PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for some older wisdom/opinions/words....

IHaveEGA843
09-17-11, 03:49 PM
So I've been trying to recruit 2 people in so I can grad PFC and my luck has been sour in this area.

I'm currently taking swimming lessons at the local Y and since there's a high school swimming team that practices there I decided to attempt my luck BUT I would ask the parents first before approaching any of the kids.

Well, I did approach a parent and just asked if I may talk to his son about possibly considering enlisting in the Marine Corps. He looked at me and said ,"well....hmmm....if you didnt but is a prepatory high school......these kids are going to achieve more by going t college you know.....good luck though."

I just said thanks sir and didn't even approach any more parents but as time passed and I thought more it angered me more.

I thought to myself over the days and looked for this guy again to tell him how I felt about his response, I wanted to let him know that when his son is signing up for college for x amount of years that there's someones son/daughter out there swearing in giving x amount of years to this country, while his son is expanding his english lit that there's someones son/daughter expanding their knowledge of how effective and efficient teamwork works, that when his son is out there struggling to find a part time job for some more cash aside from what he gets from his parents that there's someones son/daughter struggling with being in country and not being able to keep contact with their family.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to tell him while he goes out and "achieve more" that there's somebodies kid fighting to give him the priviledge to achieve more. Obviously he feels his soon is better then joining the mil and college is the way but not looking at how many college grads are jobless fresh out of college.

I just wanted to dig up in his **** and let him know that while he's sitting here watching his son swim that there's some kid sitting and wondering when is their mother/father coming back because they were more of a person to sacarfice the time of watching their kids do activities to protect this country.

I don't have kids so I really can't relate so that's why I wanted to ask y'all.

Am I right for feeling the way I do or is it something I should just let roll......all words/opinions wanted.

CajunPOG
09-17-11, 05:41 PM
You're always going to run into people like that. Some people either are ignorant, some are apathetic in regards to the military. Most people's knowledge of the military is entirely comprised of movies and CNN, both of which are either narrow slivers of what we're about or just wrong entirely. I just smile and go about my business.

joseywales
09-17-11, 06:16 PM
I find this to be more and more and more common nowadays, not just caring what other people do and say but actually getting angry about it to the point of confrontation.
How about caring just about what you say and do?
Otherwise you're like a world policeman, trying to right every wrong.
And always being in the right, and everyone else wrong.
This is a trend these days.

PJones64
09-17-11, 06:19 PM
yeah, its a kinda thought police where we cant have anyone disagreeing with us, scary

Lisa 23
09-17-11, 06:30 PM
Nothing wrong with how you feel, but you have to also keep in mind that the military "isn't" for everyone. Just because you want to serve your country doesn't mean everyone else should. There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to go to college instead of the military.

IHaveEGA843
09-17-11, 06:42 PM
I wasn't mad at the rejection but just how it was said, I've been rejected on this issue many times and leave with a "well thanks for your time."

I just didnt like the "he'll/they'll achieve more" comment....Maybe I took it the wrong way but I just how I felt.....

Sgt Leprechaun
09-17-11, 11:24 PM
Nope. That's about typical. All you can do is look at them sadly, shake your head, and say "Well, you are missing your chance at greatness"...then go on your way.

Sergeant M
09-18-11, 12:59 AM
If his kid was really motivated to join the Marine Corps, then I am sure that his father would support him in any direction that he chose. If you want to talk to the kid, see if he is interested, then that is your prerogative. Parents just want the best for their kids, and going to combat and facing situations that may increase your chances to lose your life, isn't normally considered best for your kids. This is especially the case for someone who doesn't have any military experience, and doesn't really know what we do.