PDA

View Full Version : Site Suggestions

Shaffer
09-18-11, 10:47 AM
A new forum has been setup for members to make suggestions on how to improve Leatherneck.com. Please post and elaborate your ideas here.

Serious suggestions only please. Any foolish posts will be deleted and the user banned from this forum.

m14ed
09-18-11, 12:19 PM
Easy to ask.,,, Might not be so easy to do though.

a built in function to REQUIRE *Fields on profile (to be filled in )before FNG's can move forward towards posting (reguardless of type of profile background).

that in its-self would probibly cut down 99% of the gripe most of what i read on
site newbies violate.
reguardless of poolee, family, friend , or Marine.

jamielang1951
09-18-11, 12:51 PM
Will all the old threads be migrated, just the newest ones or none. I spend a huge amount of time searching for the best videos and would like to know if I need to go back and save the best ones URL (Uniform Resource Locator).

Thanks.:beer:

Rocky C
09-18-11, 03:25 PM
I think a Great Idea Jerry would be to offer a " Life Member " option so we wouldn't have to remember to re-up every year.

Just like DAV memberships.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Apache
09-18-11, 03:33 PM
Concur with m 14 ed

Similar to a lot of other sites
The registration will not progress unless required fields are completed.
I'm not the site set up whiz--- seems easy enough.

Zulu 36
09-18-11, 04:28 PM
I also concur with m14ed.

My suggested required profile items are:

First name (Initial OK)
Last name
Rank at discharge from the Corps
City/State of current residence (just state OK, I think)
Boot Camp location
Platoon number
Graduation date
Year entered Corps
Year left Corps
Duty stations (just bases OK, but units also preferred)

Ship date for poolees
Recruiter's name for poolees
Recruiter's phone number for poolees

Anything else can be totally optional.

Allow any tasteful avatar for all members.

DanM
09-18-11, 04:55 PM
Profile info is just non verified items,the "required" items can be found anywhere on the net.There are more than a few from TL who admit to multiple false member names and info.

sparkie
09-18-11, 07:16 PM
I think I'm afraid to post here. But you know, we don't have to worry about talking to a lot of non Marine posers 'round here. That has been sucessful. I might like to see more local renunions. little ones. just among us. Just gettin together among brothers.
Can Leatherneck make that kinda arrangement/thread? Could some stick to that?

Hammer3
09-18-11, 07:52 PM
This may be on the site and I just haven't found it yet, and if it is please send me a PM telling me where to find it and I will stand corrected.

I belong to a site re; SOCNET, and as you would imagine we experience POSERS who claim to be or have been special operators. These folks are vetted by a group of people who use available resources if a POSER is suspected.

I don't know if this type of vetting system is in place on this site. If not, why not?

DanM
09-18-11, 08:07 PM
It's not,SOCNET is young.Think about the numbers of Marines since 1940 and you will know why a vetting system is not here.

jamielang1951
09-18-11, 08:44 PM
I believe a few minuets one on one in chat would quickly expose a poser. Say for instance someone claims to be a Vietnam Vet. A few Vietnamese words or Americanize Vietnamese words would expose him. Like the word Doc use in a post the other day, COM SA, I immediately knew what it meant. Or Chieu Hoi, dinky dau, didi, didi Mau, words that I will remember till the day I die.

Sergeant M
09-18-11, 09:33 PM
Similar to online gaming: Have a system that allows a certain percentage of people in the chatroom to ban someone for a limited period of time. 1 Person requests to kick, and the other members get a notification "Would you like to kick 'Username' from chat?" If a certain percentage of people in the chat room click yes, then the user is banned from chat for 1 hour.

Quinbo
09-18-11, 10:19 PM
A daily listing of new joins could be helpful with the profile issue. Current members could look at new joins profiles and offer to assist them in setting up their profile if warrented. Force everyone who lists their status as Marine to fill in a few things in thier profile and give them a grace period of say a week to get it done posting privilages begin when a few required fields are filled in. Set it so they can view but not post or reply until this has been accomplished.

Set up a terms and conditions of use page (not a sticky) and make all new members read and acknowlege that they have done same by checking a box and clicking a submit button.

Take away the optional visitor message in profile set up. Make everyone allow it. Right now members who do allow visitor messages get notified when they get a new one and can opt to leave it there for all to see or delete it. That is a good thing that all members should have.

The distance between the period and the beginning of the next sentence is two spaces not one. If you are using a replace string function to remove extra spaces from within a sentence it could easilly be modified to recognize a period, exclamation point and question mark followed by two spaces and not apply formatting.

Other military websites are not competing with this one for buisness nor are they stealing buisness from this site. It is very possible to belong to more than one forum. Take the other forums out of the filter.

Revamp the credits thing or get rid of it.

A time limit on editing is a good thing but I think the current limit is too short.

gina
09-18-11, 10:24 PM
The ability to give a post a oohrah without commenting!

SlingerDun
09-18-11, 11:02 PM
editing deadline beyond 5 minutes...

jamielang1951
09-19-11, 09:06 AM
I was just saying that if we had someone who seemed to be a poser it should be handled in house. Someone could invite them into chat for a one on one chance to prove themselves. But it would still be that person's opinion. There's nothing I would hate more than accusing a Marine of posing. What's that old adage, "It's better that ten posers go free than one innocent Marine to be wrongly accused".
It's a tough problem with no easy answers.

(http://www.independent.co.uk/)

03Foxtrot
09-19-11, 04:00 PM
As others have suggested, and some volunteered for such duty, more moderators or those in a position of trust and confidence that can offer valuable assistance when needed and also, help with the policing of this site. I assume the site owner can easily identify several on here who are both qualified and beyond a doubt a real attribute to this site. I believe that the continued insistence on people fillng out a profile quickly before they are even talked to by some members is not only often premature but is usually taken as a very unfriendly welcome by new members. To penalize all for the actions of some who wish this site and many members harm or disrespect is in my opinion doing more harm than good. I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. But all of us know that facts can be easily discovered and dates and incidents can be interchanged so it is not that difficult to assume a false persona on a public internet site. I still believe that it is the purpose and intentions revealed by the words and comments and actions of a poster that will ultimately identify them for what they really are, genuine or otherwise. There are times that I find myself uneasy on a site that seems to condone so much animosity and confrontation on a regular basis. I may be in a minority, but my opinion and viewpoint has merit I think. Civility can also be a trait that Marines are proud of, in addition to personal integrity and courage, a certain independence and well-earned arrogance that most of us from long ago still possess, and I'm sure the current generation also claims. The wars may change but certain attributes will always remain the same. In my opinion, the actions and courage of Corporal Dakota Meyer, back in 2009 in Afghanistan, and recently awarded the Medal of Honor and the actions that Marines displayed back in the war I participated in, Viet-Nam, show that we still share the core values that distinguish us from others. We are still in good hands. They still make Marines out of civilians at Parris Island and San Diego and I believe that the honor and loyalty and courage that we possess in abundance needs to be more on display here.
Semper Fidelis, Scott

Hammer3
09-19-11, 04:51 PM
03 Foxtrot posted:

I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. But all of us know that facts can be easily discovered and dates and incidents can be interchanged so it is not that difficult to assume a false persona on a public Internet site.

I agree with Foxtrot. There should be a vetting system put into place. There are too many resources that will help you verify if a person is whom they say they are. There have been several "Marines" whom I have mentally questioned in my short period as a member on this board. Is vetting always 100% correct? No, and neither is the lie detector or truth serum, but it will eliminate some of the doubt.

The recent exposure of the fake Marine Colonel in Jacksonville, North Carolina speaks to my point. Nothing would have been done unless other Marines had not called into question his authenticity.

I disagree with the old adage that Jamielang referenced re; "It's better that ten posers go free than one innocent Marine to be wrongly accused".

I would hate that too, however, by establishing a vetting system, the authentic Marine can prove his authenticity; whereas a Poser, can't, if the correct system with checks and balances are put into place.

I am a Judge Advocate for a Marine Corps League, and there are checks and balances put into place. Just my thoughts.

Apache
09-19-11, 06:27 PM
Opinions ? Applicability for Leatherneck ?

TRICARE | Military Pay | Discounts | GI Bill Calculator | Military Transition
New Website for Kentucky Veterans
Week of September 19, 2011
A new website provides information about Kentucky veterans' events and*also offers a place to send messages to people living in the state's three veterans' nursing homes. The new 11-11-11*website*includes personal stories from Kentuckians who served in the military, and visitors can add events planned in their own communities to honor veterans.
For more on veteran benefits, visit the ************* Benefits Center.

m14ed
09-20-11, 03:01 AM
I believe that the continued insistence on people fillng out a profile quickly before they are even talked to by some members is not only often premature but is usually taken as a very unfriendly welcome by new members.

To penalize all for the actions of some who wish this site and many members harm or disrespect is in my opinion doing more harm than good.

I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. There are times that I find myself uneasy on a site that seems to condone so much animosity and confrontation on a regular basis. I may be in a minority, but my opinion and viewpoint has merit I think. Civility can also be a trait that Marines are proud of, in addition to personal integrity and courage, a certain independence and well-earned arrogance that most of us from long ago still possess, and I'm sure the current generation also claims.
Semper Fidelis, Scott

It isnt about penaltys, its a problem with posting on forums is the only thing i was mentioning.
THE ABILITY TO ("POST")

anyone who enters leatherneck chat on an (empty profile) ,is at least asked ,and given the (option for help) everytime i have been there on those occasions.

FistFu68
09-20-11, 08:22 AM
:evilgrin: Yo BOSS (AKA.Mr.Shaffer) what about a Jutebox kinda thingy were Marines and Devil Doc's can have One of their All time Favorite Jam's on it only 1 per Member? Just a thought :beer::iwo:

MOS4429
09-20-11, 11:37 AM
More moderators.

I think the vetting out process works fairly well. There have been a number of posers since I joined this site, and it become obvious fairly rapidly, the person is reported to Lep and they are gone.

If someone wants to come on here and lie about their service and inflate their time in the Corps...well, the one they are damagine the most is themself.

linda1945
09-20-11, 03:12 PM
More moderators.

I think the vetting out process works fairly well. There have been a number of posers since I joined this site, and it become obvious fairly rapidly, the person is reported to Lep and they are gone.

If someone wants to come on here and lie about their service and inflate their time in the Corps...well, the one they are damagine the most is themself.

:thumbup:

m14ed
09-21-11, 05:46 AM
take a moment to consider ,

a searchable data base here of our names, units, dates of service, units , etc..

that was a feature on an old site "TheFew dot COM" before it namechanged into
Military Dot COM..

the feature was quite handy for looking for Old Friends and Unit/platoon buddies

members could OPT out of the data base i guess.
some of us dont have a problem with it.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-22-11, 10:15 PM
Some good ideas. Keep 'em comin!

My 2 cents:

1: Nobody gets to post until the profile is completed. HOWever, I feel no need for MARINES to give last names, ESP. those on active or reserve duty. OPSEC and common sense should prevail here. At least, for public consumption as far as the last names go, anyway. This is something I believe we ARE, in fact, going to implement. This is why we are looking for more moderators, because quite frankly, vetting and dealing with profiles will be (if we go this route) a long, daily, task.

2: Vetting: Yes, I think, along the SOCNET lines, that those who make claims of being Marines without documentation, and ESP. those who claim Purple Hearts or 'V' for valor awards, should in fact be checked out. Valor awards nowadays are pretty easy to do. That is not to say that every single Marine signing up gets 'vetted', but there certainly should be some sort of 'filter' (i.e. a knowledgeable moderator or two) to do this. I feel rather certain I'd be one of those, and if on that particular detail, I'd probably pick some of you *ahem* older Marines from Vietnam, Korea, and WWII to assist me with this, as there are things YOU know details of that I would not.

3: The problems in 'chat' would be solved by the above.

I'm sure there are some more that will come up, but those are the ones I'd go for.

Vandrel
09-22-11, 11:05 PM
Multiple account detection, if it's not already added. Sent the details to Lep.

I'm tired of seeing banned people come back with new accounts every week just to plaster their pro-gay agenda all over this place.

Oh, and what happened to signatures? It seems as if they all up and ran off. Hard for me to tell who's who now as signature lines were the easiest way to do so for me.

linda1945
09-23-11, 12:20 AM
It's the poolees, Marine friends and family, etc. that come on here and talk as if they own the site and try to tell us what to do or say. In other words try to boss us around. They need to have a section all to themselves. How about making an age limit to how young a person can be on here; 16 and younger is too young to be on here!! Enforce the school regulations more, which haven't been doing that for a long time. I could go on and on, but I'll just quit here.

DanM
09-23-11, 12:35 AM
Multiple account detection, if it's not already added. Sent the details to Lep.

I'm tired of seeing banned people come back with new accounts every week just to plaster their pro-gay agenda all over this place.

Oh, and what happened to signatures? It seems as if they all up and ran off. Hard for me to tell who's who now as signature lines were the easiest way to do so for me.

I could make a hundred accounts and have them banned,then make another hundred the next day.You can ban IP addresses,but if they are coming from a military base you would then deny access to many who do not deserve a blocked IP.

The signature "problem" has been addressed by Shaffer in another thread in the forums.

DanM
09-23-11, 12:54 AM
Found it......................

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105920&highlight=signatures

linda1945
09-23-11, 01:11 AM
How about putting some WM moderators in there also? More than 2 if you can get them.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-11, 01:24 AM
Linda did you apply?

linda1945
09-23-11, 01:27 AM
Linda did you apply?

No I didn't apply! I was just suggesting things. Hope I didn't say anything wrong.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-11, 01:30 AM
Nope. You didn't...but you SHOULD apply! No kidding.

m14ed
09-23-11, 01:50 AM
Consider ( a HELP section-page-thingamajiggy- )

Where technical issues of # posting #photos,# linking,# general technical questions that (less technically adept oldfarts-computer semi illeterates) would be able to read about it on "how to " or ask "and answer"..

I realize , you're asking for improvements,, what way to make a site better , than to educate your users ??? Brings out the best of Marines, passing something on to another Marine...

Rocky C
09-23-11, 05:14 AM

My 2 cents:

1: Nobody gets to post until the profile is completed. HOWever, I feel no need for MARINES to give last names, ESP. those on active or reserve duty. OPSEC and common sense should prevail here. At least, for public consumption as far as the last names go, anyway. This is something I believe we ARE, in fact, going to implement. This is why we are looking for more moderators, because quite frankly, vetting and dealing with profiles will be (if we go this route) a long, daily, task.

2: Vetting: Yes, I think, along the SOCNET lines, that those who make claims of being Marines without documentation, and ESP. those who claim Purple Hearts or 'V' for valor awards, should in fact be checked out. Valor awards nowadays are pretty easy to do. That is not to say that every single Marine signing up gets 'vetted', but there certainly should be some sort of 'filter' (i.e. a knowledgeable moderator or two) to do this. I feel rather certain I'd be one of those, and if on that particular detail, I'd probably pick some of you *ahem* older Marines from Vietnam, Korea, and WWII to assist me with this, as there are things YOU know details of that I would not.

I'm sure there are some more that will come up, but those are the ones I'd go for.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hammer3
09-23-11, 06:51 AM

My 2 cents:

I agree with what you've said Lep. Hope these get implemented. among other things that has been suggested.

I would also suggest that the application process for being qualified to apply for volunteering on the forum be explained. I could imagine the reaction of Chesty Puller, or someone I know quite well re; Al Gray, were to receive a pop-up saying that because they hadn't been on the forum long enough to apply. I would "flesh out" the qualifications and duties of a moderator; etc;. It would help prevent some folks that are not qualified from applying, and wasting the time of the folks who make the decisions. Just my opinion.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-11, 07:55 PM
That's a really good point, Hammer. Part of that is the 'internal' vetting process, basically being here long enough to show you are a 'regular'.

Of course, not EVERYone has the particular temperment to BE a 'mod', either. I know some fine folks here...but not all of them should be mods, either.

Phantom Blooper
09-23-11, 08:01 PM
Of course, not EVERYone has the particular temperment to BE a 'mod', either. I know some fine folks here...but not all of them should be mods, either.

See that's what I been tryin' to say...FABULOUS folks....just don't need to moderate...talk about hazin'....some FABULOUS folks would have to haze and ban themselves daily....!:beer:

jamielang1951
09-24-11, 02:08 PM
Consider ( a HELP section-page-thingamajiggy- )

Where technical issues of # posting #photos,# linking,# general technical questions that (less technically adept oldfarts-computer semi illeterates) would be able to read about it on "how to " or ask "and answer"..

I realize , you're asking for improvements,, what way to make a site better , than to educate your users ??? Brings out the best of Marines, passing something on to another Marine...

I've created a 'help section" like that a few years back on a site I helped moderate. I posted a lot of tips about the internet, internet security, and "how to" threads. I also did some tutorials on Windows. The problem with that is people have different versions. But XP and Vista are basically very similar with a few exceptions. I have no experience with Windows 7, but I understand its similar to Vista without all the bugs, a new media center, and touch screen support.
I found the best way for the "how to" is do a step by step using screen shots. It's a lot easier to understand if a person can see the steps. I've been wanting to do a thread here for awhile. The problem is in adding several step by step image codes. Most of the time, even when I try to post only one or two, it tells me I have five or six, or it will show the image codes in the preview as text and not the image. After restarting the post a few times, then it finally allows me. I do have an Windows XP Bible that has all the basics that I can start posting.

I'm far from an expert, but have the basic's down pat. That's taken me years of trial and error,,, mostly error.:bunny:

jamielang1951
09-24-11, 02:22 PM
See that's what I been tryin' to say...FABULOUS folks....just don't need to moderate...talk about hazin'....some FABULOUS folks would have to haze and ban themselves daily....!:beer:

Sometimes it does take the temperament and patience of Jesus Christ when you want to verbally wring some smart azz neck. Best to walk away and cool off before banging on the keyboard.
Much easier said than done for me.:bunny:

Tennessee Top
09-24-11, 05:11 PM
Bring back the poolee forums. Why did they go away?

Apache
09-24-11, 06:17 PM
Jamielang
WOW!
As you said. Old Farts knowledge level
I represent that remark !

I understood what you referee to as screen shots----

Thanks for your efforts to Keep It Simple

I know where I fall in the compentcy scale-----

Riven37
12-04-11, 07:13 AM
Idea (s)

You could appoint one senior member to be the site DI for all newbie’s to help them fill out profile, see if they are on the up and up before problems begin, and to verse them in all the do’s and don’t before the newbie post on the boards. I think this will help to give a newbie a better sense of how the boards work. However, it must be done with respect, you may be talking for a highly decorated veteran or to someone’s parents.

sparkie
12-04-11, 08:41 AM
That's a really good point, Hammer. Part of that is the 'internal' vetting process, basically being here long enough to show you are a 'regular'.

Talkin 'bout me again, Lep.:beer:

sparkie
12-04-11, 09:03 AM
I just had an issue with the site. No big deal, I guess, but I just got 2 letters from boot and these kids don't print too well. I've been trying to look them up by their screen name so I can get a good spelling on their last names. Searching thru the 1 billion names is a,,,,well you know. Too bad there isn't a type in search box. Just sayin. Guess I'll have to send them letters with mis-spelled names so I can look stupid.

DanM
12-04-11, 12:28 PM
I just had an issue with the site. No big deal, I guess, but I just got 2 letters from boot and these kids don't print too well. I've been trying to look them up by their screen name so I can get a good spelling on their last names. Searching thru the 1 billion names is a,,,,well you know. Too bad there isn't a type in search box. Just sayin. Guess I'll have to send them letters with mis-spelled names so I can look stupid.

There is a drop down search function in the "members list" section.:nerd:

DanM
12-04-11, 12:38 PM
That didn't work......you can use Google to search though.

Ken Sparks site:www.leatherneck.com ,in the search box.

wildwoman73
12-04-11, 06:48 PM
It's the poolees, Marine friends and family, etc. that come on here and talk as if they own the site and try to tell us what to do or say. In other words try to boss us around. They need to have a section all to themselves. How about making an age limit to how young a person can be on here; 16 and younger is too young to be on here!! Enforce the school regulations more, which haven't been doing that for a long time. I could go on and on, but I'll just quit here.

Linda that is a great idea. Honestly, I hate for anyone to not have the opportunity due to age to interact with some really great mentors. However, I do believe there are threads on here they don't need to see. Like the War Room for instance. LOL. Are they able to "see" and just not post? At any rate...don't shut them completely out. Have about 10-15 Marines that normally stick their neck out and answer questions be points of contact "formally". Like Rollie.

More Moderators? No disrespect to any of them. I'm a social cat. Jump on board and posted away....and learned QUICKLY who I could go to for site advise. She knows who she is. :)

And any time I've EVER had a problem she or Lep are all over it or quick to cough up needed info.

So (1) Limit threads poolee's can see
(2) Assign points of contact to tactfully mentor our future Marines.
(3) I didn't find it (or look too hard...bad me) but maybe boldly where it can be easily located on the HOME page...a list of moderators and their specified billets. Say like Lisa is GREAT at correcting wrong posting places and keeping hot heads in check with the salty dogs. :) And Lep is awesome with current topics and making "POOF" happen quickly with posers. etc....
(4) I'd like to see some kind of difference in font or color of profile names when their birthdays show up on the bottom of the page. I think the daily birthday list should stay. I just never deny a friend request and some I never speak to...except when I don't over look their birthday at the bottom of the home page. Maybe even italicise their profile name as to depict a "friend" posted a thread or it's their birthday.....

Ok...I'll shut up now. Rambling.

wildwoman73
12-04-11, 06:53 PM

Very true. I'm making it a goal of mine though. I've decreased my 4 letter words from every other word to one ever other sentence. Go me.

linda1945
12-05-11, 01:03 AM
Tiara, That's one of the problems, can't the poolees to use their rooms; like chat room. You noticed that since the Marines left the chat room the others (poolees and others) have left now. Yeah, I know what you mean about the War Room. :) The rules for the poolees to a certain point have been lax. Ooops! Repeating myself!!

thewookie
12-05-11, 07:54 AM
I recently signed up at glocktalk and I saw something with their sign-up process that could work well here.

Over there when you first sign up, there was a "cool off" period between when you signed up, and when you were given access to post. I think that is a good way to get rid of some of the spammers/trolls out there looking to flame a thread/person and leave. If there's a day long or say 12hour cool off period between when a new member signs up, and when they can first post - it will deter some of them.

Another thing I saw and liked - the first post you post over there they make it subject to moderation. So, if "Joe Spammer Troll" comes here and decided he wants to spam/troll them site it would be much tougher.

I know currently there's really only Sgt Lep doing the moderation, and that might make it tough to do that. But if the site brings on a few more, that tool could be an effective way to control the idiots.

Lisa 23
12-05-11, 09:32 AM
Easy to ask.,,, Might not be so easy to do though.

a built in function to REQUIRE *Fields on profile (to be filled in )before FNG's can move forward towards posting (reguardless of type of profile background).

that in its-self would probibly cut down 99% of the gripe most of what i read on
site newbies violate.
reguardless of poolee, family, friend , or Marine.

I agree! :thumbup:

My suggested *required* fields on profile items are:

*First name
*Last name (optional or initial OK)
*Valid emaill address
*Rank at discharge from the Corps
*Boot Camp location
*Platoon number or just what BN you were in
*Graduation date
*Year entered Corps
*Year left Corps
*Duty stations (just bases OK, but units also preferred)
*Wars and conflicts you were in involved in?
*Combat History

*Ship date for poolees (actual shipdate, not a guesstimated one)
*Poolees valid email address
*Recruiter's name for poolees
*Recruiter's phone number for poolees

All that other stuff in ones profile could be emilinated.

I also agree with Apache....... Similar to a lot of other sites, the registration will not progress unless *required fields* are completed.
I would also add......Once *required fields* are completed, an email will be sent to verify your account.

Example.........

Please follow the instructions below to confirm that you signed up for this account, or to cancel the account if you did not sign up.

CONFIRM ACCOUNT
To help prevent unauthorized account creation, we need you to confirm your e-mail address. We will use this e-mail address to send you important messages about your account.

To confirm this e-mail address, select and copy the following link. Open a browser and paste the link in the address bar. Follow the instructions that display.

Linda....there's already a forum for Marine Family members to post in......Open Discussion, Marine Parents, and Marine Spouse...... some post there and some post there as well as in other forums.

Taira, as for limiting what forums poolees and wannabes can see....they can't see any of the Marines Only forum.....Chesty's Hooch, Sick Bay Commandos, Boot Camp Stories, In Country, and the Political forum.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-05-11, 07:19 PM
I do like those ideas. If it were my decision alone they'd be done. Hopefully they are workable, and Jerry will take them under advisement.

Keep 'em comin!

Sparkie, cute hat.

Conch
12-05-11, 07:28 PM
You honestly think someone is going to take the time to actually call some poolee's recruiter's phone number? No recruiter would even discuss that kind of information due to the Privacy Act. I see no reason why the recruiter's number would be needed. No recruiter is going to take the time to verify something for an online website. Just saying.

Hammer3
12-05-11, 07:40 PM
I do like those ideas. If it were my decision alone they'd be done. Hopefully they are workable, and Jerry will take them under advisement.

Keep 'em comin!

Sparkie, cute hat.

Lep,

Where do we stand on any of these ideas being implemented? Seems like we have hit the beach and can't go inland to our objective, or is it only a recon op? As Marines, we need to move.

wildwoman73
12-06-11, 08:22 AM
I recently signed up at glocktalk and I saw something with their sign-up process that could work well here.

Over there when you first sign up, there was a "cool off" period between when you signed up, and when you were given access to post. I think that is a good way to get rid of some of the spammers/trolls out there looking to flame a thread/person and leave. If there's a day long or say 12hour cool off period between when a new member signs up, and when they can first post - it will deter some of them.

Another thing I saw and liked - the first post you post over there they make it subject to moderation. So, if "Joe Spammer Troll" comes here and decided he wants to spam/troll them site it would be much tougher.

I know currently there's really only Sgt Lep doing the moderation, and that might make it tough to do that. But if the site brings on a few more, that tool could be an effective way to control the idiots.

Hmmmm.....or a troll button. Get so many clicks on it and get banned for X amount of days or whatever. I know it won't stop the generation of ficticious accounts but if they are banned for a certain amount of time maybe it'll deter them from gumming up the member list with bs names. Then again...there's the issue of trolls clicking on us. Hmmmm...we should have immunity!!! lol

wildwoman73
12-06-11, 08:24 AM
Taira, as for limiting what forums poolees and wannabes can see....they can't see any of the Marines Only forum.....Chesty's Hooch, Sick Bay Commandos, Boot Camp Stories, In Country, and the Political forum.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, thank you.

wildwoman73
12-06-11, 08:26 AM
Lep,

Where do we stand on any of these ideas being implemented? Seems like we have hit the beach and can't go inland to our objective, or is it only a recon op? As Marines, we need to move.

The powers that be read them I'm sure. If you have a good idea, spill it. Why do you think this site is so successful?

DanM
12-06-11, 11:22 AM
Hmmmm.....or a troll button. Get so many clicks on it and get banned for X amount of days or whatever. I know it won't stop the generation of ficticious accounts but if they are banned for a certain amount of time maybe it'll deter them from gumming up the member list with bs names. Then again...there's the issue of trolls clicking on us. Hmmmm...we should have immunity!!! lol

Every post already has a "report" button,if members don't use it Sgt.Lep doesn't know of the problem.

Hammer3
12-06-11, 11:31 AM
The powers that be read them I'm sure. If you have a good idea, spill it. Why do you think this site is so successful?

There's never been a question in my mind that this site is successful, and being a member for a short time, I have my own opinion as to why it is as successful as it is. It's called leadership, and attention to detail.

With that said, all I asked for was an update on the ideas that have been posted. I don't believe that it would be unreasonable to ask the status.

linda1945
12-06-11, 01:10 PM
I agree! :thumbup:

My suggested *required* fields on profile items are:

*First name
*Last name (optional or initial OK)
*Valid emaill address
*Rank at discharge from the Corps
*Boot Camp location
*Platoon number or just what BN you were in
*Graduation date
*Year entered Corps
*Year left Corps
*Duty stations (just bases OK, but units also preferred)
*Wars and conflicts you were in involved in?
*Combat History

*Ship date for poolees (actual shipdate, not a guesstimated one)
*Poolees valid email address
*Recruiter's name for poolees
*Recruiter's phone number for poolees

All that other stuff in ones profile could be emilinated.

I also agree with Apache....... Similar to a lot of other sites, the registration will not progress unless *required fields* are completed.
I would also add......Once *required fields* are completed, an email will be sent to verify your account.

Example.........

Please follow the instructions below to confirm that you signed up for this account, or to cancel the account if you did not sign up.

CONFIRM ACCOUNT
To help prevent unauthorized account creation, we need you to confirm your e-mail address. We will use this e-mail address to send you important messages about your account.

To confirm this e-mail address, select and copy the following link. Open a browser and paste the link in the address bar. Follow the instructions that display.

Linda....there's already a forum for Marine Family members to post in......Open Discussion, Marine Parents, and Marine Spouse...... some post there and some post there as well as in other forums.

Taira, as for limiting what forums poolees and wannabes can see....they can't see any of the Marines Only forum.....Chesty's Hooch, Sick Bay Commandos, Boot Camp Stories, In Country, and the Political forum.

slipped my old brain! :)

Artemis
12-06-11, 03:04 PM
Perhaps adding a function like having to be invited to create a profile could cut down on some of the rif raf that end up here?

Marine1955
01-01-12, 10:22 PM
Perhaps adding a function like having to be invited to create a profile could cut down on some of the rif raf that end up here?

Should be a must!!!!

Rooger
01-02-12, 05:18 AM
Should be a must!!!!

I Agree!!!:flag:

Lisa 23
01-02-12, 07:23 AM

As I previously suggested, when a member registers, they should be *required* to fill out their profile or their account will not be activated. That would cut down on all the rif raf that end up here.

Similar to a lot of other sites, the registration will not progress unless *required fields* are completed.

Example.........

CONFIRM ACCOUNT

EGTSpec
01-02-12, 12:08 PM
How about a function that allows the poster to delete his own post after the five minute limit. Not edit it, just delete it at any time. I have posted info I thought was real in the past only to find out later it wasn't. I've had to go back and quote my old post, and declare it false. Would be a lot easier to just be able to delete it. But one plus is, I now double check the vallidity of the info before i post it. (Mostly)

And how does one apply for Squad Leader?

Quinbo
01-02-12, 12:48 PM
My grandma is slow but she is old.

Lisa 23
01-02-12, 01:07 PM

From what I can see, the 'help wanted' sign is no longer on the home page.....

Volunteers Wanted
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=806153#post806153

advanced
01-02-12, 01:15 PM

Bob, looks like they don't want our/your kind. S/F

EGTSpec
01-02-12, 01:20 PM
Bob, looks like they don't want our/your kind. S/FHow about this for a suggestion: If the site wants volunteers maybe they can PM all who qualify so members don't find out months later. Some of us don't cruise the whole site just specific forums, and threads. So qualified people might not see a notice on just one forum/thead.

Quinbo
01-02-12, 01:49 PM
That just takes the entitlement cake. If this was in the hooch I would tell you what I really think about it.

Lisa 23
01-02-12, 02:05 PM
Open Squad Bay.....

Leatherneck Promotions
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107707&page=4

Camper51
01-02-12, 02:16 PM

I disagree. I wandered into this site a few years ago and if I had been required to be invited in I would never have joined. Not everyone is referred to this site by another member. There should be no impediments to joining when you just "happen by" this site. If the required fields are filled out then away you go...

Camper51
01-02-12, 02:22 PM
You honestly think someone is going to take the time to actually call some poolee's recruiter's phone number? No recruiter would even discuss that kind of information due to the Privacy Act. I see no reason why the recruiter's number would be needed. No recruiter is going to take the time to verify something for an online website. Just saying.

I have, in fact, called a recruiter on a poolee who caused a problem. Turns out he was a good poolee, but my call fixed a problem. The poolee PM'd me and apologized, went on to become a fine Marine. He and I still talk occasionally and he has an open invite for a beer on me, anytime, anyplace...

I wouldn't mind seeing the poolee forums back since there were a lot of good questions they had that needed answers...

acg8276
01-02-12, 02:31 PM

Strongly disagree. With the above.

I think Softball's idea is a good one.

As I previously suggested, when a member registers, they should be *required* to fill out their profile or their account will not be activated. That would cut down on all the rif raf that end up here.

Rocky C
01-02-12, 03:07 PM

Agree Lisa :thumbup:

Phantom Blooper
01-02-12, 03:09 PM
How about this for a suggestion: If the site wants volunteers maybe they can PM all who qualify so members don't find out months later. Some of us don't cruise the whole site just specific forums, and threads. So qualified people might not see a notice on just one forum/thead.

Too many influcts Bob.....:beer:

gkmoz
01-02-12, 03:43 PM
How about a function that allows the poster to delete his own post after the five minute limit. Not edit it, just delete it at any time. I have posted info I thought was real in the past only to find out later it wasn't. I've had to go back and quote my old post, and declare it false. Would be a lot easier to just be able to delete it. But one plus is, I now double check the vallidity of the info before i post it. (Mostly)

The delete Idea is a good one, I frequent a site that gives an hour to change or delete
And I frequent another site that allows 24 hrs, would either of these be possible ? Thanx :thumbup:

ChuckH
01-02-12, 04:37 PM
The problem with having an option for someone to delete their post is that if someone starts a thread and a bunch of people reply to it with in that first hour or whatever time frame is given to delete said post..the original poster deletes the post and now you have a bunch of replies to a post that is no longer there....
That would lead to all sorts of confusion...
I have seen that happen before.

Marine1955
01-02-12, 07:16 PM
I have an Idea,how about instance messaging like face book where as you can see who your brother or anyone who need your help with a post or problem can simple click on the squad leader's name and he can carry on a dialog with him or her and not have to look on the front of the home page to see if there's someone like Sgt. Lep. or any of the squad leaders around to help them out..
That way we don't have to PM anyone they can see we are here..

:nerd:What do you think Boss???

Lisa 23
01-02-12, 07:32 PM
Marine1955....
I'm guessing what you mean is that the system that's in chat when you message someone while chatting with everyone else, you would like here on the main boards.....but for members to instantly chat with Admin and Mods only.

m14ed
01-03-12, 08:19 AM
a lot of SUCKING up in here , have you noticed ??????

I dont know if anyone else in here has a problem posting and the site replys that i am not logged on.(when i darned well know i am , and have )then cant get to search where i was before...

THAT "last posts in 24 hours" would be handy to have as a button for us non nerds.

oh,
and how about asking the person that had the idea what they had in mind..Might save a ton

Zulu 36
01-03-12, 10:27 AM
a lot of SUCKING up in here , have you noticed ??????

I dont know if anyone else in here has a problem posting and the site replys that i am not logged on.(when i darned well know i am , and have )then cant get to search where i was before...

THAT "last posts in 24 hours" would be handy to have as a button for us non nerds.

oh,
and how about asking the person that had the idea what they had in mind..Might save a ton

Have you seen the "New Posts" link in the upper left area called "My Info"? It's below the saluting Marine and the internal links. Those are the new posts since you last logged on. Click on it and you are given a list of the threads, etc, where the new posts are.

Marine1955
01-03-12, 12:38 PM
Marine1955....
I'm guessing what you mean is that the system that's in chat when you message someone while chatting with everyone else, you would like here on the main boards.....but for members to instantly chat with Admin and Mods only.

Yep-per that be right.

Lisa 23
01-03-12, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me Marine1955!

kaelobo
02-07-12, 03:52 PM
PTSD site bit the dust, o well
guess i have to talk to my
self now. no biggie keep on keepen on, s/f

Shaffer
02-07-12, 04:03 PM
PTSD is in the Marine only forums.

Bruce59
02-07-12, 04:31 PM
Ok in the old THE FEW site they had a neat little password you could put in
every time you posted. So if you post lets something you had second thoughts about saying you could delete that post by using your password.
I got to tell you it work well, sometimes I would post something and after I posted it I saw alot of spelling mistakes, I could go back and delete it, or you could say something in anger to or about another Marine then think better of it after. You could just go and delete it.

wildwoman73
02-07-12, 04:43 PM
Jerry any word on the phone app?

Ray Merrell
02-09-12, 03:21 PM
I think an improvement to Leatherneck would be to have a Book Review,
Movie Review, and For Sale forum. For Marines and Doc's only.

wildwoman73
02-09-12, 03:23 PM
Movie Review, and For Sale forum. For Marines and Doc's only.

thewookie
02-09-12, 06:42 PM

I definitely like the book review idea --> start one up, Ray. :thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
02-09-12, 11:39 PM
I'll have to concur. Ray, we already have a 'for sale' section though.

m14ed
02-16-12, 07:19 AM
On occasions , i am asked by folks who come into the chat channel at various times of the day asking a reason a FRIEND has been banned or given a time out....

When i ask a "Squad Leader" in person (any of the now many) IF they had an idea that would shed some light to the question and i would return the message
to the Enquierer......................................... ...I Normally only get a shrug and an
IDUNNO, there's no way i can check............................................. .........

I'm pretty positive that with the brainpower around here,,, you are able to have a page that them in the know can access and pass at least an email to the questioning party...

OR the "ADMIN/MODERATOR/SQUADLEADER" doing the suspending should at least email the offender as to when and why and how long....

"
just my humble opinion"

ChuckH
02-16-12, 11:02 AM
When someone is banned there is a section where you put the reason that whoever is getting banned can see, unless its a spammer, then no reason, just perma banned.
Anyone in particular who got banned?

Scott Russell
02-27-12, 04:58 AM
I'm looking for a way to send an inviation to join this community to Marines we know. it would be a slicker to give their email to the site and have the invite come from here saying. fellow Marine smuckatelli, joe has invited you to join our community.

Marine1955
02-27-12, 03:25 PM
I'm looking for a way to send an inviation to join this community to Marines we know. it would be a slicker to give their email to the site and have the invite come from here saying. fellow Marine smuckatelli, joe has invited you to join our community.

Hey Scott you can still send an invite to any Marine you know all you have to do is when you go to email anyone you have a tool bar section in your email section that lets you add web sites links to your email you send.
Just click on the link and type in the web site address and attach it to your email and they will have that link when they open your email to read..
If you need help with that just PM me and I'll help you on this.
You can do it from here also we have covered here also..www.leatherneck.com (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/www.leatherneck.com)

Burke7051
03-01-12, 03:07 PM
Here's some suggestions:

1. Bring back the old site

2. Get rid of the ads, especially the one about the University of Phoenix, which is a scam college.

3. Get rid of the popup thing that asks you to log in every five seconds.

This downgrade to this website is the worst thing that has ever happened to this site. This site has helped me out tremendously, but now, it is so frustrating and takes forever to load. This is a sad day for this site.

ameriken
03-01-12, 03:55 PM
Agree with Burke. I do understand the ads may be necessary to pay for the forum, however aside from that the format is nowhere near as good as the original, which was easy on the eye. I too keep getting an annoying popup asking for my username and password (and when i enter it it tells me it's the wrong one). I end up cancelling the popup since I'm already logged in but it keeps popping up anyway.

Quinbo
03-01-12, 04:37 PM
The Few became the many and now returned to the few.

gunner1
03-01-12, 06:19 PM
I agree with Burke the old site was better more user friendly I to get messages to keep logging in, then tells me it's wrong. I understand change, but if it isn't broke why mess with it.

Rocky C
03-01-12, 06:25 PM
Hang in there Brothers and Sisters.
It's only day 1 of the New Site.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

thewookie
03-01-12, 06:26 PM
Relax folks and give it some time. I liken it to upgrading an OS or a browser: go from windows XP --> to Vista, or Internet Explorer another version of IE.

Same thing.

Quinbo
03-01-12, 08:58 PM
You need to modify the global session variable to expires never.

DanM
03-01-12, 09:07 PM
You need to modify the global session variable to expires never.

If you know how to fix the login popup,PM Shaffer with the info.

m14ed
03-02-12, 02:51 AM
Why was the site upgraded in the first place? I don't see what was wrong with the old one. Just wondering, or am I going to banned for just asking?

Look at the new "ADVERTISEMENTS"
It is called a Profit Motive...Easily understandable.

thewookie
03-02-12, 03:10 AM
Why was the site upgraded in the first place? I don't see what was wrong with the old one. Just wondering, or am I going to banned for just asking?

HAHA - NO SOUP FOR YOU!:banana:

Marines love to b1tch, I love it.

Most of the forums that I've gone to over the years periodically upgrade their sites. Being an IT person, I can see a few good reasons. It's good to keep it fresh. I've been wondering when it would happen here. Google is throwing out some money to advertise -- why not grab some?

It's not as easy on the eyes as the old one was. But, I'm sure it will be modified in the coming days, weeks, whatever.

Speak up, that's the only way changes can be made. And that is why the thread was created.

sparkie
03-02-12, 09:47 AM
Wookie,,,you being a trator and all [squad leader] aside, I agree with ya a bit. I hate cell phones, e-tickets, computers, and living with all the dam spy cameras around. Things do change,, makes me glad I'm old enough not to care much. If there's honest money to be had, I'm all for it. Change,,,,I imagine I will learn to hate Depends some day.

Rocky C
03-02-12, 12:12 PM
As a Moderator I really don't know what else to say other than what I have already said.

Things will get all squared away soon. Please don't take anything too personnal. Everyone is in a frenzy on the site. Take a breath and try and relax.

What I haven't said is that I am thankful that we have a Forum to bullchit on and share or stories good or bad.

We are Family here and I don't know what I would do without you all.

Thank you all for your Friendship, Service, Sacrifices, Sharing and Caring.

Hang in there.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

DanTheMan B
03-02-12, 01:17 PM
Personally, I think this new design is a little better than the old one, with the exception of that annoying pop up thing that keeps asking me to login over and over. If that thing can be got rid of, I think this new design would be better. I do have to agree with Conch and some of the others though, I personally don't think it's right to ban someone just because they say they don't like the design.

Shaffer
03-02-12, 01:43 PM
They weren't banned because they said they didn't like the design. People are free to their opinions. However when a person relentlessly is being negative then that becomes an issue. Both were given a warning. Neither headed that warning. So thats when a person gets banned.

MOS4429
03-02-12, 02:53 PM
Shaffer, I posted yesterday on that other thread that had the gripes but appears to be taken down that the ad for University of Phoenix, if you click on it, it takes you back to leatherneck.com.

The pop-up I know you are familiar with. Somebody up above said if you know the solution to PM you. Not sure, but yesterday it would pop up once, and I would cancel it, and then not pop up again until I click on a different thread. Today it pops up and if I click cancel or close, it pops up and take four time consecutive to get rid of it. The pop-up on my computer reads, "The server www.leatherneck.com (http://www.leatherneck.com) at requires a username and password. Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."

Lastly, and only as a suggestion, I know there were a few who were pretty vocal about their dissatification with the new site, and as somebody said in the other thread, that's what Marines do best is biotch, so maybe a 30 day ban might be better than a permaban. I didn't continue to read on, though, so I didn't see the warning.

And I agree with Rhode Island, switching to a new system takes time to get the bugs out.

Shaffer
03-02-12, 03:26 PM
Nobody has been perma banned.

Try deleting your cookies and clearing your cache. That should fix the popup.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-02-12, 05:00 PM
I have every trust and confidence that this will, in time, get better. The first few days are ALWAYS bumpy, and I, like everyone else, will have a distinct learning curve. Give it time. No, I'm not saying all this because I'm a moderator, that has ZERO to do with it. I'm not a fan of 'change' much, myself, but there are times that it has to be done to keep relevant, or to have a better business model. Failure to adapt to certain situations puts you/us right into the buggywhip industry......and we all know what happened to THEM.

Hammer3
03-02-12, 07:47 PM
I personally have no problems with the changes being implemented, and if it makes the site better, then we all will be better off.. I also don't mind the advertisments if it can make the site better off financially. It's the American way. Nothing wrong with capitalism.

The only difficulties I have seen is the pop up's, and I will do as Jerry suggested; clear the cookies and cache. The other is that I was told that their profile was taken off. I understand that this didn't happen.

I would suggest, that if there are members, who don't have their profiles filled out, that a program be implemented to delete them.

Otherwise, we are Marines; we are trained to overcome and adapt!

Semper Fi & Thanks for updating the site!

Mongoose
03-03-12, 04:59 AM
Part of our character comes from being able to adapt and overcome. I'm an old dog, but I can still learn new tricks.

irpat54
03-03-12, 05:57 AM
don't know if it has been asked about before, but i would like to see the "buddies on line list back up again,,i did like that,, as for the change,, oh well ,, improvise adapt and over come

irpat54
03-03-12, 07:38 AM
i just have one more little thing,,,is it just my computer or does every one have a problem with the system updating when a new post is added to a thread,,, when i hit home i notice that a lot of times the thread is not updated to show my post and i have to go back , sometimes 2 or 3 time to get it to update,, just wondering if it is a common problem the maybe some one will look into it,, thanks

m14ed
03-03-12, 10:01 AM
Being this is a "Suggestion box" thread,string, thingamajiggy, whatchamacallit.

Hows about keeping this thr3ad for suggestions.
start another thread for COMPLAINTS
start another thread for BUG REPORTING

I really feel discussions belong someplace else other than the suggestion box.
also feel complaints may be warrented some where that valid arguments may be presented and considered...WHO knows, there may be a common ground and an alternitive that meets more than one warm body. AND doesnt impinge
on profitability of the site.
Many times you 'll hear more brilliance than Bull if you take the time to listen.

SemperFi people

Hammer3
03-03-12, 10:57 AM
I cleared the cookies and cache per Shaffers suggestion, and the pop-up went away. There is another glitch that I was hoping it would fix as well, but it still persdists.

When reading a post, and want to click off that current thread to go to another, their is a noticable time lasp before the computer re-loads. This does not happen on other sites that I belong to,only this one. So Shaffer, if you have another fix, please advise.

Semper Fi!

Artemis
03-03-12, 12:38 PM
Going to take some getting used to but overall not bad on the new look.

Perhaps I am missing it but is there still an area that shows who is online and who is currently in the chat?

DanM
03-03-12, 12:45 PM
Going to take some getting used to but overall not bad on the new look.

Perhaps I am missing it but is there still an area that shows who is online and who is currently in the chat?

Member's online is at the bottom of the forum page. At present there is no "who" is in the chat,you need to enter chat and see who is there.

Artemis
03-03-12, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the answer Dan.

AlwaysWillBe
03-03-12, 08:34 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response to this suggestion, I have been MIA for a few months - many issues to deal with.

OK, if it took an invite to join, how many of us wouldn't be here? Raise hand please (HAND UP!).
I for one just stumbled upon this site.
Good idea, but could result in issues.
Just my 2 cents worth.

The DUKE
03-03-12, 09:51 PM
Put the chat room back on the page, I liked being able to see if there were people in there prior to leaving the page of info to jump into chat only to find out its empty and your the only one in the chat room, but the box back oon the page to see who's in chat up front,thanks

linda1945
03-03-12, 10:09 PM
Put the chat room back on the page, I liked being able to see if there were people in there prior to leaving the page of info to jump into chat only to find out its empty and your the only one in the chat room, but the box back oon the page to see who's in chat up front,thanksDuke, I agree with you!! I like to see who is in the chat room before I go in. Now I can't get in the chat room!! :( Tried to get in there awhile ago and couldn't get in!!

DanM
03-03-12, 10:14 PM
Duke, I agree with you!! I like to see who is in the chat room before I go in. Now I can't get in the chat room!! :( Tried to get in there awhile ago and couldn't get in!!

I was just there 2 minutes ago,no problem entering chat.

Quinbo
03-04-12, 03:15 AM
A hunting site I belong to has it set up so if you are a paid member you see no ads while free members see the ads. Free members are encouraged to click on the ads.

The frames used on this new look kinda interfere with members showing pictures on for example the political cartoons thread. Possibly a layout with a frame supporting ads near the bottem of the page might help.

Hopping around the site the menus seem to change... maybe css might help keep it all cohesive.

Autosave .... cool feature. It sometimes duplicates the same word.

Keep up the good work :beer:

MOS4429
03-05-12, 12:53 PM
Question/suggestion:

On the private message page, when there is an incoming message, the window for that message is about an inch wide and the message runs three screens long.

Is there a way to reformat that page so that reading the messages and typing a response is larger? Or do I have the ability to reformat it in settings? Cannot find a spot for that, or is there a way to open it up in its own page so not a skinny strip running down the page.

Thanks.

AlwaysWillBe
03-05-12, 01:08 PM
Question/suggestion:

On the private message page, when there is an incoming message, the window for that message is about an inch wide and the message runs three screens long.

Is there a way to reformat that page so that reading the messages and typing a response is larger? Or do I have the ability to reformat it in settings? Cannot find a spot for that, or is there a way to open it up in its own page so not a skinny strip running down the page.

Thanks.

HERE HERE!! I second that motion!
I would guess it's just something that needs to be "tweaked".
First time I saw that I said "It's like reading the newspaper -- A REAL LONG ONE" !! :)

I'm sure that over time things will be adjusted.
Maybe we all need to become Beta Testers!
Send in trouble reports when we spot things.

Have a good one...

Hammer3
03-05-12, 05:20 PM
Sometimes the screen goes blank when switching to a new thread. It's getting tiresome.

DrZ
03-06-12, 07:29 AM
I have seen many of the Newbies fail to do things simply because there is no one to push them. They generate a minimum profile and start flapping their gums. It seems to me it would be a simple addition to do a couple of things that could assist in this process.

1. When someone logs in or goes to the home page, put which mods are online. That way the kids could pm them with questions. This would assist our normal users as well by knowing who is available.

2. When a person builds a new profile...prior to being able to post...generate an automatic PM to any available mod to do a cursory vetting to approve or to PM the used what needs to be done.

I have seen this done on several of the board I used to mod on and it worked. It will require some additional work on Jerry's part to set it up and I am sure the guy is up to his eyeballs in alligators.

Quinbo
03-07-12, 02:11 AM
The mouseover on the profile pages changes the text from blue to red on a red background. Reccomend changing mouseover text to white on the red background.

Cheers.

McT ontheRock71
03-07-12, 10:20 AM
I realize that this isn't a suggestion, however, sometimes after I log in and visit a few threads in the "Open Squad Bay" I'll try to visit "Chesty's Hooch" in Marines only and be asked to log in again. Can something be worked out where this won't happen?

MOS4429
03-13-12, 06:02 PM
ON the USMC POOLEE section, bottom right on the home page, go back to where the latest entries and replies are posted instead of the stickies or old threads.

Reason is in order to see if a question is posted in Ask a Marine, you have to go to the forum page, down to "Ask a Marine," check, etc., and quite frankly, I have noticed fewer are answering questions.

Also, there seem to be far few poolees utilizing that section.

acg8276
03-13-12, 11:24 PM
Seems there is a lot less posts all over this site since the new format came out.

Hammer3
03-14-12, 08:30 AM
When going to a new thread; the screen goes blank. takes a little time to re-load. never happened on the old forum. Please get the political cartoonh thread fixed. this new format for pic's is ruining this thread.

m14ed
03-16-12, 01:12 PM
Leatherneck Chat can only be entered from the "leatherneck" page AFTER Signing in................................................ ............................

OLD SHORT CUTS dont work

DanM
03-16-12, 03:45 PM
Leatherneck Chat can only be entered from the "leatherneck" page AFTER Signing in................................................ ............................

OLD SHORT CUTS dont work

Delete old shortcuts,add new shortcut to favorites,check "remember me" box when logging in,problem solved.

link to chat room........http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/chat.php

Hammer3
03-16-12, 05:09 PM
I understand that we have a new format, and we are working out the kinks. But some things are getting old. I'm personally tired of the screen going blank, showing that an advertising page is available re; 468X60, or the back button will not work, will not allow for a post to be copied correctly; will not show an entire cartoon.

Yes, I know it's free,but whoever designed this new forum needs to be replaced, because they can't fix it.

Shaffer, I know you will get it corrected, but please walk down the hall and kick someone in the butt, the Marine Corps way.

Hammer3
03-19-12, 11:25 AM
Is anyone working on correcting the problem I mentioned in post 139? Is there any idea how much longer? I've had a computer guru here in my home to make sure it wasn't my computer. No, it's your's. Please advise of the status.

m14ed
03-19-12, 03:52 PM
"NOTICE"

"Beatings will continue until Morale improves"

ChuckH
03-19-12, 04:06 PM
Things take time.... be patient...

Hammer3
03-19-12, 04:49 PM
Things take time.... be patient...

Show me a Marine who is patient, and I'll show you a poser! Thanks!

Nebraska
03-23-12, 02:07 AM
Can we get rid of the time limit for editing posts? I have seem some forums on other sites, where you can edit your posts any time, some times even months after you originally posted it. That time limit thing gets old after a while, even if I do preview what I'm gonna post.

-Semper Fi,
Tyler.

m14ed
03-23-12, 03:43 AM
Can we get rid of the time limit for editing posts? I have seem some forums on other sites, where you can edit your posts any time, some times even months after you originally posted it. That time limit thing gets old after a while, even if I do preview what I'm gonna post.

-Semper Fi,
Tyler.

REALLY ????????
I try and say what i feel and think the first time.
I look for spelling errors , then let it fly if i cant find mistakes.
Maybe you should try it ????

Conch
03-23-12, 04:13 AM
REALLY ????????
I try and say what i feel and think the first time.
I look for spelling errors , then let it fly if i cant find mistakes.
Maybe you should try it ????

He said in his post that he previews things. It's at the end of the post.

elliscraig12
03-26-12, 11:16 AM
I realize that this isn't a suggestion, however, sometimes after I log in and visit a few threads in the "Open Squad Bay" I'll try to visit "Chesty's Hooch" in Marines only and be asked to log in again. Can something be worked out where this won't happen?
I've got the same problem. It seems if I'm on a thread too long, or go to an external link for too long, I have to log back in, even though it still shows me as being logged in. Is there a time limit now on external links?

ChuckH
03-26-12, 11:48 AM

-Semper Fi,
Tyler.

Getting rid of the time limit ,
I don't see that happening.
If the time limit were to be removed, that would open up a can of worms as far as someone posting something, then get a lot of replies, then the original poster would go back and edit his post.
That would make everyone who answered the original post look like idiots and their replies wouldn't make any sense.

I have seen it happen. It never works...

Hammer3
04-10-12, 07:57 AM
I would appreciate a simple answer to a simple question. When can we expect to have the forum up and running as good as it was before the improvements started?

It is getting to the point that it is not worth coming to the forum because of the crap that is on-going, and never gets corrected.

Semper Fi!

advanced
04-10-12, 08:14 AM
Getting rid of the time limit ,
I don't see that happening.
If the time limit were to be removed, that would open up a can of worms as far as someone posting something, then get a lot of replies, then the original poster would go back and edit his post.
That would make everyone who answered the original post look like idiots and their replies wouldn't make any sense.

I have seen it happen. It never works...

Chuck, are you saying that all of our posts then would look like the posts of our liberal posters?

MOS4429
04-10-12, 10:08 AM
Chuck, are you saying that all of our posts then would look like the posts of our liberal posters?

:marine::thumbup::D

Hammer3
04-10-12, 11:16 AM
I would appreciate a simple answer to a simple question. When can we expect to have the forum up and running as good as it was before the improvements started?

It is getting to the point that it is not worth coming to the forum because of the crap that is on-going, and never gets corrected.

Semper Fi!

LEP, Foxtrot, Apache, DanM, Chuck,pr Shaffer,

Can someone answer my question. Just give us an idea.

Zulu 36
04-10-12, 11:50 AM
LEP, Foxtrot, Apache, DanM, Chuck,pr Shaffer,

Can someone answer my question. Just give us an idea.

I can answer for most, if not all, of the Squad Leaders: we don't know.

I hate to dump it all on him, but Shaffer is the site owner and the only one with the admin authorities to make the changes or corrections you'd like to see. Shaffer has fixed a number of issues since the change-over, I do not know what he has planned for the future.

All I can counsel is patience just like I'm being. Many of your concerns and those of other members have been brought to Jerry's attention by yourselves and by Mods. These issues do get discussed on the Mod's HQ forum.

Hammer3
04-10-12, 12:47 PM
I can answer for most, if not all, of the Squad Leaders: we don't know.

I hate to dump it all on him, but Shaffer is the site owner and the only one with the admin authorities to make the changes or corrections you'd like to see. Shaffer has fixed a number of issues since the change-over, I do not know what he has planned for the future.

All I can counsel is patience just like I'm being. Many of your concerns and those of other members have been brought to Jerry's attention by yourselves and by Mods. These issues do get discussed on the Mod's HQ forum.

Thanks Zulu! I appreciate your answer. It's at least a straight answer.

Phantom Blooper
04-10-12, 04:55 PM
We have a new band of moderators/squadleaders....20 of them I believe.

When one looks at the forum threads...except for Sgt Leprechaun....the other moderators are inactive....or very seldom frequent the site....if they are still mods.

When someone is told to contact a squad leader....some may not know whom they are.....so I would suggest replacing names now with inactive.

The DUKE
04-10-12, 05:28 PM
Old shortcuts to chat,
your kidding right,
no one goes into chat since the new format,
either that or I'm a complete moron when it comes to clicking on the chat icon,
I have been in to see whats going on for weeks now,
never anyone in there,
o people in 2 rooms, tell me I'm in error please?

DanM
04-10-12, 05:41 PM
Old shortcuts to chat,
your kidding right,
no one goes into chat since the new format,
either that or I'm a complete moron when it comes to clicking on the chat icon,
I have been in to see whats going on for weeks now,
never anyone in there,
o people in 2 rooms, tell me I'm in error please?

Your name was listed as being in the chat ,I entered an empty chatroom.There are a number of members who still use the chat,most enter and turn on the sound notification and wait for another member to join.

Wyoming
04-13-12, 09:45 AM
We have a new band of moderators/squadleaders....20 of them I believe.

When one looks at the forum threads...except for Sgt Leprechaun....the other moderators are inactive....or very seldom frequent the site....if they are still mods.

When someone is told to contact a squad leader....some may not know whom they are.....so I would suggest replacing names now with inactive.

I disagree, on getting rid of the new mods. There is a learning process everywhere. Methinks that the FNG's are treading lighter, or lightly, and when push comes to shove, the punch the button.

There is a lot that non-Mods do not see, but from what I can tell, most if not all, are actively participating.

Phantom Blooper
04-14-12, 09:04 PM
I disagree, on getting rid of the new mods. There is a learning process everywhere. Methinks that the FNG's are treading lighter, or lightly, and when push comes to shove, the punch the button.

There is a lot that non-Mods do not see, but from what I can tell, most if not all, are actively participating.

Al....

I'm talking about when you have a forum you have Jim Nelson....Sixguns....thedrifter as mods.....they are no longer here.....these names should be replaced with the new 20 something mods....

I think the FNG's are doing a good job.....and they should have their names up in lights...............

Rocky C
04-15-12, 08:32 AM
Thanks Chuck :)

Phantom Blooper
04-15-12, 04:31 PM
Thanks Chuck :)

Yeah I think Big Al's head is still foggy from those drugs or getting those dreaded baths by nurses.

Rocky C
04-15-12, 04:46 PM
Baths ?
Nurses ?

Poor Big Al :)

I knew what you meant Chuck and I agree. Tons off old Mods listed that no longer frequent the Forum and Members send Pm's to them for help and get no reply because they are not here.

The DUKE
04-15-12, 09:29 PM
My point was that since the new format,
I have checked the chat room on a everyday basis,
not always on the same time but definately everyday,
since the change I have only encountered two people in the chat room,
when I loaded on, since then no one,
not one living soul,
that should speak for something,.
I used to mod the chat quite a bit during the later evening and wee hours of the AM. now no point,
no one uses it,
its too difficult and non user friendly,
thats my feeling.
it changed too much too quik for people to adjust.,
my personal opinion is too damn much white,
I used to find the darker format eye soothing after working all day on a CPU at work doing design work.

m14ed
04-16-12, 05:50 AM
the irony is
one day, not enough moderators

Next day, too many..........

Beatings will continue untill morale improves

the new chat does leave a lot to be desired

DrZ
04-16-12, 07:12 AM
I believe over time you will find that some of us (the Mods) disappear. We are probably on a trial basis where they will find out who can and cannot do the job. I have found at times my personal bias gets in the way of making rational decisions on when or if to shut down a thread or remove comments.

It is a tough job to be judge and jury on items here. Lep deserves a lot of credit and kudos.

ameriken
04-29-12, 02:26 PM
Just an FYI for anyone...on this new format I found Internet Explorer 8 to be extremely slow when making a post or changing pages. Half the time spent on the forum was sitting and waiting for pages to load. IE8 and Leatherneck just didn't seem to work well together. I use Firefox for this forum now and it gets the job done relatively quickly.

Rocky C
04-29-12, 06:09 PM
Ken, I use Internet Explorer 9 with Microsoft Silverlight 5 and it's fast and clear here.

irpat54
05-08-12, 01:43 PM
question, are we still working out the kink on this new web design,, and can anyone tell me why most of the time, when i post a quick post, why it sends me to advanced and then tell me that i have to wait 60 sec. before a post a second post, when i did not try to post a double,,

ChuckH
05-08-12, 01:47 PM
The answer to your question is Yes.
The powers that be ARE still working on numerous things.
Hang in there..

Conch
05-08-12, 01:52 PM
question, are we still working out the kink on this new web design,, and can anyone tell me why most of the time, when i post a quick post, why it sends me to advanced and then tell me that i have to wait 60 sec. before a post a second post, when i did not try to post a double,,

Same thing happens to me.

irpat54
05-08-12, 01:55 PM
k,, thanks

silverdollar
05-10-12, 09:41 AM
Does anybody else think that it would be better to shut this website down until it is repaired then to go on like it is?

ChuckH
05-10-12, 09:46 AM
No
edited to add
Be patient.. things will be better...

FoxtrotOscar
05-10-12, 10:17 AM
We need an Armory Section where members can share photos, weapons re-loading data and so forth..

These are Marines after all...

Gary Miner
05-10-12, 10:33 AM
A little thing. There is a "home" post at bottom of the page, can they put a duplicate "home" post at top of page? Thanks, by the way, I think this is a great website! I read many of my brothers remarks, and think about them a lot. Semper Fi!

thewookie
05-10-12, 12:40 PM
A little thing. There is a "home" post at bottom of the page, can they put a duplicate "home" post at top of page? Thanks, by the way, I think this is a great website! I read many of my brothers remarks, and think about them a lot. Semper Fi!

There kinda already is, Gary.

At the top of each page if you hover and then click on the Leatherneck logo -- it will take you to the Leatherneck website homepage.

Good luck, Marine. :marine:

Gary Miner
05-10-12, 01:09 PM
thanks, didn't know that!

ameriken
06-01-12, 05:37 PM
Any suggestions I might have had were fulfilled with this new look. Love seeing the red again, it gives the site are far better look more like the original.

Looks great! :thumbup:

Marine1955
06-01-12, 06:41 PM
Love the new look awesome !!!! sir. Awesome

m14ed
06-02-12, 05:16 AM
since the new format,

I have checked the chat room on a everyday basis,
. not always on the same time but definately everyday,
since the change I have only encountered two people in the chat room, when I loaded on,
since then no one, not one living soul,

that should speak for something,.
I used to mod the chat quite a bit during the later evening and wee hours of the AM. now no point,
no one uses it,
its too difficult and non user friendly,
thats my feeling.
it changed too much too quik for people to adjust.,
my personal opinion is too damn much white,

How about a way to rid ourselves of this
bull****bar that turns to a black line at the bottom of the screen that's "A P I T A"

"OOHRAH Marines and welcome to my website, Leatherneck.com. All Marine! All the Time!
Please pull up a footlocker and stay awhile" - SgtMaj Gene Overstreet, 12th SgtMaj of the Marine C

I notice the two comments on how good this looks,,,

I'd rather it worked. as compaired to how good it looks
now im stuck on page 11 "ironic ?" and cant get to page 12 again for another quote.....

Shaffer
06-02-12, 07:00 AM
The bar will STAY. You will and should be able to open and close it.

irpat54
06-02-12, 08:41 AM
just one thing,, maybe if the changes keep coming you should put out a users manual wit regular updates,,,lol just kidding,, now that i am finely figuring things out it is not so bad,,
but will the,,,,"do you want to leave the page" keep coming up or will that be disposed of eventually,,other then that and me not being able to figure out how to post a picture,, things are getting cool,,

Hammer3
06-02-12, 08:58 AM
I'm just glad that it seems we are on the downslope side with this new forum. What we had recently was a nightmare and I for one started to leave, It wasn't worth it.

I for one, like the new forum; it has a few glitches, but time will hopefully erase those. This is a major improvement.

Thanks!

Rocky C
06-02-12, 09:39 AM
Looks Outstanding and functions Great on my end !!!

kaelobo
06-02-12, 11:04 AM
i have been away , things have changed here , guess i will have to ck it out, you all have a nice day,

Hammer3
06-02-12, 05:22 PM
Update on my post: It takes too long to load pages; any suggestion?

Apache
06-02-12, 05:23 PM
OUTSTANDING !
Appearance is first class !

DanM
06-02-12, 05:28 PM

Try a different browser.

DanM
06-02-12, 05:30 PM
just one thing,, maybe if the changes keep coming you should put out a users manual wit regular updates,,,lol just kidding,, now that i am finely figuring things out it is not so bad,,
but will the,,,,"do you want to leave the page" keep coming up or will that be disposed of eventually,,other then that and me not being able to figure out how to post a picture,, things are getting cool,,

You must be using Internet Explorer,try using Firefox or Google Chrome.

ChuckH
06-02-12, 05:34 PM
I also get that do you want to leave page now and then.
I am using firefox 12.0.
It doesn't happen all the time and it really is no big deal.

ChuckH
06-02-12, 05:41 PM

Try deleting your cookies

m14ed
06-03-12, 04:37 AM
The bar will STAY. You will and should be able to open and close it.

the bar has a mind of its own,,,
pops up when it wants, pops down when
it feels like it...Clicking to close it works for a
moment...go to another forum and it pops again.
Sorta like an old man with a shoe-box fulla Viagra.

Look Ma, no hands.

m14ed
06-03-12, 04:39 AM
Number of Members: 94,386
Total Threads: 105,807
Total Posts: 830,466
Currently Online: 190

Newest Member: heart (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=95218)

What ever happened to what members are on-site ???
is that now a thing of the past also ?

ChuckH
06-03-12, 06:48 AM
It is still there at the bottom of the page just above newest member.
Sounds like it is your putter that is having issues and not the web site.
The welcome window stays closed for me on every page i go to.

Currently Active Users There are currently 218 users online (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/online.php). 5 members and 213 guests
Most users online 637

‎ChuckH (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?74998-ChuckH),
‎NCskiff (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?90090-NCskiff),
‎Shaffer (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?1-Shaffer)*+,
‎silverdollar (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?50396-silverdollar),
‎ssgtt32 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?937-ssgtt32)

ameriken
06-03-12, 10:14 AM
What browser are you using? I had bad luck with IE, far better with Firefox.

irpat54
06-03-12, 12:24 PM
how about putting the "new post" bullet where the "forum" bullet is i keep hitting the forum bullet all the time,,,,,lol it is a magnet to my mouse,,, and i agree with you Ken,, i had a bad time with IE and went to fire fox and it works much better

m14ed
06-03-12, 02:40 PM
It is still there at the bottom of the page just above newest member.
Sounds like it is your putter that is having issues and not the web site.
The welcome window stays closed for me on every page i go to.

Currently Active Users

There are currently 218 users online (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/online.php). 5 members and 213 guests
Most users online 637

‎ChuckH (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?74998-ChuckH),
‎NCskiff (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?90090-NCskiff),
‎Shaffer (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?1-Shaffer)*+,
‎silverdollar (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?50396-silverdollar),
‎ssgtt32 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?937-ssgtt32)

Might be on a squad leaders page, but not on measley mine..
Firefox v12.

ChuckH
06-03-12, 03:26 PM
Never thought of that.... :(

m14ed
06-04-12, 03:25 AM
That's OK Chuck.

I like to complain anyway, & complain early too.
I'd be complaining now if I could figure how to explain
what is/isn't happening now with Firefox not getting full
download of pages (Blank Sections) as i page down or up.
Sorta like a suntan from laying under venitian blinds.
Horizontal stripes of information......

OH;, by the bye,
Last man out ,
turn the light off in the chat room please when you leave.

Quinbo
06-04-12, 12:38 PM
A pop up encouraging guests to create a profile is a good thing.

==================================================
Hello Guest, if you reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to Click here (http://www.leatherneck.com/register.php) to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please note that nicknames are prohibited lewd or meaningless (no numbers or letters at random) and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet our community
==================================================

Now if we can get someone who speaks english to write it so that it can be understood we would be in buisness.

Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means that you have not yet registered. Please take a second to Click here (http://www.leatherneck.com/register.php) to register and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please note that lewd vulgar or meaningless (random numbers and letters), nicknames are prohibited. Introduce yourself, with your profile, to our fine membership.

Tennessee Top
06-04-12, 01:50 PM
The pop-up says we have 5 minutes to edit a post but it's more like only 1 minute. Totally unsat and needs fixing.

ameriken
06-04-12, 02:04 PM
I agree with the edit button, at least 10 minutes would be optimal. I understand we don't want someone going back later to edit or delete something after everyone has already read it, but 5 minutes is definitely too short. Especially when posting an article, the article may collapse after posting it and one needs more than 5 minutes to reformat the article to make it more properly spaced and readable.

thewookie
06-04-12, 02:16 PM
Especially when posting an article, the article may collapse after posting it and one needs more than 5 minutes to reformat the article to make it more properly spaced and readable.

Just an FYI -- you can sometimes catch most reformatting changes by using the preview feature before you post. I agree five minutes is pretty quick, especially for the grammatically and spelling challenged folks like myself. but good thing I am a Squad Leader and I can edit my post forever,,,, hahhaha (as i bite my pinky)

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/thewookie_photos/Dr_Evil.jpg

ameriken
06-04-12, 03:17 PM
Just an FYI -- you can sometimes catch most reformatting changes by using the preview feature before you post. I agree five minutes is pretty quick, especially for the grammatically and spelling challenged folks like myself. but good thing I am a Squad Leader and I can edit my post forever,,,, hahhaha (as i bite my pinky)

Yeah, I do format and preview before posting, but sometimes find it even changes my formatting like it has a mind of its own. The bigger problem is after you post it, and have to go back to correct some typos or fix some of the formatting. When I save the correction, then the entire article collapses and I have to go back and fix it one more time and that is usually when I run out of time. Needs at least 10 to 15 minutes.

m14ed
06-11-12, 03:57 AM
Just a Quick aside...

has anyone tried their LN Search Function lately ????

thewookie
06-11-12, 07:24 AM
Just a Quick aside...

I just did and it did not appear to work -- well, it didn't work.

ameriken
06-11-12, 10:35 AM
The button at the top right didn't work for me, I had to go in to do an advanced search (in the forum section).

Marine1955
06-11-12, 01:21 PM
Just a Quick aside...

can't get it to work either ?

DanM
06-12-12, 12:56 PM
Use Google.... "keyword" site:www.leatherneck.com

DanM
06-12-12, 07:19 PM
Special Request here please....

Could someone start the "Countdown Clock" for the Corps Birthday PLEASE??

I'm sure one of two of us will adjust it for thinking about the National Elections....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110297-Marine-Corps-Birthday-Clock

Quinbo
06-13-12, 12:54 AM
just cruising around the site I noticed that I have a VCard attached to my profile. I let linux decide how to open it and it selected Gedit. There you go in plain text is my e-mail address. Can other people or even a web crawler, spam bot do this too?

kaelobo
07-19-12, 03:38 PM
I really enjoyed the old floor mat, but like everything else time waits for no one. i guess iam finally getting old, i remember listening to tony Bennett with my dad i thought what the fuc* is this, iam sure he had his option about joe cocker, seems we were alot closer here on LN before, i even look forward to get en on line here ,now not so much, oh well sh*t happens. s/f

sempidr
07-19-12, 07:06 PM
I really enjoyed the old floor mat, but like everything else time waits for no one. i guess iam finally getting old, i remember listening to tony Bennett with my dad i thought what the fuc* is this, iam sure he had his option about joe cocker, seems we were alot closer here on LN before, i even look forward to get en on line here ,now not so much, oh well sh*t happens. s/f

Well said, and very true. I have been totally disappointed in this new "floor mat", (gotta love it). Guess come renew time, I am going to have to be a free member. I have the message that I need to register, every time I sign in, show up on the right side of the screen. My biggest bi-och is the viewing size of the jpgs. This is a pain and can be fixed. Whoever set up the page, fed in some weird screen restraints. This has been a complaint for a long time.
This site did slip back on the last upgrade, like trying to get up Hill 244 in a Southeast Asian monsoon. It isn't as nice or as friendly as it was.

So sad.!?!!?!

Sempidr
It sucks, getting old.
Hang in there, kaelobo:thumbup:
Will become a time when
it doesn't matter

DanM
07-19-12, 08:13 PM
Well said, and very true. I have been totally disappointed in this new "floor mat", (gotta love it). Guess come renew time, I am going to have to be a free member. I have the message that I need to register, every time I sign in, show up on the right side of the screen. My biggest bi-och is the viewing size of the jpgs. This is a pain and can be fixed. Whoever set up the page, fed in some weird screen restraints. This has been a complaint for a long time.
This site did slip back on the last upgrade, like trying to get up Hill 244 in a Southeast Asian monsoon. It isn't as nice or as friendly as it was.

So sad.!?!!?!

Sempidr
It sucks, getting old.
Hang in there, kaelobo:thumbup:
Will become a time when
it doesn't matter

The "message" is for potential members,not registered members.

"Hello Guest, if you reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to Click here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/register.php) to register and in a few simple steps, ".

If you click the "Save" box next to log-in,you will not see the message or just log-in and ignore the "potential new member" message.

ize as photos posted to the albums.Members are posting oversized "copy and pasted" from outside sources .

m14ed
07-25-12, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Today 12:28 PM ,
by FoxtrotOscar (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?55166-FoxtrotOscar)

Last Post: Today 12:07 PM
by FistFu68 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?26050-FistFu68) http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/buttons/lastpost-right.png (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110785-Marines-Pick-Colt-for-New-Pistol&p=867881#post867881)

Could that "GO to Last Post" arrow be re-located so that it
can be accessed at the front of a long name?

rather than impossible to click when it's invisible after the end of a
long name ???

marine1011
07-25-12, 12:16 PM
Okay. I am sick and tired of Gene Overstreet popping his mug up after I have closed the tab and go from page to page. All right already, we know Gene Overstreet now owns the site. but that tab is irritating as hel!.

DanM
07-25-12, 12:50 PM
Okay. I am sick and tired of Gene Overstreet popping his mug up after I have closed the tab and go from page to page. All right already, we know Gene Overstreet now owns the site. but that tab is irritating as hel!.

Use Firefox,it doesn't pop up at every page like Internet Explorer does.

FoxtrotOscar
07-25-12, 01:07 PM
Use Firefox,it doesn't pop up at every page like Internet Explorer does.

I use Firefox and it pops up each and every time on every page...!!!

marine1011
07-25-12, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, don't work though. things still pops up with firefox and sometimes freezes activity for 10 or 15 seconds. another idea would be to get rid of it

ChuckH
07-25-12, 01:44 PM
I run Firefox 14.0 and it works fine... He stays buried where he belongs.. :)

Is your block pop-ups box checked?

Marine1955
10-05-12, 10:10 PM
Can you download this game and place it in the forum of games ???
or have your IT guys do it? it's a fun game...

It's called http://jewel-quest-2.soft32.com/free-download?gclid=CJ_M_p-067ICFQioPAodqHEADA

(http://jewel-quest-2.soft32.com/free-download?gclid=CJ_M_p-067ICFQioPAodqHEADA)

m14ed
12-01-12, 06:46 PM
Yah know.....

I'm not complaining - cause the worse it gets, the more Usual it seems...

We could also use a ADMINSTRATOR NOTIFICATION "THINGY...

when you want to "Notify an Administrator"

Upcoming Events
Upcoming Reunions

06/20/13 -
Hotel Co 2/7 1st Platoon Reunion 2013 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/buttons/lastpost-right.png (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=290&c=3)

Doesn't work.....
"The LINK"
Re Direction,
what ever...

Leatherneck Message Invalid Event specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sendmessage.php)

UN-FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE ....

DanM
12-01-12, 07:49 PM
Leatherneck Message

Invalid Event specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sendmessage.php)

UN-FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE ....

The Link was right in front of you,
"Invalid Event specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sendmessage.php)" just click on administrator (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sendmessage.php). Or you can use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page.