PDA

View Full Version : Buddy System

PooleeZackBrown
09-22-11, 09:02 PM
Afternoon Marines and fellow poolees,
Me and my buddy are interested in getting into the buddy system. We are wondering what mos would be the best chance and the best opportunity for the both of us to have a successful career together. We are considering Recon, but are open to any suggestions.
Thanks.
Poolee Brown

Lisa 23
09-22-11, 09:15 PM
Just curious, have you and your buddy talked with a recruiter, gone through the whole ASVAB and MEPS process yet?

PooleeZackBrown
09-22-11, 09:18 PM
Just curious, have you and your buddy talked with a recruiter, gone through the whole ASVAB and MEPS process yet?
Yes, I am currently in the DEP, just waiting on my leave date, going to pool functions and such. He is currently in the process of joining up. I plan on asking my recruiter about the job situation, but he is currently on leave this week.

Lisa 23
09-22-11, 09:23 PM
There are a couple of recruiters who frequent Leatherneck from time to time, maybe when one them see this topic, they'll be able to help you out.

Omegaham
09-22-11, 09:33 PM
Hey Zack,

The Buddy Program is technically only for boot camp. Basically, you guys will get assigned to the same boot camp platoon. The DIs tend to be uncaring about the program once you're IN the platoon, though. "But sir, he's my buddy" is an easy in for the DI to make a gay joke or twelve.

Once you graduate from boot, if you have the same MOS, you'll go to the same MOS school and probably be in the same class together. After that, though, you're on your own.

Now - if you go Recon, the amount of duty stations is a lot smaller than, say, admin... so if you both ask for the same duty station, they might put you together. No certainties, though.

PooleeZackBrown
09-22-11, 09:47 PM
To the both of you, thank you so much.

MOS4429
09-23-11, 12:26 PM
Once you graduate from boot, if you have the same MOS, you'll go to the same MOS school and probably be in the same class together. After that, though, you're on your own.

Adding to that, that is exactly what took place to my brother, went buddy 03xx with a friend, attended boot camp together (did not announce they were buddy system for reasons already mentioned), went to MOS school at Pendleton. Then my brother went to Virginia for embassy and his friend went to Okinawa.