PDA

View Full Version : Ptsd?

EGTSpec
09-07-11, 05:07 PM
http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=120496

This happened here in my state to a Former Marine. As a Member of the PGRs I have been asked to stand flag line for this man. His father is a County Sheriff. I am unable to attend as it is on the other end of the state but I feel for him and send prayers out to my fallen brother, and his family and pray his pain is now over. To those suffering PTSD, please before something similar happens to you, find help.

Man Killed By SD Highway Patrol Officer ID'd

Published: September 7, 2011, 8:59 AM
Updated: September 7, 2011, 10:38 AM

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var addthis_pub="keloland";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/200/addthis_widget.js"></SCRIPT>http://www.keloland.com/_images/data/40073.jpg

CUSTER, SD - Authorities have identified the man shot and killed in the western South Dakota tourist town of Custer by a Highway Patrol officer.

Attorney General Marty Jackley on Wednesday said 22-year-old Cody Engen of Custer was the man killed by Officer Todd Albertson. Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler says Engen was a former Marine.

Authorities say Engen went on a rampage early Tuesday that included ramming his pickup truck into the sheriff's office, ransacking the building and firing numerous shots from a handgun. Wheeler says attempts to get Engen to put down his gun and surrender were unsuccessful.

The state Department of Criminal Investigation is handling the case. Jackley says he expects to have a report within 30 days. Albertson is on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

rufus1
09-07-11, 06:10 PM
Rest In Peace Now My Brother!

Burke7051
09-07-11, 06:39 PM
My Grandma and Grandpa live in Custer, their house is off the main highway to the State park outside of town. They said the whole town is in shock about it. I've been there, it's more of a little retirement community, very quiet, except for when the Sturgis Bike Rally happens in August. I'm from Gillette on the other side of the state line in Wyoming, and we used to go to Custer a lot. I am not going to rush to judgement until we know all the facts. If he had PTSD, I just hope he at least tried to seek help. Rest in peace brother.

EGTSpec
09-07-11, 07:15 PM
I goggled his name and got a facebook page with a picture of him with his Marine Buddies.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-11, 12:02 AM
Sigh.

As someone who has it, and has worked around folks that have it (2 of the 5 guys on my shift have it to a degree) I'm sorry to hear about it....

BUT (and not being there, or being him, can only speak in generalities...) Why assault the SO? Why go on a 'rampage'? What triggered it? Had he ever asked for help? Was he officially diagnosed or 'self' diagnosed? Medicated or 'self' medicated?

And the last bit (time for me to put my azzhole hat on...) just because you were in a 'war zone' does NOT mean you automatically have PTSD. I think docs and those wanting to 'help' are far too free with that term nowadays.

Even my own, while a result of 'only' one incident, is actually a 20 year culmination of hundreds of other small incidents, with 9/11 just being the 'tipping point' if you will.

Again, I'm just spitballing here, if I'm off base, by all means, let loose.

In the end, I hope he found peace...but this sure is the hard way to do it.

tripledog
09-09-11, 10:48 PM
I have a very close and personal friend that I give free rent to. He has it bad. We live in the country. He was a door gunner in Nam. He cannot tell the truth from the false. He cannot fathom in the real world. I fear that if something happens to me , he and his wife , who is dying of a slow cancer death, will be lost in the same way as the story above.

The VA tries to help him, but seriously they have no clue. He takes all kinds of pills and you can tell what and when he does take em. He would give his shirt off his back for you , but at the same time, he does not kknow what right and wrong is.

He and I spend a lot of time together as he works for me and I sometimes wonder what went wrong with him. I find it hard to handle sometimes, but then I realize that he is sick mentally.

It is a crying shame that good men and women have to go thru the pitfalls of life just for serving their country and trying to keep us free.

Some gave all, yes, but some are still giving in life.

May God bless them and keep them safe.

Rocky C
09-10-11, 06:50 AM
Noone knows what the triggers are for PTSD.

The VA has been trying to figure that out for over 30 years with me.

When Im not feeling to good I stay to myself so I cause no harm to innocent people.

RIP Marine and Prayers to the Family and Town.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

100% Service Connected PTSD, P&T............