PDA

View Full Version : Question.

firstsgtmike
10-30-03, 08:45 AM
I have posed this question several times over the years, in multiple forums, and have NEVER received a satisfactory answer.

In Saigon, and to a much lesser extent in Da Nang, there were areas that had been taken over by U.S. deserters and drugees. These were areas where the M.P.s chose NOT to enter.

My question was/is; Are those deserters and drugees who chose not to leave on the last helo lifts out of the Embassy listed as MIA's/POW's? Are they part of the list we hold the present Vietnamese government accountable for? Do we REALLY want to find them?

I have received input from truck drivers who were there at the time. Scarecrows, who had run out of money and/or information and were left with only a habit, were dumped on the side of the road for someone to pick up and take to the MP's.

And then we left. What happened to the rest of them?

BIGFISH
02-24-04, 08:34 PM
I had person that I knew, that went over to the other side, he use to bring me weapons ak-47 sometime , he would just snow up. I heard later that he got killed by a team of people that went after these people. Don't know if it was CIA, or what .

usmc4669
02-24-04, 08:59 PM
I Wonder if the goverment has names of deserters. They shouln't be listed as MIA's/or POW"S.

reddog4950
02-25-04, 06:52 PM
My question was/is; Are those deserters and drugees who chose not to leave on the last helo lifts out of the Embassy listed as MIA's/POW's? Are they part of the list we hold the present Vietnamese government accountable for? Do we REALLY want to find them?

Not me per say, but perhaps their families would. In the time I was over in the Nam I never encountered a "hard core" druggie
or a deserter. I was up north more and also by An - Hoa in 69-70
time frame.
S.F. Reddog4950