PDA

View Full Version : Random fleet life questions.

Time Bandit
09-18-11, 09:15 AM
I'm still in student status about to ship to Jacksonville NC but I only have about 2 months until I finally hit the fleet.

Fitness is a huge part of my life and I'm usually on a workout program of some sort 6 meals a day, 3-5 gym days a week type of program, my question is do you really have time for all of that in the fleet/ when you get deployed? PT as a unit is ok sometimes but a lot of times I disagree with some things(maybe that's just PT in A/C school though)

Do we get weekends off?

Another question is I would like to have a guitar and tv but seeing as I can barely fit everything I own in the bags here with just the required stuff(uniforms mostly) Everyone seems to buy stuff when they get to their station and then sell it or give it away when they have to leave, its not uncommon to see free 32inch flat screens in the hallways around here. How is it when you get to your duty station?

I appreciate any feedback.

Edit: My MOS is CH-46 Airframer if that will help.

BGW
09-18-11, 02:18 PM
No one can answer that. Each unit is different in their own regard. But going to the wing most likely your shop probably wont do any mandatory PT, unless you have a motivated NCO or SNCO. Usually if its a deployable unit the maintainer shops are to busy to do any sort of shop PT or even a whole squadron PT.

I dont know why you would be worried about buying a guitar and a tv when your about to get to your unit in two months.... You can wait. But yah usually when people hit their MOS schools they tend to buy a lot of dumb **** because their a bunch of dumb asses who seem unable to think of the long term, which is why the end up leaving behind alot of nice things.

There really is no point on asking any questions about what to expect, your just going to have to find out the hard way.

BGW
09-18-11, 02:21 PM
Hey wait a second isnt your MOS like eight to nine months long?

Time Bandit
09-18-11, 03:07 PM
The SSgt. who game me my orders made it sound like we would be moving over to V22 Ospreys because the CH-46's are phasing out but from what Ive been told the Corps has been phasing them out for the past 8+ years and that their is still squadrons out there going strong with 46's, I'm not 100% sure where I'll be.

BGW
09-19-11, 04:40 PM
What are you talking about?

Time Bandit
09-19-11, 09:40 PM
You asked if the MOS was about 9 months long. No its a 5 year contract, with a possible changeover to Ospreys.

FaDeD
09-20-11, 10:22 AM
relax boot, dont buy anything maybe focus on training.

Redpatcher0481
09-20-11, 04:03 PM
He meant your MOS school being 9 months, not your contract.. Facepalm..

BGW
09-20-11, 06:25 PM
Yah I meant the school house, I guess I should have said that. I only ask because according to your profile you graduated boot camp in May of this year, and its almost October and your saying that you have two more months until you hit the fleet. MCT is also a month long after boot camp. So that leaves five to six months of your MOS school.

I was under the impression most Aviation maintance type MOS's were about nine months to about maybe more then a year of training.

Time Bandit
09-20-11, 06:33 PM
Ahh, I graduated MCRD PI May 13th, and I'll graduate C school December 15th.

SgtT42
09-20-11, 08:13 PM
The best advice I can give is once you get to your squadron do what you have to do to keep your PT schedule. More than likely you will PT as a shop (airframes) and the rest will be up to you. Keep in mind since you will be "0" level airframes your hours will be different everyday. Also with that you may work 1 or more weekends a month since you will be at the mercy of flight schedules. Biggest thing is stay motivated and find a schedule that works. If your a single guy in the barracks you should have no problems.

And don't buy a thing until you get settled into you barracks with whatever squadron you end up with. Which if you headed to MCAS New River you'll be working with V22's. And don't waste your money and the thousands of strip clubs that open at noon in Jacksonville. My two cents from being stationed there. Good Luck!

Tennessee Top
09-20-11, 11:46 PM
It's real tempting to blow money on stuff you don't need when you're single and living in the barracks (most of us have been there done that). The only bill you should have is maybe a car payment.

Best advice I can give you, financially speaking, is once you get settled in with your squadron establish some sort of automatic savings plan. Savings bonds are garaunteed by the government (unlike bonds and mutual funds) and have a decent interest rate. With them automatically coming out of your paychecks you won't miss them and they'll be maintained in safekeeping for you till you need them. You can also name a beneficiary so that if you die your next of kin can get that money. If you begin saving as soon as you report aboard, you will have a sizeable amount when you get out if that's what you want to do (and you will be glad you had the foresight to save that money). Save as much as you can while you don't have any bills because once you do start accumulating bills it will be much more difficult to save anything at that time. Believe me, there are far too many Marines who regret not saving any money when they were young/single and had the opportunity.

As for PT; you will just have to wait and see what your work schedule is and then add in your PT schedule.