have been having a debate with another Marine in my unit about CMC authorized cover. I remember seeing an MCO stating that CMC get to wear the Pith Helmet while on the range, while my buddy says that they get to wear Campaign Covers. We both went back to Marines.mil but couldn't find the MCOs. Can an experienced Marine help with this debate?

Thanks,
EastofWest18

When I worked at Dam Neck, qualified range staff wore smokies or Campaign Covers - I still have mine mounted to a wall in my house. We also wore the smokies we we shot competitively as members of the BN shooting team -- USMC rifle teams were the original wearers of the smoky. The Marines who were TAD to our range working as PMI's - wore pith helmets. That is/was usually the case. When Marines graduated from the PMI school we put on back then, we issued them pith helmets. I do believe their is a MCO that will clarify that, but don't quote me on it.

thewookie
09-23-11, 12:04 PM
We were told not to contact the school house until we get final conformation that we are in (although I have been told that unless something really unforeseen happens I will be going)

Where is the schoolhouse? Which one?

EastofWest18
09-23-11, 12:23 PM
PM Sent The Wookie regarding which school house.

And thanks for the Cover clarification. My buddy wants to be a DI after this contract is up... so I guess he is going to be really happy to hear he might get to wear one!

thewookie
09-23-11, 12:33 PM
PM Sent The Wookie regarding which school house.

And thanks for the Cover clarification. My buddy wants to be a DI after this contract is up... so I guess he is going to be really happy to hear he might get to wear one!

Right back at you with the PM.

The smokies are cool, but they are heavy, don't breath well, expensive to replace (had to replace one of mine due to seagull ****, that sucked, bird got me right as I was teaching range school) and at the end of the day you end up with a nice red line around your forehead from the weight...

I used to take mine off when i was working with young shooters/trouble shooters on the line because I swear some of them new Marines would see that cover and get flashbacks from bootcamp and stop listening to me... :evilgrin: haha

have fun

FaDeD
09-28-11, 08:54 AM
You dont wear a campaign cover anymore, I work at WTBN on Stone Bay and we wear Safari Covers with black egas for coaches and safari covers with gold egas for the 0931's

EastofWest18
09-28-11, 11:05 AM
Thanks Marines,

The class that I wanted to get into was full. I am trying to find room in another one later this year.

artymarine
09-28-11, 01:53 PM
Pardon me, probably showing my age....what the hell is a safari cover?

''How great it was to be a U.S. Marine''......Ted Williams last to hit 400 for the season

thewookie
09-28-11, 02:02 PM
Pardon me, probably showing my age....what the hell is a safari cover?

''How great it was to be a U.S. Marine''......Ted Williams last to hit 400 for the season

A pith helmet. :usmc:

AlohaBirk
09-29-11, 12:09 PM
When I was a Marksman Coach from 1999-2002 in the fleet, all we wore on the range was your normal Cammie cover with white tape around the sweat band area. That defined you was range personal.

lac1881
11-17-11, 02:27 AM
I am currently a Combat Marksmanship Coach and we wear white Pith helmets. The school has homework and tests that you must do, and it is a lot of "death by powerpoint." The coarse is about two and a half weeks long. If you have not qualified with the M16A4 or the M4 for the fiscal year then you must qualify during the coarse. You also qualify on the M9 Beretta, which you must qual on with a 245 Marksman. The coarse is definitely worth it, you want to be a coach.