PDA

View Full Version : Son wants to be a Marine

meable
09-14-11, 04:57 AM
Not sure if I have the right forum for this question, but my 19 year old son wants to be a Marine. Problem is, he has admitted to use of marijuana 20 times in the past two years and was arrested for...

doc h fmf
09-14-11, 05:27 AM
Meable could you fill out your profile page please, thank you its part of the rules thank you.

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

meable
09-14-11, 05:39 AM
Sorry Doc...didn't realize profile wasn't filled out after registration. Filled out now.

Meable

SgtMcCrory
09-14-11, 05:50 AM
All he has to do is lie about the marijuana use. don't sweat the weed smoking. realistically it's less harmful than alcohol and you know how jar heads like to throw beer down. <br />
<br />
it's something he'll...

meable
09-14-11, 05:56 AM
Agreed that he'll work the drug issue out of himself, but disagree with the lying part. My question hinges on his ability to gain entry...he's already disclosed his usage. Lying is not an option in my opinion, nor should it be. I would hope that core values aren't that different from one service to the next.

Meable

joseywales
09-14-11, 07:01 AM
Everyones capable of being a good member of society, problem is, actions speak louder than words. If that shoplifting had been a barracks theft, he would have received a court-martial and a boot

Old Marine
09-14-11, 09:51 AM
Pretty hard getting into any military these days with all the cut backs. Take him to a recruiter. They are more up to speed than anyone on here.

MOS4429
09-14-11, 10:59 AM
Lying is not good advice, especially since he has admitted it.

The best advice is for he to keep going to the recruiter and going through the recruiter.

Quick question, though. You have posted your question about what YOU want and what YOU are doing to get his life on the straight and narrow. What about your son? Does he want to change? Does he want to go into the military? Is he taking responsibility for his actions? Or is this more about the structure and discipline you know he needs?

I have a friend whose son was in a similar situation. The only branch that would take him was the Army. Dad was gungho about it and did all that he could for his son. His son went in the Army, but he never took responsibility for his actions. He is a good kid, but he also has a total lack of discernment and judgment. Long story short, he ended up being booted out.

First step is your 19 year old son manning up and taking full responsibility, and then he wanting to make the changes himself, pursuing that change, and he constantly going to the recruiter expressing his desire to do whatever it takes.

Tennessee Top
09-14-11, 11:17 AM
Pretty hard getting into any military these days with all the cut backs. Take him to a recruiter. They are more up to speed than anyone on here.

You didn't read his post. They've already BEEN to a Marine recruiter.

We do have core values in our Corps. They are honor, courage, and committment. I agree with the OP; there is nothing honorable about not telling the truth. Advising somebody to lie about anything is bull crap (that advice coming from a NCO is embarrassing for our service and makes you wonder if they have ever heard of our leadership traits...integrity in particular). The shop-lifting and marijuana use are both illegal so equally bad. I am not a recruiter but in today's climate, I would guess your son's chances of enlisting in any branch are slim at best. Your son is not in highschool any longer and needs to grow up with or without the help of the military. If you have not done so already, your first step should be to kick him out of the house for his "wake up call". You are not doing him any favors by supporting him and letting him depend on you. Time to cut the apron strings. He will sink or swim.

Old Marine
09-14-11, 12:13 PM
You didn't read his post. They've already BEEN to a Marine recruiter.

We do have core values in our Corps. They are honor, courage, and committment. I agree with the OP; there is nothing honorable about not telling the truth. Advising somebody to lie about anything is bull crap (that advice coming from a NCO is embarrassing for our service and makes you wonder if they have ever heard of our leadership traits...integrity in particular). The shop-lifting and marijuana use are both illegal so equally bad. I am not a recruiter but in today's climate, I would guess your son's chances of enlisting in any branch are slim at best. Your son is not in highschool any longer and needs to grow up with or without the help of the military. If you have not done so already, your first step should be to kick him out of the house for his "wake up call". You are not doing him any favors by supporting him and letting him depend on you. Time to cut the apron strings. He will sink or swim.

I did read his complete post, and that is the very reason I told him to have his son go and see the recruiter and if the kid really wants in, then he will keep bugging the recruiter. The person who can answer the kids questions happens to be the recruiter as he is way more up to speed than anyone on this forum.

YLDNDN6
09-19-11, 11:33 AM
I think his best bet will be to stick to the tried and true "I experimented with marijuana with my friends, have not used marijuana in the past_____months, and will never use it again." I would be greatly surprised if the shoplifting episode ever turns up anywhere if it was dropped by civilian authorities. Honesty and integrity will take him farther in life than lying to get into the Corps will. Remember, the lightbulb has to want to change....

FistFu68
09-19-11, 12:31 PM
:evilgrin: No Matter what The Outcome,If He get's in or Not? Manin Up and Telling the TRUTH Will make Him a Better Man in Tha Long Run,and Hopefully an Even Better MARINE,GoodLuck 2 Him and You Oh and Thanx for serving The USAF Saved our Bacon a Few X's with the B-52 ARCLITE Strikes!!! Just My 2 Cent's worth :beer: :iwo:

SgtMcCrory
09-20-11, 02:57 AM
I think his best bet will be to stick to the tried and true "I experimented with marijuana with my friends, have not used marijuana in the past_____months, and will never use it again." I would be greatly surprised if the shoplifting episode ever turns up anywhere if it was dropped by civilian authorities. Honesty and integrity will take him farther in life than lying to get into the Corps will. Remember, the lightbulb has to want to change....

really as long as the weed is behind him there's no reason the corps needs to know he's ever tried it.

YLDNDN6
09-20-11, 08:47 AM
really as long as the weed is behind him there's no reason the corps needs to know he's ever tried it.
So it would seem, but if junior is ever considered for a security clearance and they do a background investigation, out jumps the monkey and the game is over for him. When I was investigated, they talked to EVERYONE I may have even possibly known or hung out with. The truth about junior is bound to come out of one of them....

26XXer
09-20-11, 05:30 PM
I'm currently on recruiting duty... as a SNCOIC. Neither of those two things should be disqualifying for service, but be prepared for his job choices to be limited... there won't be a Intel contract in his future, but if he really wants to be a Marine, so long as he stays out of trouble, neither of those two things should prevent it.

joseywales
09-21-11, 08:49 AM
If the son wants to me a Marine, how come he aint on here?

thewookie
09-21-11, 11:34 AM
If the son wants to me a Marine, how come he aint on here?

Good question.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-21-11, 08:55 PM
Lying is always bad and the Sgt is giving you crap advice. Just that simple. He did what he did, and it needs to be dealt with, plain and simple.

meable
09-21-11, 09:45 PM
Thanks all for your responses. We've been involved with the recruiter since before my original post, and things seem to be moving along. As was mentioned earlier, neither the marijuana use or the shoplifting appear to be automatic disqualifiers at this point. My son goes to the MEPS next week for his initial processing, and barring any medical issues, it looks like he should be okay.

As far as his desire to be a Marine goes, he's been going to the recruiter led PT sessions 3 times a week and seems to be pretty proud of the fact that he at least seems to have a chance to join. I can honestly say that I am impressed with the recruiters at his recruiting station, and even if he is ultimately disqualified for enlistment for some reason, I know his exposure to and involvement with these young professionals will have done him some good.

Meable