PDA

View Full Version : B Billet Questions

cawarren
09-13-11, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, I'm still in TECOM right now, in Monterey at the DLI learning Pashto. Maybe someday I'll see what the fleet is like and get deployed too. Anyway, here's my question:

Being that I'm 2600 (specifically 2676 as far as I understand) am I locked into my MOS because of how ... quote unquote "important" ... we are, am I unable to get a B-Billet? Specifically MSG Duty.

I've heard from others we are locked in but I can't find anything.

Beltayn
09-13-11, 11:29 AM
While there is no specific order or anything that says you aren't allowed, and the MSG Recruiters will be the first ones to tell you that your chain of command cannot stop you, you will likely be discouraged from putting in for a B-billet until you are a Sergeant because of how important Pashto Lings are right now.
If MSG is something you wanna do, you have the right to do it. The minimum pre-requisite is 18 months Time On Station with your permanent unit once you hit the fleet before you can be released to go MSG, which, given the length of the training pipeline for 267x's, will likely mean well past your 3-year mark anyway.

bpatk
09-15-11, 08:28 PM
I must ask would you REALLY want to do it???? I mean, you're going to be 3+yrs in-service as stated before. With keeping your snothole clean you'd quite possibly be a Cpl with or close to cut for Sgt. You would at that time be "carrer meat" meaning you'd be in line for MSG, Sea Service or DI as that I think is all that quallify for "carrer path" duty. Also, as stated before you need your x month minnimum in fleet time so you'd be Sgt on way to SSgt before you'd be elgible for a B billet meaning you my man are "fast track" material now with your linguistic training. So my question to you is why screw up a cherry Corps/civ life training for something that the USMC will make you do anyhow??? Suck it up and wait is what I'd do. Keep in mind that your on track to be E-9 in 20 or less, and I'm talking without meritorious either!! That my Marine IS something most all Marines CAN NOT do!!!! Chin up and carry on....

Beltayn
09-16-11, 02:56 PM
With keeping your snothole clean you'd quite possibly be a Cpl with or close to cut for Sgt.
The average Marine in today's force takes 4.7 years to reach the rank of Sergeant.

bpatk
09-16-11, 07:40 PM
OOOOOOOO.K. so my age showed there. but he'd be Sgt before he's elgible I take it. Well the point was.....yeah you know what it was~!!

1stRad2671
09-16-11, 08:17 PM
Don't know if it's changed. But in my day 267X weren't eligible for B billets.