PDA

View Full Version : War Stories From the Philippines 1980-1990s

vets rep
09-19-11, 05:16 PM
Hey Devil Dogs--

Did any of you serve in the Philippines during the 1980s? I'm interested in hearing your war stories.

I've been doing research on the United States Military involvement in the Philippines for a project I am working on. During the 1980s, various separatist groups (communist and muslim) in the phillipines attacked U.S. service members. My research indicates that approximately 8 service members were killed as the result of assassinations and/or attacks.

In the late 1980s, President Bush authorized the use of Air support to help the Philippine president squash an attempted military coup.

I have heard stories from a devil dog who served in the philippines during the 1980s and he had some stories about seeing certain atrocities (i.e., villagers being killed by the NPA).

I have no reason to doubt the marine's story, however, I cannot find any specific evidence as to USMC involvement in the philippines, to the extent that he describes.

Do any of you have any war stories? or have any of you served in the philippines during the 1980s? Can you tell me your stories?

Thanks a ton!

vets rep
09-19-11, 05:21 PM
Just to clarify, The NPA is the New People's Army --
I have found a ton of research and news articles that verify that the NPA committed atrocities during the 1980s. However, I can't find a single thing on anything that links the USMC and the NPA in anyway.

dalewick
10-06-13, 01:20 AM
I was in the Army and did 4 rotations in PI during the 80's. The Marines have told you the truth but due to the politics of the time, you will find NO information. The PI was great, but many bad things happened. Please quit asking and seeking. Some don't want to remember and the world doesn't want to know. My brother was a Marine and I won't talk to him about many things that happened and my wife asked me to burn my records so my children would never read about that time. Have a good life and good luck.

doc h fmf
10-06-13, 07:30 AM
I was a Navy Corpsman with H$S Company 3rd BN 8th MAR in 1987> We were deployed from Okinawa for 3 months. I was Duty Corpsman at the BAS one nite when I heard a banging at the door, it was a Captain from the Phillipeano Army. He showed me syringes and asked me do we have these kind,asked to name people I give them to. Or I was going to jail for giving drug paraphnalial away. I called my CPO and MO., It was my MO who bailed me out otherwise I could have done 3-5 year for giving away drug Paraphnailia