PDA

View Full Version : School? and the Marines? yes! profile.

aacosta13
09-18-11, 12:02 AM
I recently spoke to a Marine Recruiter and i told her that i went to Pomona alternative school and received my diploma there. Unfortunately, i was informed that i was not able to join because of the school i attended. I went back to the school and they informed me that it was considered a high school and had the California credentials, and my diploma was considered a high school diploma. I spoke the secretary at the school, and she said she can speak to any recruiter about the school. i was wondering if i can take another step to join the Marines. I hope to hear from you guys soon. thank you for your time.

sparkie
09-18-11, 08:10 AM
They have become very fussy about schooling. I know a kid who had to take 1 college course just because he took a private course to catch up on his high school credits, although he graduated high school. Home schoolers can almost forget it nowadays.
Since your school was 'credentialed', I hold out good hope for you. Good luck. [but I don't know everything].

CajunPOG
09-18-11, 05:54 PM
I went to an alternative high school too and ran into a similar problem. What I ended up doing was getting several notarized letters and a copy of my transcript. It was a hassle, but there's usually a way around it. You may try obtaining a copy of your transcript from either your school or the district. Talk to your recruiter and see if that would work.

aacosta13
09-18-11, 06:45 PM
I just want to say thank you to all of your for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try all of your advice. thank you again.

YLDNDN6
09-19-11, 11:19 AM
That calls up the "GED" question, because a recruiter told my step son that if he gets his GED he will be eligible to enlist. What is the difference? He attends an alternative education school and will get a GED upon completion this winter.

MOS4429
09-19-11, 11:32 AM
Also, 15 units in college can help get around that issue, but that does time time to rack up 15 units, at least one semester.

Be persistent and don't settle for the first "No."

CajunPOG
09-20-11, 09:34 PM
Also, 15 units in college can help get around that issue, but that does time time to rack up 15 units, at least one semester.

Be persistent and don't settle for the first "No."

My college credits didn't get me around the issue when I tried. It might be different at his MEPS station, but for some reason, going to college wasn't enough proof that I went to high school. Had to get transcripts.