PDA

View Full Version : An aspiring Marine...

WBMarine04
09-14-11, 08:30 AM
Hello, I' am 20 years old, a current college student, and an aspiring Marine. My father served four years in the 1980's and he plays a big part in my motivation to enlist. I have done my research extensively about the Corps, started training for basic, and have asked my father almost every question I have been curious about. I have been told what it takes to be a Marine. I have been told of the transformation and the new way of life the Corps brings a Marine. My father has no regrets enlisting whatsoever, says it was made for him. I feel that this lifestyle is the right thing for me, but I just want to be 100% going into it, no regrets. I hear the call, I am up for the challenge, but I want to hear from more than just one Marine... Do you have any regrets? Anything you would have done differently?

Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

-Pat

SSgt Lamie
09-14-11, 09:22 AM
I seem to get this question a lot when I go home and visit friends and family. Everyone seems to ask me if I had the choice to go back and do it all over again, would I?

Everytime I have the same answer, without a doubt.

I feel that the Marine Corps has made me into the man I am now. I look at everyone that I grew up with and knew in High School and compared to them I seem to be the only one who has actually done anything and made something out of myself.

For me, if during my next reenlistment I was told that the only way to reenlist would be to do Boot Camp all over again, I would be on the yellow footprints again in a heartbeat.

WBMarine04
09-14-11, 09:43 AM
That's good to hear. I feel like I will be able to handle it mentally and physically, but it's things like this article that make me second guess about joining the military in general. http://educate-yourself.org/cn/jointhemarines20apr05.shtml

sparkie
09-14-11, 09:50 AM
I regret that I was too young and stupid to make it my career.

MOS4429
09-14-11, 11:14 AM
No regrets.

Can you be 100% sure of anything in life? Aren't there only two things certain in life? Death and taxes?

Sometimes you have to go with your gut and take the risk.

Yeah, there will always be those to take more of a pacifist position, and there are plenty who were in the military, became disillusioned, and make it their role in life to dissuade others.

I had a history teacher in high school who was a Marine in Vietnam. He felt it was his role to dissuade as many as he could from joining the military, specifically the Marine Corps, told horror stories, all about the brainwashing tactics, how it's not what it seems, you'll be a trained killer. I heard him and joined anyway. Out of 45 in my graduating class, three joined the Marine Corps and a total of 7 went into the military. Not a one had a regret.

YLDNDN6
09-14-11, 11:44 AM
No regrets. None. Never. Even though I did not make a career out of it, the Corps has continued to serve me, well into my life. You see, people look at Marines differently than they do other people. They know that Marines have something extra to offer, and can be counted on when things get hairy. There have been numerous opportunities open for me, including excellent employment offers, due in part to my Marine veteran status. It has always been a win-win situation because I honestly feel that I bring more to the table than the average civilian, and employers have also seen that. Don't hesitate or overthink this. If this particular door has opened for you...run through it and don't look back.

MOS4429
09-14-11, 12:00 PM
No regrets. None. Never. Even though I did not make a career out of it, the Corps has continued to serve me, well into my life. You see, people look at Marines differently than they do other people. They know that Marines have something extra to offer, and can be counted on when things get hairy. There have been numerous opportunities open for me, including excellent employment offers, due in part to my Marine veteran status. It has always been a win-win situation because I honestly feel that I bring more to the table than the average civilian, and employers have also seen that. Don't hesitate or overthink this. If this particular door has opened for you...run through it and don't look back.

Well said. :thumbup:

I don't tell people about my prior service in the Marine Corps, but somehow they always find out, and when they need something done, who do they go to? It's not the guy who was in the Army.

YLDNDN6
09-14-11, 12:49 PM
Respect. Worth its weight in gold. Buy that man a beer.

DrZ
09-14-11, 02:02 PM
The Marine Corps is like every other thing you do in your life. You can make it a good experience or you can make it a miserable time in your life. You really do get out of it what you put in. I believe the Corps made me who I am today. It gave me focus and drive. It taught me self reliance while still having the ability to rely on others if needed. It taught me how to plan and how to come up with a contingency plan if the first one falls flat. It also gave me an extended family. My family started in 1775 and continues to grow today. I can talk to a WW2 Marine or a Marine so new his boot camp suntan is still in place...and we will have a mutual understanding and a familiarity that many will never experience.

If you want to join....then join. Do so with the understanding you will work hard to earn the title but it will be one that you will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Make sure you come back with the title so we can welcome you into the family.

WBMarine04
09-14-11, 02:51 PM
Thanks for your input Marines, I hope to earn that title soon. I do have one more question, would I have trouble enlisting with an expunged misdemeanor marijuana charge? I haven't smoked or even...

Apache
09-14-11, 03:58 PM
Without hesitation I would do it again
I grew up at boot.
17 from the Chicago area and I thought a tough kid

After the first step off the bus ,I realized who the Alpha was.

Many other training classes,many assignments
The core values are still a part of my life

Sempervivum Fi