PDA

View Full Version : Intel security clearance question

KianAWM
09-14-11, 01:54 AM
Hey so, I've been thinking of joining the marines when I'm 18 in a few months and the only two MOS that I like is infantry and intelligence.

I kind of what to do intelligence just because less seemingly dramatic labor work.

Short version: How high of an impact is what my mother says about me as a teenager going to affect their opinion of whether or not I should be granted security clearance, if I'm 18?

Imo, this sounds like something that should not be taken very highly, considering tons of people have bad relationships with their parents, especially in teenage years.

Anyway so my full explanation question is, I've been reading about all the stuff that can get you denied security clearance for some intel jobs and I wouldn't have most the things there.

The only thing is that I'm not sure what they will take into account on what people say about me and who they will ask beyond my references.

Anybody who knows me will say good things about me, the only person who may not is my mom depending on how our relationship is at the time of the investigation.

She may say something like me being irresponsible and all this other stuff, but I'm just wondering if that will highly impact anything because would that even matter if it was when before I was 18? Plus after becoming a marine you'd imagine any immaturity problems would most likely be non existent but who knows.

YLDNDN6
09-14-11, 11:20 AM
I'm sure you know the old saying about opinions, but, here's mine anyway. Until you are 18 or old enough to get out on your own, the most important people on this earth for you to make a favorable impression on are your parental units. See, it sounds like you want to make the Corps your first stopping off point after leaving the nest. Admirable. It's what I did, as well as many others on this site. So, to date, the only job you have had is to stay out of trouble and keep your folks happy and off your back. At first glance, it seems that you have certain reservations about you job performance thus far. Understand that being a child under 18 and being irresponsible are normally one in the same. It depends on what level of irresponsibility you are referring to. If it includes legal problems, trouble with the law, or drug and alcohol use, then, yes, this may be a problem for you. On the other hand, if your criminal record is clean and you have stayed away from the bad stuff, there may be no problem at all. Sometimes, moms just have issues, and these can easily be seen through. I think as long as you present as an eligible candidate outside of what your mother may say about you, things should be fine and dandy. Good luck and God speed.

weapons124
09-14-11, 11:47 AM
the screeners dont give a **** what your mom says. They can read through her BS a mile away. Its not their first rodeo. They only care about patterns of misconduct, criminal background and mental stability. They have dealt with many people who were interviewed regarding Marines for clearance who give them bad info on the SNM because they have a grudge or other issues with that person. if you get assigned a mos that requires a greater than "secret" security clearance be prepared for an in depth probe into your life.

KianAWM
09-14-11, 01:25 PM
Yeah, this is pretty much what I figured, thanks guise