PDA

View Full Version : Divorce / Custody Problem

CplQuick
09-20-11, 03:17 PM
Hello Marines,

I have been separated from the Corps since last year. My wife and I divorced while I was still Active due to some anger and drinking problems on my part which I have been seeking help for.. We also have a son together. At the time of our divorce she had sole custody and I had been trying to get at least joint custody of our son. However she has since taken our son back to Italy where she is from originally and I have no idea how I can get him back. She has filed for sole custody in an Italian court, and they granted it to her. She also has gotten our son an Italian passport and he has been granted Italian citizenship.

He is still a US citizen since he was born in the US, and I have to spoken to a lawyer here in Michigan recently. He said that this is a highly complicated case and that it may have to be dealt with in an Italian court, yet he also said that courts in Italy do not generally look favorably on non-Italian citizens when it involves a child, especially if the father is or was a member of the US Armed Forces. I just don't think this lawyer is willing to take the case on since he'll probably lose.

I have thought about going to Italy to try and get him, but the lawyer has advised me that this is definitely not advisable since it would not look favorable in the courts there by trying to take my son out of Italy. I contacted the US Embassy in Rome and the US Consulate in Florence. I also contacted the Italian Embassy in Washington too. They don't seem willing to help, saying the case needs to simply work its way through the courts. The Italian Embassy was the worst and the lady who worked there I spoke with near enough laughed at me over the phone and said as far as the Italian government is concerned, my son is an Italian citizen and that takes precedence over anything, and that I essentially have no rights to him in Italy, since I'm divorced from my wife now. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to fight this case as long as possible to at least get joint custody or get my son back to the US. Has anyone else had a problem like this before, and any advice or anything? Thanks.

Semper Fi,
Cpl Quick.

CplQuick
09-20-11, 07:38 PM
Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it tremendously.

Semper Fi,
Cpl. Quick.

Vandrel
09-20-11, 08:03 PM
Sorry for your situation brother. I wish you the best.

FistFu68
09-20-11, 08:54 PM
:evilgrin: Contact The Vatican through a Bishop in the USA,I'm not pulling Your Leg;I helped get a Friend's Uncle's Remain's back that Was Killed in WW11.The Italian Govt.posed a Huge stumbling Block,So when The Vatican got envolved it Put alot of Political Pressure on them!!!Do not ever give Up on Your Son,do not do anything Illegal,Beat them at their own game;no matter How Long it take's.You fight Fire with Fire,GoodLuck and I'll be Praying For You and You'r Son.Semper Fidelis :iwo:

MGySgtSki
09-21-11, 04:39 AM
Fist, not trying to minimize what you're saying, but would the Vatican really want to help in this situation? Seeing as how the Catholic church really frowns upon divorce?

FistFu68
09-21-11, 08:34 AM
:evilgrin: Good Point MasterGunnerySgt...of Marines,thought the Marines Wife just up and Left tha Cpl.Hanging!!!Yeah they probably would Frown upon it.Hope it still work's out for Him and His Son...Semper Fidelis :thumbup: :iwo:

ChuckH
09-21-11, 09:02 AM
Google David Goldman and his son Sean from New Jersey and see what he went thru.
His wife did the same thing only took the kid to Brazil.

CplQuick
09-22-11, 12:28 AM
Google David Goldman and his son Sean from New Jersey and see what he went thru.
His wife did the same thing only took the kid to Brazil.

Haven't had time to check the internet today. Been working a lot. I will definitely look that up though. Thanks.

Semper Fidelis,
Cpl Quick.

ChuckH
09-22-11, 07:56 AM
Haven't had time to check the internet today. Been working a lot. I will definitely look that up though. Thanks.

Semper Fidelis,
Cpl Quick.

You never know, maybe you can somehow reach out to him and get the name of his lawyer.