PDA

View Full Version : Options for my new Marine Reservist

MarineDad75078
09-19-11, 10:32 PM
Actually a couple of questions but first, please accept my apology if I use improper lingo or refer to/provide info that is inapppropriate. The Marines are new to me.

My son graduated from MCRD San Diego in July (Platoon 2167!!!! proudest day of my life btw) and then went to MCT right about the first of August. He is currently in his MOS school at 29 Palms. He is slated to be a Reservist (at least last I knew) once he gets done with MOS.

The first question I have is regarding his MOS. He scored off the charts on his AFVAB despite being a marginal student. His recruiter indicated his initial MOS was inappropriate for his score and they decided on Intel. Intel what, I do not know as he said he could not provide details. I just know he was originally slated to go to Pensacola after MCT. Shortly after MCT, he is informed he did not pass "security clearance" for his MOS. He shrugged it off, citing as a Reservist, his civilian employment options would be better with his new MOS training. But I am curious...what would cause something like that? Poor grades? His mother and I being split? A banko we filed 15 years ago? Loose lips? Reserve vs. Active? Not the real reason for posting, more of a curiosity.

Anyway, he is now at 29 Palms with a new MOS in fixed wing avionics. He signed up in Colorado but is considering moving to the Texas region but he says he is "committed" to Colorado. I honestly do not know of a Marine base in Colorado, let alone one with aircraft. He said he would be at Buckley each month, but it just seems like the Air Force has the only presence there. Down here there is the NAS Joint Reserve Base reportedly with Marine F-18 and C-130 aircraft (per Google of the base anyway). I have read other threads which say he is committed until at least after MOS (which is supposed to take over a year). With a MOS like his, being a Reservist, is this a move "the brass" would even consider? Seems to make sense to me, despite being partial to him being closer. Also, the Lockheed/Air Force Assembly Plant 4 is located there so there would be potential for picking up work either there or in the region with his MOS training.

Anyway, thanks for any input you can provide. He seems to be exhausted every time we talk with his training and school and the last thing he needs from his old man is a bunch of questions.